PDA

View Full Version : Furniture Polish on Reels?...

MikeAce00
09-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Bill Dance said so... or Maybe it was fishing edge...

Has anyone else heard that instead of rinsing your reels off with fresh water after a day in the salt, you should spray it with furniture polish which displaces the saltwater and keeps the reel oiled?

I'm kinda worried about line damage and unpleasant scents may affect fishing...

What are your thoughts on this?

Sinjin Kim
09-01-2008, 11:57 PM
I've been sticking with freshwater (mist spray) for 20+ years now and have yet to see any negative effects.

Troutman65
09-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Sounds trippy . Never heard of this before.

Nessie Hunter
09-02-2008, 07:14 AM
????????

Lot of nasty stuff in any cleaner/wax for furniture, including scents and carriers not intended for metals..

Clean fresh water......
All you need to do is *dissolve and dilute* any salt deposits or build up. All reels can take fresh water wash downs or even a dip or soak....
Try and get inside the spool edges, and as much inside as possible while working the handle, to get the job done..
Wont hurt to tighten the drags when you do it, and leave them tight until it dries out all the way.. Keeps any water from being soaked up and softening the washers.... But any 'decent quality' reel will have waterproof drag washers....

mstr fish
09-02-2008, 08:56 AM
I use freshwater only. Never had a problem.........................fish

City Dad
09-02-2008, 12:07 PM
I've tried many things to prevent corrosion from salt water. Among the least successful; Italian dressing, shaving cream, ground lamb, bleach, my own tears and more salt water.

Among the best; Tap water, filtered tap water, champaign.

Robert trout hunter
09-02-2008, 09:57 PM
I've tried many things to prevent corrosion from salt water. Among the least successful; Italian dressing, shaving cream, ground lamb, bleach, my own tears and more salt water.

Among the best; Tap water, filtered tap water, champaign.

how did you make yourself cry so much ? Did wingnuts report make you cry ?

so cal shaggy
09-03-2008, 06:39 PM
I do not know about reels but I annually give my rods a wipe down with furniture polish I tape off the guides and take off the reels before doing so.

Billy Bass
09-05-2008, 07:47 PM
I've been told that rods with furniture polish are a pain the a** if you ever want to have them recoated.

Rubble
09-05-2008, 09:22 PM
I spray my saltwater gear with Salt-X then rinse with fresh water....
Freshwater stuff gets the rinse only.After a thorough drying I wipe the Rods & Reels with a damp rag sprayed with Simple Green.

ghetto dad
09-05-2008, 10:55 PM
I spray my saltwater gear with Salt-X then rinse with fresh water....
Freshwater stuff gets the rinse only.After a thorough drying I wipe the Rods & Reels with a damp rag sprayed with Simple Green.

I thought you were supposed to rinse your gear first, then use that stuff

CraigH
09-06-2008, 07:08 AM
I've been told that rods with furniture polish are a pain the a** if you ever want to have them recoated.

That is correct - a friend of mine broke a guide on a rod that he had used furniture polish on, and tried to recoat all the guide wrappings when he replaced the bad guide. The flexcoat would "pool up" and not dry evenly. He ended up using some kind of solvent to remove the wax and then it worked fine.