PDA

View Full Version : La jolla kelp friday loaded with pics

sktruth
08-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Finally made the ride from my house (Ontario) at 3:30 to mission bay. My sister, her boyfriend (Mike) and myself arrived at about 5:30. I'm the one in the straw hat. This was my first time taking my 12' aluminium skiff down to san diego. I have never fished there before. With out a fish finder or bait tank, i picked up some fresh dead squid with the plan of following some of the sport boats or pb's, or kayaks. I have snorkeled la jolla shores before but never any fishing down there and was really hoping for a yellow, but no luck. We made it past the sandy beach on the way to LJ and we stopped to make bait next to the kelp with no luck whatsoever. We then were going to make the run up to the north of the kelp to meet up with Exodus, from bloody decks. Only to find out the motor wouldn't start. Turns out luckily i had a spare gas can, not because i was out of gas, but because i found out my motor has a really tuff time starting with a half tank of gas. Once i added gas, it started right up. With out knowing how much further a run it would be we just headed off shore from where we were to get out of the kelp and fish nearby due to gas problems. We ended up catching nice variety of fish. One being my pb a legal ling, which hit the tady yoyoing. I ended up with one more short that someone had gaffed and released. The one pic with the scale, the fish weighed just over 3.5lbs. Yes, that was a little hand gaff in the pics, but it was only to hold the fish for the pics, bot to gaff the fish. All fish were caught some photographed and then released. We did end ep seing out first mola mola i think it's called. Awesome, i hope you can tell what it is.Hope the pics are of bloodydeck quality but i doubt it. Anyway was a great day on the water except the swells. Which were pretty intense today. On the way into the breakwall my sister was pretty concerned with the swells but nothing too bad. I hope you enjoy.

p.s. i know which one's are ling's and white fish but if someone could help my identify the remaing fish, i would be greatly appreciated.

sktruth
08-30-2008, 12:55 PM
here's the rest

BIGRED KILLA
08-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the pics and report nice variety looks like you guys had a blast out there and i bet it did not hurt your wallet to fell her up.

What h.p you have on her.

Bigred

Ifishtoolittle
08-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Nice reds and rockfish.

sktruth
08-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Have a 9.9 Merc outboard 2 stroke. Total for the boat gas approx $20.00

chris
08-31-2008, 09:02 AM
nice pics glad you had a good trip

Greg Madrigal
08-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Great job getting out there. That's a virtual look of Who's Who on the bottom! LOL! Great pics too. Sweet that u were able to make the best outta the gas situation.

Most of yer fish were rock fish of various types. There are so many that I wouldn't care to guess w/o a field guide opened up. I think the big reds are "Red Rock fish" tho.

GM<><

JapanRon
08-31-2008, 08:24 PM
Hi sktruth,

Nice job on the fishys, report and pics.

Nice to know our little tin boats are out there holding their own !!

thanks,

JapanRon

sktruth
09-01-2008, 09:57 AM
ty for all the responses. Are the red rockfish or red snapper? Just curious, but i'm not sure. I am pretty sure the very little one is a starry eyed rockfish but not sure on the rest.

supasportkid
09-01-2008, 12:09 PM
cool, nice assortment of fish