PDA

View Full Version : South County Surf

surfnfish
08-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Went down to one of my buddies' special surf spots in Laguna today for a little fun. I was excited because it was the first time I've ever been seriously at the beach for surf fishing. The plan was to just throw LCs and IMAs until we either caught some butts are our arms fell off, whichever came first. However the fish gods weren't having any of that today. Way to much salad on every retrieve. we decided to switch it up after about an hour and started throwing weedless swimmies off the rocks right into the weeds. Sadly, we went another hour with still no love, we started to get seriously frustrated. My buddy re-rigged with a carolina rig and pinned on some mussel. First cast produced a nice Sargo, it wasn't a huge Flattie or a Bull Bass but it was enough to convince me to do the same. Then some like PETA lady or something came over and started yelling at us about how we weren't allowed to fish there and we were displacing the balance of the ecosystem and all kinds of BS. I think she thought we were really stupid cuz she was talking to us like we were. So her ranting was kind of more focused on me, and meanwhile my buddy kept fishing. She turned her attention to him, he told her to hold on for a second cuz he was getting bit. He set the hook and landed one of the biggest "orange perch" I'd ever seen:Envious:Now of course he was gonna release it, just like all the fish we caught, but that little "orange perch" comment set her ballistic. He let it go, safely and quickly, and we took our search back to the sand. It was kind of cool though like karma or something for being good cuz we only had about twenty minutes before we had to leave and we found a school of BSP like no other, in that twenty minutes we caught, what i would say conservatively, about fifteen to twenty each. It was a good way to end a strange day.
Sorry no pics, somehow both my dumbself and my dumb frien forgot out cameras:Crying:

On a side note, if there are any divers or spearfishermen, the water down there has at least twenty feet of visibility, i wish I'd brought my stuff cuz i can almost certainly say I would've brought a nice big goat home, or maybe even that mysterious grey ghost I've been looking for.