PDA

View Full Version : Monument at Twin Lakes?

fishing_addict
09-02-2008, 05:02 PM
I've heard that there is there some sort of monument or memorial at the lower lake. What's the story behind it?

moonshine
09-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Been trying to figure that out myself. It's been sitting near a favorite fishing spot in our family for years. Went up in late July to stay at Mono Village and watched for it on the way in and out, but didn't see it. Going back up on the 11th, so will post a pic if I can find the spot.

jmurillo74
09-03-2008, 05:35 PM
I've never seen one at Twin, but there is one at Convict for those kids that drowned and the guys that drowned trying to save them.

fishing_addict
09-03-2008, 07:24 PM
I've never seen one at Twin, but there is one at Convict for those kids that drowned and the guys that drowned trying to save them.
What?! What happened? When was this?

jmurillo74
09-03-2008, 07:34 PM
What?! What happened? When was this?

Early 1990's I believe, some kids were out on the ice and fell through, I believe two adults went in after them, and they drowned too. The monument is to the left of the outlet along the walkway by the first parking area.

fishing_addict
09-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Early 1990's I believe, some kids were out on the ice and fell through, I believe two adults went in after them, and they drowned too. The monument is to the left of the outlet along the walkway by the first parking area.
Just did a Google search of the events that day. What a nightmare... :Shocked: Reminded me of an event that occurred near my house back in 1982 when an Air Florida flight crashed into the 14th Street Bridge over the Potomac River one winter. My dad had just gotten off the bridge when the plane hit and didn't get home that night until almost midnight. I just remember watching the aftermath unfold live on the tv and seeing the few survivors hold onto to the tail section off the plane and how helpless everyone was.

Big Country
09-04-2008, 03:34 PM
The boy scout event was tragic to say the least...I didn't google it like you guys, but if I remember correctly, they didn't recover all of the bodies either. I believe 1 or 2 were still missing.

As for the monument sign at Lower Twin, that is a good spot to fish. I don't recall the language on the sign or why it is there, but it is just a few hundred yards past the marina on the left side (lake side) if you are heading west towards Upper Twin. It's a easy hike to rocks below and the fishing is good there with your standard baits.

If I go by lower twin this weekend, I take a photo and post it.

Rubble
09-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Not to change the subject,as I'm as interested as the rest of you about the Twin Monument.But I wonder how many of you have seen MY favorite Memorial....located along Rush Creek.......

fishing_addict
09-04-2008, 11:22 PM
The boy scout event was tragic to say the least...I didn't google it like you guys, but if I remember correctly, they didn't recover all of the bodies either. I believe 1 or 2 were still missing.

As for the monument sign at Lower Twin, that is a good spot to fish. I don't recall the language on the sign or why it is there, but it is just a few hundred yards past the marina on the left side (lake side) if you are heading west towards Upper Twin. It's a easy hike to rocks below and the fishing is good there with your standard baits.

If I go by lower twin this weekend, I take a photo and post it.
Cool, thanks BC.

Glenster51
09-05-2008, 12:32 PM
If you're talking about Twin Lakes Bridgeport, there was a guy who lived in a cabin on that side of the lake. This was decades ago. Anyways, an avalanche took the cabin with him in it. It all ended up in the lake. The monument is a memorial.

fishing_addict
09-05-2008, 12:59 PM
If you're talking about Twin Lakes Bridgeport, there was a guy who lived in a cabin on that side of the lake. This was decades ago. Anyways, an avalanche took the cabin with him in it. It all ended up in the lake. The monument is a memorial.

Thanks Glenster, been wondering about this for some time.

Big Country
09-10-2008, 03:43 PM
I didn't get up there this past weekend, so for now, I would go with what the last guy said.