PDA

View Full Version : Camping and fishing in Mission Bay with a wake up call.

Ire
09-02-2008, 04:59 PM
I left for the weekend for some camping and fishing in Mission bay.

We started early Friday for nothing. It was low tide and the fish just did not show up for us. So we sat around and watched some TV in my friends Trailer.

At about 5pm I said hey lets hit the fishing again. He said sure, so we went to the rocks and started to toss the big hammers. In just a few casts I managed this: All fish were CPR'ed
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/ironfelix2008/0829081846.jpg
Right after that he got a Corvina.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/ironfelix2008/0829081917.jpg

Then again the fishing died. Once the sun fell enough so that I could not see well I decided to head in. My friend agreed. Then we enjoyed some smoked salmon for dinner.

The next morning we had crepes, then went straight for fishing.
For a big Skunk. Nothing not even a single bite all day. :evil:

After that his church had a big pot luck for dinner. It was enjoyable, the best item was his dads posole. We went to soak bait at night but could not see well enough to really do it safe enough to be comfortable.

The next morning we decided to head back early. So breakfast was traditional bacon and eggs. Then I packed my tent and we were off to the OC.

Then about half way home my friends tire started to make a funny noise. At first I thought it was the freeway being damaged but I looked and it was just fine.
Then I said "Hey man I think there is something wrong with your tire" He was already starting to pull to the shoulder as I said that. I opened my door to the smell of burnt rubber.
Then I got out and looked to find this.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/ironfelix2008/0901081215a.jpg

Then we took off the tire to see this.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/ironfelix2008/0901081215.jpg

His tire had blown out and almost fell apart, probably sending us to our death on the center divider. His wake up call was to make sure his car was in better order than it was, mine was to not drive with people who don't take care of their things.

Sorry for any spelling or grammar errors I have to fly now and don't have time to check it.

christainmetalhead909
09-02-2008, 05:38 PM
you sure thats a corvina? looks like a small white sea bass.

Wingnut
09-02-2008, 05:50 PM
That's a Corvina, very cool. :Cool: Glad you guys are okay with the tire incident. :Shocked: Thanks for the report. :Big Grin:

Ire
09-02-2008, 06:14 PM
you sure thats a corvina? looks like a small white sea bass.

When my friend first caught it I thought it was a small WSB. However it started to thrash around and I saw the inside of his mouth was orange at that point I sort of knew it was a Corvina. When he got it up then I saw the teeth and the really big goofy fang in the middle I confirmed what I had guessed.

I am also happy that nothing happened to us because of the tire.

fish_sauce
09-02-2008, 08:48 PM
whats that red stuff in the corvina's mouth?! Looks gnarly! Mission Bay looks like a nice spot for a weekend camping trip for me next year :Wink:

I know its kinda late to tell you this, but good thing you guys are okay! I tell my customers all the time (work in the car repair business) that it's very important to do a quick check over your tires before getting in the car for a freeway trip (especially during summer) an under-inflated or over-inflated tire could cause serious wear issue and pose a serious safety risk (more likely to blow out) both to those who are in the car and those who share the road around them...When you drive, the friction from the tires contacting with the road surface generates heat. As the tires heat up, air expands, creating greater pressure. during the summer months, the heat spike creates a higher risk of tire damage (when over-inflated) due to heat expansion, and if there is a weak spot in the tire (such as uneven tire wear, or if the tire hit something on the road) it will more than likely blow up.

Ire
09-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Oh yeah, while he was thrashing around he tore out his gill. I don't really know if he made it. He took off just fine when we let him go. It was only one section of his left gill the rest remained intact.
Also the place is campland. it is really nice, check it out.

Edit: Thanks for the tire tips.