PDA

View Full Version : Pond Crayfish?

troutslayer05
09-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Do you guys think that crayfish out of small ponds are okay to eat? its pretty murky but it could be okay does anyone have any thoughts?

Slims
09-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Well, I know in the south when they get the crayfish out of the swamps they do a thing where they put them in shallow clean water over a few hours, and change the water as it gets murky as the crawfish crap out all the bad stuff and live in the clean water. Search "crawfish boil" in youtube and you should get a lot of good info.

If it is any comfort to you, when I trap crawfish in the eastern sierra lakes, I clean them and eat them with no problems.

Never trapped in a socal lake before. I used to trap them in a small stream in walnut and eat them, but it has been a good 15 years since I did that and water quality is exponentially worse than 15 years ago.

EDIT: I just realized I am in the norcal eastern/sierra board so I suppose you can disregard the last paragraph. I thought I was answering a question in the socal board. So yeah, when I am in mammoth/june lake I eat them straight out of the lakes with no probs. They seem to have some kind of parasitic worm that lives on their claws though, so I would be weary of eating those, although I am pretty sure they would die in a deep boil.

Troutman65
09-01-2008, 05:00 PM
I would eat the ones that come out of Big Bear Lake and lake Gregory. water up there nice . Hopefully you won't glow in the dark after eating them.:LOL::Wink: