PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever watch......

Troutman65
05-28-2007, 12:39 PM
The Tuna Cowboy's . I saw it for the first time Saturday night while I was at my Little brothers house in San Jaun Capo. It was really Cool . It was on the national geographic ch. I think ? The Blue fin tuna they were hearding was spectacular !!!!!! The sharks they had to get out of the holding pens was a trip. I just sat there and could not move .It was that good of a show.

TM65

Troutman65
05-31-2007, 10:55 PM
I guess I was the only one to view this program or show or whatever it was?

cappo
05-31-2007, 11:03 PM
never heard of it, but will look out for it next time its on

mrjonez
06-01-2007, 10:37 AM
oh yeah, it's nuts. when the dudes have to sit on and repair the big nets in huge seas… f that. it aint no deadliest catch though.

sansou
06-01-2007, 10:59 AM
Saw that show a couple times last year. On the show they said their job was so dangerous that they can't get any insurance for their crews.

I imagine wrangling 7 different species of dangerous sharks doesn't make you a good insurance risk from the insuror's perspective.... Why am I not suprised that only Kiwis and Aussies would be involved in that.... ha ha!!

My overall impression from the documentary was that the penning of BFT was a testament to the extensive overharvesting of the ocean.

sansou
06-01-2007, 11:23 AM
are those the guys that are responsible for the decline in the counts for the public sport fisherman?

There is a strong argument that the penning operations of BFT just south of us have caused a decline in the local (1-3 day range) catch. I don't know enough to give a strong opinion either way.

I do know for a fact though that there are certain big cattle boat owners that have a financial interest in the Mexican penning ops in Ensenada. One wouldn't think so, as one would think their financial interests are diamtrically opposed, however, the fact remains there are American sportfishing captains (via shell investment corporate structures they themselves control) who own shares in the BFT pens.