PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Yak Medicine

gavin310
09-01-2008, 10:46 AM
No, I don't mean the long-haired bovine found throughout the Himalayan region of south Central Asia, the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau and as far north as Mongolia, I mean what's the best medicine to keep myself from puking on boats. I never got motion sickness until a few years ago. I don't know what happened. Lots of people have recommended something called Bonine or something? Is that prescription only? What are the side effects? They say the main side effect of Dramamine is blurred vision, right? I haven't researched these meds at all, so if I could get some opinions that would be awesome. Last trip I tried using Ginger cause supposedly it worked the same as prescriptions, but no, it didn't. Damn hippies. The crew donated a bag of rockfish to me because I got so sick I had to lie down almost the entire time.

chris
09-01-2008, 11:00 AM
time on the water cured my sea sickness. while you wait you can try to use the different over the counter meds like dramamine and ginger extract i liked the dissolveable bonine in strawberry flavor.

it's important to start taking the medicine 8-12 hours in advance and to continue taking it as the directions say. i like the chewable/dissolvable kind better because if i did start get sick i could lay down and dissolve one of those under my tongue and it would help.

motionsickness is weird i never got sick on boats as a kid then as an adult i took several overnight trips with no problems until i quit smoking cigarettes the i got sick randomly on all trips for a few years, and now i usually only have bonine on my boat for other people. maybe you'll get over it too:)

samgann93
09-01-2008, 12:52 PM
bonine works great. i get the chewable kind. it doesnt make me drowsy. however dramimine make me sleepy and blurrs my vision.

i have not had any negitive side effects for bonine.

Koshaw
09-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Ever since the "Patch" came out I have used that. Works wonderful.

=)

Santa Fe Eric
09-01-2008, 02:35 PM
I use Bonine! It never make me drowsy on the water, but I get sleepy one hour after getting off the water.

jbacsaf
09-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Fisherman 57 posted an article about using ginger root. I now use ginger root capsules from the vitamin shoppe. It worked for me and did not have any side effects that I noticed. The link to the post is below. Sorry I don't know how to hyperlink it. Just copy and paste.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=17444&highlight=ginger+root

Ricky-Ray
09-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Dramamine and Bonine work. Both have some side effects one way or another. Take one the night before your trip so it's in your system. Then the morning of the trip take another one to help keep the medicine in your system. You might take one more in the afternoon if needed.

The patch or scopace works really well, but you need a prescription to get that.

Anything ginger like ginger ale, ginger candy will help calm the stomach also saltine crackers and CLEAR soda like sprite.

If your feeling nauseous, DON'T go into the galley or bunk room. The smell of the food cooking in the galley can sometimes trigger a unwelcome upswell. Head towards the center of the stern. That's where it's moving. Keep your eye on the horizon and take in some deep breaths of air.

If seasick NO alcohol or coffee, that will make it worse. Make sure you stay hydrated with water, gatorade or something like that. When you hurl your gonna be losing lot's of liquid and you need to replace that.

If you gotta hurl it's best to hurl over the side of the boat preferable towards the stern so nobody get's hit with flying matter. If not the trash can is always a good place. Try not to hurl in the bunk room or galley or else you could have quite a bunch of pissed off anglers.

Hope this helps.

mstr fish
09-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Dramamine and Bonine have worked for me. If I use Dramamine I get it in the less drowsey bottle. Have not went out without taking these so do not know the feeling first hand of being sea sick but have seen a few including my son chumming over the side...................................fish

Manny
09-02-2008, 02:59 PM
I took the Bonine at night and in the morning but i still blew chunks. Not a good day for my first ocean adventure, a full day trip at that.
I got invited to go to Castros in Mexico in 2 weeks but dont want the same thing to happen. What to do?

one_leg
09-02-2008, 03:17 PM
Well,

You should:

Eat only deepfried fast foods.

Sit at the back of the boat near the exhaust.

Drink lots of alcohol before, during, and after your trip.

Stare intently at your feet the whole time you are heading out.

Fish amongst complete newbies, in that way you won't feel so all alone.

But above all, have lots of fun. Once you conquer the queaziness it's all downhill from there.

O_L

bonestock
09-03-2008, 09:16 AM
bonine and dramamine are OTC. usually dramamine and chew on a slice of ginger or ginger candy does the trick for me.

for prescription stuff ask your doc for scopace.

DavidE
09-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Well,

You should:

But above all, have lots of fun. Once you conquer the queaziness it's all downhill from there.

O_L

Allan ... You have wayyyyy toooo much free time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and for the record THE PATCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smanx57
09-03-2008, 11:27 AM
motion-eaze
Available over the net or at walmart. It is an oil that you put behind your ear. No side effects and can be used at any time, even after sickness starts. Works for me and now I use nothing else.

ikeman
09-04-2008, 01:21 AM
Slim Jims, the spicy ones!

~larissa
09-04-2008, 06:54 AM
Well,

You should:

O_L

:EyePop: :EyePop:

:ROFL:

:Outta Here: :Bug Eyes:

buck liggett
09-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Dramamine (chewable) Fritos for something on the stomach (salt & corn) & sprite also gatorade later in the day. Always works for Me. I'm heading out of
SD sunday on a small boat probably way out? chasing albies, YFT & DoDo's

When I lose sight of land is when it gets Me, but I started using above method & works well! My 2 cents.

one_leg
09-04-2008, 11:36 AM
As a kid all I needed were Jolly Rancher ® Lemon Sticks.

Nu_AbGatr
09-05-2008, 09:51 AM
I'm sort of a homeophatic freak, so if I start getting woozy on the boat, here's a couple of things I do:

- stare at the horizon, never focus on the waves
- accupressure between your thumb and forefinger, pinch that muscle as hard as you can tolerate - releases endorphins.
- chamomile tea - works wonders for the stomach or
- sprite / 7-up

Hope that helps.

SQUIRREL
09-05-2008, 10:42 AM
my boy and I use the wrist bands that they sell at walgreens or cvs over counter and 1/2 of bonine every time you start feeling sick.

Andy

dingchavez87
09-08-2008, 08:45 PM
What I use: combo of scopalamine patch and d-amphetamine (generic adderall). Its what astronauts use and it is called scopdex. Both of the items are prescription.