PDA

View Full Version : Mission Bay Sportfishing 8/28 my first YT

russ88
08-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Fished the Coronado Islands yesterday. Fishfreak and I boarded the Chubasco ¾ day boat. First time going out on a ¾ day boat. I recently just got into saltwater fishing. I’ve been messin around with the twilite trips the last couple months. Fishfreak lends me his sealine 20 and Calstar 800L with 20lb to fish live bait. Then a heavier Calstar\Torium for the irons. I also brought my sandbass setup Curado 300 on a 7’ 6” St.croix MH spooled with 15lb Pline.

Made it to Coronado Isl. by 9am. Started fishing surface Irons in front of the boat. The back is just way too crowded for me. Couple of guys started hanging yellows so I dump the jigstick and went live. The back of the boat was a ZOO talk about cheek to cheek fishing. I grab a big sardine on steroids and flyline. This sardine was headed back to San Diego taking half the line on my spool. lol. Worked the Sardine back to the zone. While in gear my reel just started peeling line. I rear back and FISHON Yeeeepers!!!!!. First run took forever to stop. Before I can gain a good amount of line the fish decides to make another run. I kept asking the deckhand to check if my drag is too loose. She reassures me that it’s just right and this is how YT fights. Deckhand was next to me clearing tangles and making way for me up and down the rail. This fish Is working me really good. Pure adrenaline and excitement for me……Now I understand why saltwater guys use conventionals with beefy rods. About 15 minutes later I see color. The seal tried to grab it but the decky was quick with the gaff. Yeeepers my first Yellow Tail.... Hellz Yeah I’m liking this party!!! Boat moves to the hotspot didn’t hookup on this stop but about 20YT and 3BFT went over the rail. It was mayhem as soon as the boat stop kinda caught me off guard with the all frenzy goin on. People screaming BOILS, YELLOWS, FRESHONE and HOT RAIL while fighting their fish at the same time. Deckhands did a great job with tangles and gaffing. The captain and cook was also on deck to assist in every way possible. Sad to say that the same 2 guys kept tangling 4 to 5 people everytime they let out bait. Guess they don’t believe in no angles no tangles. Oh well I just made sure that I fished away from them. Bite shut down quickly. Captain made another move. We fished for a while but couldn’t get anything to bite. Made another move to the last and final stop. This was a bonito spot. Slow pickins on the bonies. Got into some nasty tangle/swordfight with a few people and decided to park the live bait setup. Can't wait till my left hand becomes the human levelwind. First time using conventionals and still trying to get use to it. I grab my curado setup and flyline a sardine. I hookup on a bonito that ripped some line on the curado. It’s like catching 10lb largemouths without the aerials. Wow great fighters. Blood is pumping again. I want another one. Cast out another dine and gets picked up again line was ripping pretty good. Stopped the spool and waited for my line 2 get tighter and SWING with both hands..... yeah I’m on again. My drags just started screaming like crazy right away. OH OH not a bonito…..I’m on a Yellow! This Yellow almost spooled me on the first run. Screw it. I’ll just do my best to fight it. It was a lot of fun till the fish got closer. The fish runs straight down and decides to take me all around the boat. I just tried my best to gain line little at a time. Captain was coaching me how fight the fish properly while navigating around the boat. I get the fish up after about 30 minutes. He gaffs it. Weighed almost 20lbs on the digi scale. Whew what a battle!!!! It was only fun the first 10 minutes. Then it was pure work. That fish kicked my butt. I learned my lesson. Whew! Saltwater fish is no joke. Any of u freshwater cats wanna pull on some drag screaming butt kicking fish should give salt a try… Damn I wanna go back already. I’m HOOKED! Anyway here’s a couple pics!!!

Yesterdays total count for the chubascoII 3/4 Day
33 anglers 3 Bluefin Tuna 32 Yellowtail 6 Calico Bass 2 Sand Bass 12 Barracuda 15 Rockfish 25 Bonito

Conditions were pretty much like this all day overcast.... afternoon was pretty choppy

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z191/Rusell88/IMG_2993.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z191/Rusell88/IMG_2995.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z191/Rusell88/IMG_2997.jpg

Check out this younsters 22lb yellow. This guy outfished everyone and landed 5 yellows!!!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z191/Rusell88/IMG_2998.jpg

Ricky-Ray
08-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Congrat's on your first yellows. Them big old yellow's will work you over in no time if you don't have the right gear. Then again it sure is a challenge to bring them in on light gear too. Way to go!

troutdog
08-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Way to go Russ, yellows are some great fighters and on the light gear and will have you begging for mercy inshort order! :LOL: FANTASTIC report/play by play and nice pics to boot....I will definitely be keeping an eye out for more of your reports. Thanks for sharing your trip on FNN.

TD

deanhall32
08-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Wait till Ghetto Dad reads this report. Somebody better make sure all sharp objects are kept away from him!!

chris
08-29-2008, 06:28 PM
nice job those ocean fish don't like to give up

CPRfisher
08-29-2008, 06:47 PM
right on good job...i remember who you were...thats funny we were on the same boat. I was with a couple of my friends. We were actually pretty disappointed at that charter. Nobody wanted to work together to stop getting tangled, nobody wanted to move after they casted their bait and follow their line. That boat was wayyyy to crowded and the most disappointing part was that like 6 or 7 people who work for that company and on that boat were fishing (probably for free) and were the biggest rail hogs of all...not to mention that 3 or 4 of them were extremely rude and one of them threaten to kick my *** after i casted a bait out saying i was close to hitting him which i wasnt. On the way home one of them was driving the boat on his off day and who knows if he even had his captains license.

Dont get me wrong the fishing was O.K but i honestly am about done doing the open party stuff. It just doesnt compare to going out on a limited load or a private charter and just paying like 50 bucks more per person if you have like a group of 5 or 6.

well thats my two cents..i ended with 1 tail, 1 barracude, 1 bonito and 1 calico bass. I think those 20 rockfish were bogus i saw like only 3 or 4 landed and they were dinks.

J-RODsmhs
08-29-2008, 07:04 PM
good job bringing those yellows in but man that sucks, i went out on the chubby on wednesday and didn't hook up with anything :Crying:. and one guy killed the yellows. like 5 of them. but good job.

Wingnut
08-29-2008, 09:24 PM
What's up Russ?!? Long time no talk man, haven't heard from ya since the Hansen event. :Big Grin: Awesome bro, congrats on your catch! :Cool: :Envious:

mstr fish
08-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Congrats on your first yellows. Got mine recently and still feel the adrenline............fish

russ88
08-30-2008, 02:14 PM
RickyRay
Thanks! The bonito was a first as well…lol I will NEVER bring that pea shooter again!!!!! lol....Trying to figure out whats the ideal setup for the yellows. I definitely want something that fishes similar to the Sealine20/Calstar 800L. It handled the fish just fine. Still kicked my behind but a lot less forgiving on my back..

Troutdog
Had me begging for mercy alright…. I really don’t like the feeling of getting raped by a fish lol….

Chris
Talk about a fish that can pull and have the stamina 2 keep going. Much respect for the YT!!

CPR fisher
Is that u behind me on the 3rd picture basspro hat??? What a trip didn’t know a fellow fnn was on board too. I think I remember u getting a yellow on our last stop. Sorry to hear bout the bad experience. Yeah a couple of those guys was mouthing off. But then again they were the same fellas that was yelling at this one guy who wouldn’t stop pulling on his line while tangled with me. I was on a fish at that time. Nice haul CPR and Tight lines!!!

JRod
Thanks! You’ll get em next time bro. I just get lucky alot...

Wingnut
Whats goin on Arthur!! I’ve been lurkin the salty side of the board lately.lol I always follow your impressive reports and enjoy reading it. Told myself that no one is that good but u keep rising up to the challenge. Don’t wanna ride ur jock too hard but damn ur killin it out there. Tried targeting the Hali’s for a little while but got more skunks than Legals. Mike told me about Monday. Hope I can make it.

mstr fish
I’m still stoked myself. I kinda miss your cahullia reports.

kill_obet
08-30-2008, 04:20 PM
one word russ ...AWESOME!!! now lets start buying some saltwater gear eh.??

CPRfisher
08-30-2008, 10:45 PM
hey russ,
ya thats me in the bass pro hat. Ya i got that one yellow on the last stop. my line got tangled with like 5 other people and we had to cut my line and i hand lined the fish the rest of the way in. LOL. sad my first yellow came on a handline. haha actually though on that one krazy stop where we saw the bluefin and yellows boiling i hooked up on a real good yellow but after about 10 or 15mins i lost him in the kelp. I was using a spin reel with 20lb test and just wasnt enough to stop his last run into the kelp. was a fun trip though and you guys killed it out there we were still talking about it at work today. I definitly learned a few things out there too!

JSAUCE818
08-30-2008, 10:58 PM
hahahhaha BIG RUSS! my brotha from anotha mutha! congrats fahker! so much for castaic bass huh?...lol..trust me bro i thought the same thing when i hooked up on my ahi,...i was like " i been missing out on this??!!"..lol..congrats brotha...lets plan a salt trip soon.

steve092
08-30-2008, 11:31 PM
Congrats on your first YT!

I remember my first one. I was 8 years old. It kicked my $%#!

kpn
09-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Congrats on your first yellowtail buddy. Did you eat the heart? :LOL:.

KPN.

one_leg
09-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Saltwater fish is no joke. Any of u freshwater cats wanna pull on some drag screaming butt kicking fish should give salt a try… Damn I wanna go back already. I’m HOOKED!

I agree with you 100%.

Congrats to you on the trip.

O_L

russ88
09-03-2008, 10:15 AM
one word russ ...AWESOME!!! now lets start buying some saltwater gear eh.??

I already picked up a Calstar…Now I just need a reel. Maybe I’ll sell the Curado E7 for a Conventional. Lol Wanna buy it??? Haven’t used it.

hey russ,
ya thats me in the bass pro hat. Ya i got that one yellow on the last stop. my line got tangled with like 5 other people and we had to cut my line and i hand lined the fish the rest of the way in. LOL. sad my first yellow came on a handline. haha actually though on that one krazy stop where we saw the bluefin and yellows boiling i hooked up on a real good yellow but after about 10 or 15mins i lost him in the kelp. I was using a spin reel with 20lb test and just wasnt enough to stop his last run into the kelp. was a fun trip though and you guys killed it out there we were still talking about it at work today. I definitly learned a few things out there too!

That was Hilarious. I was one of the guys in that tangle/mess. The kid to my left kept saying someone is on a fish. I didn’t believe him till I saw color. lol Yellow on a handline is sick…. Too bad about the one lost in the kelps. I was curious to see if I can stop or turn a yellow at will on 30lb locked drag with heavier rod but never got bit. Let me know when u do a six pack. I’m interested.

hahahhaha BIG RUSS! my brotha from anotha mutha! congrats fahker! so much for castaic bass huh?...lol..trust me bro i thought the same thing when i hooked up on my ahi,...i was like " i been missing out on this??!!"..lol..congrats brotha...lets plan a salt trip soon.

Lets take that bass boat of yours to coronados. Lets do this!!!! Lol I actually miss Castaic. That’s my old stomping ground. Still waiting on the Ahi????

I remember my first one. I was 8 years old. It kicked my $%#!
Can’t image an 8yr old pulling on a yellow. Pretty Crazy!!!!

Did you eat the heart? :LOL:.
KPN.

Hellz nah thats gross!! I did eat sushi/sashimi 3 nights in a row. What's up with the KPN sandwiches !?! You had me running around town for a while looking for some good banh mi not even close to the ones u make.

I agree with you 100%.

Congrats to you on the trip.

O_L

Thanks Alan! I’ll definitely go again.