PDA

View Full Version : King Harbor, Redondo

kgselect
09-02-2008, 03:39 PM
My son and I went to Redondo Beach on Sunday hoping to rent a skiff and fish King Harbor. Arrived at 8:15am. Water in the harbor was nice and clear. Everything looked good. Went to the rental shop & was told they had no rentals available. Bummer. However, one boat would come back in at 11:30am. OK, we would fish around the jetty and pier and come back at 11:30am. Tried fishing from the harbor rock jetty with no luck. After an hour or so, decided to walk around the dock/pier and kill some time. Saw a funny pirate sail boat on the dock and a lot of people fishing from the pier. Not much action, just an occasional mackerel. Well, since we were both hungry, decided to eat an early lunch of clam chowder and assorted fried fish. Ummm. Everything seems to taste better when you are on a pier.

Anyway, went back to the rental office at 11:30am. While waiting I noticed that they had about 14 boats sitting around the dock. Apparently these boats are out of commission. Finally, the one boat came back in. After filling out the paperwork, I found out that they really only have two boats for rent. So, skiff renters beware.

Well, out we go for the afternoon bite. Everything looked good, water was clear & even got some nice live bait. Unfortunately, fishing was a bit slow. Since there was no surface activity, we decided to fish down for halibut. Used 1/4oz weights and tailed hooked the bait. Fished a few spots, got a few bites. Finally, caught a couple of short halibuts and a decent sculpin (first time catching a sculpin in the harbor), released. Overall, slow fishing but lots of fun fishing with my son, being down at the beach and out of the heat of the San Gabriel valley.

Next time, we’ll be on our new kayak. Wont’ have to worry about getting a skiff, or the motor not working, or boat leaking . . . well, you get the idea. OK, have fun all.

Wingnut
09-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Cool report, sounds like a nice day with your son.
Thanks for sharing. :Cool: :Big Grin:

bones
09-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Many fond memories of Redondo harbor and the pier in my heart. I actually fished the breakwall on Saturday for the big old skunk with Big red but we still had fun though. The pier is always good eats too. Thanks for sharing your good time with your son. It doesn't get better than that!

flyngby
09-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Too bad you day got off to a slow start but you and the son made the best of it until the boat became available.

Sounds like a great day together and some fish to go with it!!!!!!

Look forward to more reports.

Just for info in Newport Harbor they rent Skiffs also and my personnel experience now that I have the private boat is that it is a much more versatile fishing ground.

Good luck out there and nice report.

Steve

supasportkid
09-03-2008, 08:55 PM
nice report, its nice spending time with family and friends fishing. good luck with the kayak

bergie berg
09-03-2008, 11:25 PM
thanks for the report, in my opinion kayaks are the only way to go for fishing in harbors.

one_leg
09-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Dove on a Harbor cleanup there one time.

What a mess down there!!!

Looks like fun.

O_L

moonshine
09-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Nice report. Used to fish the skiffs down there 30 years ago. Back then, bonito fishing was pretty good. Remember standing in a long line in the early morning dark just to get a skiff.

kgselect
09-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks for all the nice replies. I've fished the harbor for many years also (first with my dad, friends and now with my son) and have seen some great bites of bonita, bass, mackeral & halibut. Unfortunately, the fleet of rental skiffs is just about gone. Not sure what they are planning to do, but, it is a shame. Some nice memories down there.

Flyngby: I've been wanting to fish Newport harbor. It's been years since I've fished that area. We'll have to give it a try with the soon to be launched kayak. Thanks.