PDA

View Full Version : How to make Pho?

Lightline
09-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Any one know how to make Pho?

HEMAN
09-02-2008, 11:43 AM
it's basically a broth (mostly beef or chicken broth, you can use canned, but tastes tons better if you make the broth) with noodles. There are different types of Pho, but main one you can use thin slices of beef that are raw. They get cooked as you dip them in with the noodles and the broth.

Ricky-Ray
09-02-2008, 11:50 AM
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/my-country-my-kitchen/vietnamese-pho-rice-noodle-soup-with-beef-recipe/index.html

one_leg
09-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Pronounced FAW

BakoBassin
09-02-2008, 12:06 PM
What the pho is going on here?

Wingnut
09-02-2008, 01:21 PM
"Phobulous!" Yummy... yummy. :Envious:

Lightline
09-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Has any one actually made Pho? I need the inside soup please :Envious:

I tried to follow this guys recipe but I get confused :Envious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Kjq4sGO44

Liteliner
09-03-2008, 02:02 AM
Video was pretty correct til he got to instant noodle instead. Basically got a pot of water. Bring to a boil and add beef bones. The beef bones are only for flavor. Your gonna need to pick some beef cuts. I usually just get the shank steak cut finely. Keep this raw. I like beef tendon and oxtail and usually throw that into the pot aswell. Grill up an onion whole til the outside skin is charred and throw it in the pot. Add salt and some pho beef cubes (from asian supermarkets) for more flavor. Let it boil at a medium level for atleast two hours so the oxtail and tendon are soft. Thats pretty much how you make the soup. Very simple unless you wanna try to get fancy like the restaurants. Thats when you start messing with all the herbs.

The noodles are sold in packages and when you are ready to eat strain the noodles through a hot pot of boiling water quickly. Just soak enough to get the noodles soft. Dump it in a bowl add some chopped greeen onions and cilantro and a couple slices of whatever meat you chose. Make sure your soup is boiling hot when you put the soup into the bowl of noodles so the broth can cook the beef shank. Make sure you scoop some tendon and oxtail into your bowl. Thats the best part.... A squeeze of lime and a pinch of bean sprouts. Then you add the other ingredients however you like.

Heres some pics from last nights hmong style pho.....
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u229/lypeter23/IMG_1358.jpg
I like chow fun noodles better than the regular rice stick noodles.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u229/lypeter23/IMG_1354.jpg
Gotta have the veggies.....

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u229/lypeter23/IMG_1361.jpg
My seasoning selection......

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u229/lypeter23/IMG_1353.jpg
End result.....

hoisen sauce
sirrachi
fish sauce
black pepper
chili garlic sauce

Troutman65
09-03-2008, 02:58 AM
What the pho is going on here?

I say Pucket

one_leg
09-03-2008, 04:27 AM
I say Pucket

You do?

I say Phuket!!!

One_Leg

Troutman65
09-03-2008, 10:49 AM
You do?

I say Phuket!!!

One_Leg

Yeah O_L , that was the word I was looking for this morning. I was very tired and my answer was the best I could come up with.:LOL:

SOSO
09-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Pronounced FAW

It's more like Pha then Faw.

one_leg
09-03-2008, 11:43 AM
It's more like Pha then Faw.

Thanks for the clarification. I have never eaten an Oxtail. And the only tendons I think I have ever eaten were lil pieces in some spare ribs at my favorite Thai resturant? Are those hard things tendons? I ain't sure. She looked at me like I was crazy for leaving anything on the plate. I guess that closest thing I could equate it with is the patella(?) on the knee of a chicken leg. I ate em the next time, but I usually get the seafood curry there, so it ain't of any consequence.

O_L

bonestock
09-03-2008, 01:50 PM
ill trade my mom's secret recipe for some secret halibut honey hole coordinates. :Big Grin:

legacy1
09-03-2008, 03:48 PM
I love pho!!

Pho q.

Wingnut
09-03-2008, 04:04 PM
ill trade my mom's secret recipe for some secret halibut honey hole coordinates. :Big Grin:

Ha Ha, beat ya to it! How do you think I got all my spots? Yup, pimpin' out mom's Pho recipes. :Twisted: :Secret: :Envious:

Liteliner
09-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I have never eaten an Oxtail. And the only tendons I think I have ever eaten were lil pieces in some spare ribs at my favorite Thai resturant? Are those hard things tendons? I ain't sure. She looked at me like I was crazy for leaving anything on the plate. I guess that closest thing I could equate it with is the patella(?) on the knee of a chicken leg. I ate em the next time, but I usually get the seafood curry there, so it ain't of any consequence.

O_L

If you havent had oxtail before then go try the pho restaurant off of mcfadden and beach. Just tell them the pho oxtail. They bring out a very nice portion. The meat is very soft. Falls right off. Good stuff..... Tendons are kinda clear. Kinda chewy but soft. Also good stuff.

one_leg
09-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Ok, I will give it a shot!!!

Thanks.

O_L

WARRIORMIKE
09-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Is Pho,Faw,Pha, or what ever you call it good:Razz:

~larissa
09-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Ha Ha, beat ya to it! How do you think I got all my spots? Yup, pimpin' out mom's Pho recipes. :Twisted: :Secret: :Envious:

we're back on the subject of Pho again? omg... i need to find me a good Pho place. Cappo and myself went to this new one by our house, talk about crap. Now Cappo doesn like it :Crying:

Ricky-Ray
09-04-2008, 11:28 AM
we're back on the subject of Pho again? omg... i need to find me a good Pho place. Cappo and myself went to this new one by our house, talk about crap. Now Cappo doesn like it :Crying:

There's plenty of good Pho places in the San Gabriel Area.

Liteliner
09-04-2008, 02:57 PM

If you guys live near westminster than hit up pho 79 off of hazard and brookhurst. One of the best in the buis......

Lightline
09-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Ok...

I tired it with this

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/my-country-my-kitchen/vietnamese-pho-rice-noodle-soup-with-beef-recipe/index.html

http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2008/02/09/vietnamese-beef-noodle-soup-pho/

And something is not right!!!

The broth does not taste the same as the one in the resturant!!!

Please if some one can help me I would be much appreciated.

Pho. Pronounced "fuh".

calico killer kevin
09-04-2008, 06:51 PM
YAH PHO 54 FO FREE!!!
BEST PLACE IN THE WORLD IS PHO 54 ON BROOKHURST.
No need to make it although my mom does make it, but no place comes to PHO 54. Order the Xe Lua which means train in Vietnamiese and never look back. At like $6 a bowl it's a no brainer for a quick lunch.

Lightline
09-04-2008, 07:12 PM
how long am i supposed to boil the broth

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/441951

nismotech91
09-04-2008, 07:41 PM
I thought Pho #1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and #54 tasted all the same....

They have awesome food.

~larissa
09-05-2008, 12:09 PM

allas Ricky-Ray... we live in the Culver City Area... too far :Confused:

fish_sauce
09-05-2008, 03:53 PM
And something is not right!!!

The broth does not taste the same as the one in the resturant!!!

Please if some one can help me I would be much appreciated.

maybe you're missing the MSG....:ROFL:

imho, the broth at the restaurants are so-so. Not very impressive. The same stock gets boiled and reboild in a huge pot and left to simmer and diluted as the day goes on...

instead of using knuckle bones, try the backbone (lots of marrow there, and ribs area (lots of meat). Its pricier, but the broth will come out more flavorful/sweeter as opposed to knuckle bones. Make sure you do the cleaning process (boiling it first in a separate pot for a few minutes and rinse with water, then introduce it to the broth pot)

Don't be afraid to play around with the sugar/fish sauce ratio for taste...some moms i know add half of an apple to their broth (removed and discarded when done) believed to help curb the meaty scent. Bring it to a boild and let it simmer for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. The critical part is, you gotta collect and discard the foam that forms on the top. This can mean the difference between a mediocre stock and an excellent one.

the better pho places sweeten up their stock with chicken before they introduce the beef. Perhaps you could add some chicken broth to the broth pot instead of going with 100% water.

good luck, and lets see some pictures of your next attempt!!

one_leg
09-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Eating the spinal material of a bovine sounds like one possible way to get Bovine Spongiform encephalopathy?

tHIS IS FROM WIKIPEDIA:

The scientific consensus is that infectious BSE prion material is not destroyed through normal cooking procedures, meaning that contaminated beef foodstuffs prepared "well done" may remain infectious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_spongiform_encephalopathy#cite_note-14

fish_sauce
09-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Eating the spinal material of a bovine sounds like one possible way to get Bovine Spongiform encephalopathy?

LOL. good one, One_Leg. Almost fell off my chair laughing. :ROFL:

a few things i want to point out though...

first of all, in order to be more convincing, you shouldn't have used Wikipedia...:LOL:...although it has its uses, Wikipedia hardly serves as a credible source for scientific citations since most of the time, the author and source of data is unknown. I can probably name dozen cases where i've seen college research papers with a big fat F on it just for the mere fact that the student was lazy and cited Wikipedia on their term paper. And i'm not even in college. :D

Secondly, notice "well done" is in quotations, which is suggestive of our misunderstanding of what exactly "well done" really is. There's no misunderstanding, however, about exactly how "well done" a piece of meat that is left to simmer in a pot for three + hours. That's plenty of time for the protein structures to denature. Whether or not the genetic material for the virus strands could somehow re-assemble themselves and pose as a threat is still unclear. Additionally, boiling something for that long is certainly not "normal cooking procedure".

thirdly, if the cow is infected with Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy, coming in contact with the meat itself is enough for you to contract the disease.

For many of the vCJD patients, direct evidence exists that they had consumed tainted beef, and this is assumed to be the mechanism by which all affected individuals contracted it. Disease incidence also appears to correlate with slaughtering practices that led to the mixture of nervous system tissue with hamburger and other beef. It is estimated that 400,000 cattle infected with BSE entered the human food chain in the 1980s. Although the BSE epizootic was eventually brought under control by culling all suspect cattle populations, people are still being diagnosed with vCJD each year (though the number of new cases currently has dropped to fewer than 5 per year). This is attributed to the long incubation period for prion diseases, which are typically measured in years or decades. As a result the extent of the human vCJD outbreak is still not fully known.

in other words, you will probably have the same chances of getting infected with the disease eating pho, as you would a normal hamburger. :Wink:

one_leg
09-05-2008, 11:02 PM
You are right Fish_Sauce.

Lightline
09-06-2008, 05:00 PM
My second attempt is no sucess to make the resturant tasting pho.

Can anyone help me at making the resturant tasting pho

Re8elmonk0341
09-07-2008, 06:40 AM
Since we're on the subject to Pho...If you live near Long Beach I recommend Pho Hong Phat on Anahiem and Coronado or Pho Siagon in Cerritos (that place refill your water without asking LOL) And since I'm on the subject of good Pho places, does anyone know a good Pho place in or around the Chula Vista area. Being that it's only 7 miles away from TJ there's not too many asian resturants. There is one though Pho Vhin, it's like the Shasta of Pho....It'll get the job done but it's no Coke!!!

mg2969
09-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Pho Recipes in vegetarian and non-vegetarian versions

Here is the vegetarian one...
http://lengslog.wordpress.com/2008/04/21/lt2-vegetarian-pho-recipe/
http://www.elliemay.com/soups/VegetarianPho.html

Here is the non-vegetarian one...
http://www.soupsong.com/rpho.html
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/PHO-242324
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cooking-live/pho-bo-hanoi-beef-noodle-soup-recipe/index.html

davidth626
09-12-2008, 03:16 AM
My second attempt is no sucess to make the resturant tasting pho.

Can anyone help me at making the resturant tasting pho

just use msg....

davidth626
09-12-2008, 03:19 AM

plenty? i disagree

Mobydick
09-22-2008, 08:04 AM
just use msg....

LOTS of it too....

If you don't drink a gallon of water after you've just eaten pho...then it's not done right.

CEFishin
09-29-2008, 09:39 PM
plenty? i disagree

there a place in san gabriel called com tam, the pho is pretty almost like orange county pho....its off s/e corner of del mar ave and valley

Liteliner
09-30-2008, 05:06 PM
there a place in san gabriel called com tam, the pho is pretty almost like orange county pho....its off s/e corner of del mar ave and valley

I think the best places to eat pho have to have the name pho on the restaurants name. Pho 79 is some good eats. Pho 54 is so so. Pho 76 is yummy. Pho Ao Sien is to far but really good. Pho Thanh is to plain for me.

If you guys wanna get some chinese pho hit the Trieu Chau on the corner of westminster and brookhurst. Ask for the house special big white noodle soup. That is some good stuff. Its got shrimp, beef, pork, duck, and chicken with the big white noodles. Ahhh goood stuff.....

brando123
09-30-2008, 11:52 PM
PHO HA!!!!!! love that place. I swear they put crack in that soup im addicted to it!

Wingnut
10-01-2008, 12:06 PM
PHO HA!!!!!! love that place. I swear they put crack in that soup im addicted to it!

Ain't that the truth! :LOL:

fisherbabe
10-01-2008, 01:53 PM
May I ask if you guys found your recipe for Pho?

Im viet/chinese and can make a killer pot of pho!! Chicken pho, beef pho.. you name it.

I even have a shortcut to make it all too.. Next time i run to the grocery store, ill take a picture of the secret ingredient if you dont want to slave in the kitchen all day.

Just my 2 cents!
THANX!

Ricky-Ray
10-01-2008, 03:15 PM
I vote that Jeannie just makes a huge batch and we all go over to her place for a pho party.

All in favor?????? :)

HEMAN
10-02-2008, 08:59 AM
I !!!!!!
Free Pho.. can't be turned down..

tacklejunkie
10-02-2008, 09:06 PM
YAH PHO 54 FO FREE!!!
BEST PLACE IN THE WORLD IS PHO 54 ON BROOKHURST.
no place comes to PHO 54. At like $6 a bowl it's a no brainer for a quick lunch.

Pho 54 owns! That's a large bowl too.
I dunno about all the crazy stuff but a normal bowl of half cooked meat pho with all the toppings and I'm very happy :Surprised: A Thai Iced Tea goes good with it.

There's a place around the corner for Pho out here but not quite as good.

maxpowers
10-03-2008, 05:23 AM
Actually chicken pho (home style not restaurant style) is the best. My ex wife's mom still make it for me when I requested it. I can make it too but why...:) It is much easier than the beef pho and mucho healthier. To the guy who wanted the secret of what make the pho broth at the restaurant have that distinct flavor, you need a particular kinda herb/seed that look like a miniature ninja star. Add that to the pho broth when you're cooking it but don't eat it. that is the reason why you don't see it in your pho when you get it at the restaurant. Also pho broth can be easily frozen and re-heat. so you can save your extra broth for the next time.

fisherbabe
10-03-2008, 09:37 AM
That ninja star thing is star anise

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/xo6xo9/staranise.jpg