PDA

View Full Version : they call me Thunderstick Sun. labor day weekend 08

kichigai1
08-31-2008, 06:14 PM
Ha - ha roll: :lol: :P just kidding

Howdy again people :D

Hope everyone is having a great Labor Day :wink: :D :!:

Now before I start the report - I'm going to let you know that I was going to originally title the report " Back in Saddle 2, Back in the Saddle Again, Can Lightning Strike 2wice etc. but i thought this title more reflected the giddy silliness i feel right now especially after 4 hours of sleep for the last 2 days. It's my attempt at Humor . Don't get me wrong i'm totally stoked right now and honestly I have to think Dfish for it. Towards the end i was ready to go to sleep wet waders and all on the beach but Dave said "hey let's try and fish sandcrabs" OK I said - and proceeded to help him dig sandcrabs - but we'll get back to this later........... On to the report.

Dave came by and picked me up this morning at 05:30 it was supposed to be 0500 but we both have been short on sleep - We were supposed to have park 626 meet us but he never called.

See what happens when you flake out :roll: :lol:

We get on the 101 and I am trying to decide where to go.I know that there is a huge NW swell off the Cali/Oregon border and it was supposed to hit today - waves at sea were predicted to be up to 24' but i think to myself we're sorta in a lee and the Channel islands should Provide a Buffer or block on the NW swell
WRONG

This is Trancas or Broad beach and a calm and deceptive 1st glance at conditions

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f331/kichigai1968/MyPictures-MIke038.jpg

looks tranquil serene and calm with perfect conditions right ? and it was until about Oooo 5 mins later when a set comes in @ 2' - 4' ( it would get worse with occasional lulls ) things are still looking allright until i notice That they're Industrial type sandbags and about 2' feet of sand missing and clumps of kelp everywhere.
We decide to stay and it is rough but doable but no fish on the Lc except this 1

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f331/kichigai1968/MyPictures-MIke039.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f331/kichigai1968/MyPictures-MIke040.jpg

after this and triping over a rock underwater i decide to leave....

on to the
next spot

Nicholas Cyn it looked nice ....if you were a surfer -

on to the next

We made a few more stops after that and ended up around a Naval base and granted it's a huge Naval base and that's all the clues you're getting
were we north or south on the base?. ehhhhhhh
In any case we can't throw LC's it 's too rough and way Too Kelpy and Salad everywhere with thundering sets every so often I'm ready to sleep when Dave says "let's fish Sandcrabs" so i helped him gather SC then it dawns on me :shock: I have no hooks or sinkers dOOOOOh
I know we might be here awhile cause Dave still wants to fish - i sorta want to sleep and choose the Oh so happy comprimise (NOW) of throwing a plastic that I've had on for a special Occasion when everything was right conditons wise. I've had this thing on for a week but am bored and throw it anyways - I catch kelp balls get caught in some kelp and feel it moving after pulling it out of weeds for 3 or 4 casts already :shock:
Naw that's just my imagination and then the headshakes start - Boo yeah a BIG Calico I think to myself ...but then It Feels like a pissed of ' But shaking it's head ..... No that isn't quite right either WOW it's really shaking it's head now. I yell DAVE! he comes over and I fight it for a few Minutes - I yell get the camera and am bringing in the fish and wrestling with it when it drops back and goes from where it came Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I decide to give it a few more tries and then as soon as I pop out of the weeds.................... I gET HIT HARD just like last time as soon as it pops out of the EELGRASS and then it wants to take my rod away from me :shock: I' quickly try to loosen my drag and am succesful and it proceeds to make a few 20 yard runs............ what is this thing? I yell for Dave again and it makes another run I'm thinking could it be ? another 1?
Well after a 10 min fight where it constantly dove for the rocks and took drag I realized it was another 1

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f331/kichigai1968/MyPictures-MIke047.jpg

What is it?

+ the correct way to measure

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f331/kichigai1968/MyPictures-MIke046.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f331/kichigai1968/MyPictures-MIke044.jpg

it was the same as yesterday sort of 3 or 4 casts and I got around a 22" and then 4 or 5 casts later a bigger 1 @ 29" strange but at the same time cool.

of course after this there was a mad scramble to find the apropiate lures and we proceded to cast over and over again for nothing except for a couple off lost lures and shortly left thereafter....with Dave more stoked
I think over the catch than I was ! now that folks is a true friend :D
THANK YOU Dave for all you've done and all you do I'm glad we got this time to fish again!
Next up TUNA :wink: :twisted:

Thank you for reading - I'm off to bed and enjoy the rest of the holiday everybody :D :!:
Mike

one_leg
08-31-2008, 06:48 PM
Very nice dude!!!

Thanks for the report.

O_L

fish_sauce
08-31-2008, 07:13 PM
back to back reports! :Cool:

congrats on the legal :Wink:

flyngby
08-31-2008, 08:56 PM
Go "Crew 70"

Nice back up to yesterday!!!!!! Legal WSB:Thumbs Up:

So what will tomorrow bring to finish off a fantastic weekend.

I seem to remember a 3 day holiday weekend that started with a friend of your on my boat in NPH and ended with you 2 on some Salmon.

Go top that weekend and get the WON prize for yourself courtesy of DANA!!!!!

Good luck tomorrow and looking for a great post.

Steve

gavin310
09-01-2008, 09:30 AM
I was just to the left of you guys battling the waves in my board shorts. I saw DFish with the perch CPR and then you guys were gone. I was hoping to introduce myself when you guys got closer. Looks like leaving was a good move though! All I got that day was a small BSP and a slab BSP, and then I snagged a 2ft shovelnose on the tail. Those waves were definitely too big to have a relaxing fishing experience.

cappo
09-01-2008, 09:51 AM
nice job Mike.

chris
09-01-2008, 10:35 AM
great report and fish

blackwater
09-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Nice job out there Mike...
Good to see that Big D is in the surf too...

Troutman65
09-02-2008, 01:54 AM
Congrats on your catch. Thanks for the report & pics.

steve092
09-02-2008, 05:45 AM
Nice job!

I need to hit the surf soon.

Sinjin Kim
09-02-2008, 05:56 AM
Very nice Mike! If you ever want to head out to the water together, feel free to contact me.

Once again, nice job on the legal WSB and talk to you soon.

Cangler
09-02-2008, 06:56 AM
Whoa .... nice WSB !

bones
09-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Absolutely awesome!
I got my first legal WSB on my tube a few weeks back. She was just a tad smaller but took me for a ride in the harbor. I did circles for about 10 minutes...LOL
Those are some nice slabs also! I've only stuck a few monster slabs on hardbaits when I was targeting halibut and I'm always amazed how aggressive some monster perch can be.
Tossing artificials in the surf can be very rewarding. I love the salt.....Ya just never know what you are going to stick sometimes.It has that sense of mystery that most FW fishing doesn't have.
Congrats and keep up the good work!

Mike aka (Bones)

lurk 182
09-02-2008, 10:48 PM
i caught one of them in the surf at golden west a few summers ago and i tried to lip it. doh.
cool, radical, awesome. those little baits catch everything. i like the 78 size pointers.