PDA

View Full Version : Shrimpin' in central OC 08 27 08

CrabMan
08-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Put away the worms and moved onto shrimp this week. If it's said that variety is the spice of life than life was very spicey today!

Took some time earlier this week to slurp up some fresh ghost shrimp at my local mud hole.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/bvloans/GHOSTSHRIMPONMUD08.jpg

Worked for 2 hours to get 6 shrimp. The good part is they are local, just the right size and very fresh. The bad news is that you can go to Big Fish in Seal Beach and buy a dozen for $5bucks!:EyePop:

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/bvloans/GHOSTSHRIMPFRESH0808.jpg

But you must admit, it is always cool to catch your own bait and then fish with it. Plus, what happens if their is a huge nuclear disaster and all the bait shops are closed down. What do you do then if you haven't learned to slurp shrimp? Seriously, think about it: There's a disaster, you have no bait, how are you going to go fishin'? :ROFL:

So with my hard slurped bait I headed down to the beach today and arrived in central OC just as the sun was coming up (somewhere above the fog). For shrimp I like to use the Carolina Rig with a 3/4th ounce sinker and a size 1 or 2 eagle claw bait hook (the hooks with the barbs on the shaft). First cast a small leopard shark jumps on my hook.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/bvloans/LEOPARDSHARK0808.jpg

Next cast and every cast there after (until 8:30am when I had to get back to the looney bin) a nice fish on the shrimp or a sand crab.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/bvloans/SPOTFINFOOT0808.jpg

My biggest and best being a brace of spotfin croaker at 6 and 7lbs respectively.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/bvloans/SPOTFINCROAKER082708.jpg

Also, a nice pick on small perch.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/bvloans/PERCH082008.jpg

And just about every kind of shark imaginable. At one point I had enough species to open an ocean aquarium!

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/bvloans/PINBACKSHARK0808.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/bvloans/SHOVELNOSEGUITAR0808.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/bvloans/STINGRAY0808.jpg

People ask me what type of fish do you catch on ghost shrimp? The answer: What ever gets there first!

Had to leave as I ran out of bait and couldn't take another moment of watching these idiots with 7 rods catch fish using the double dropper loop on 30lb test and throwing everything into the bucket. http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/bvloans/BucketFISHERMEN.jpg

I probably wouldn't be so critical if I hadn't seen them there everyday for the last month--they must own a fish market!

Here's looking at you spottie!
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/bvloans/SPOTFINHEAD0808.jpg

tacklejunkie
08-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Nice toad spotfins! Very nice pics Bill. Thanks for the great report!
Only you could make 6 ghost shrimp work! :LOL: I go through two buckets from big fish and catch a single perch or sargo :Shocked:
Very nice variety too. My GF loves the sharks!

Sucks to see those dudes pounding the shoreline with so many rods and taking everything they can >=(

Simplyeman
08-27-2008, 07:56 PM
the spotfin looks pretty pissed in the last pic.

troutdog
08-27-2008, 08:05 PM
That is a great report you put together, thanks for sharing your adventure and congrats on the fish well earned. Great pics!

TD

steve092
08-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Talk about a mixed bag!

Good job out there!

flyngby
08-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Again thanks for the info.

As I stated in my reply to your worm post I saw a guy slurping for the Ghostie's. It was amazing how active they are in the moments after they are pulled from the sand and put in a bucket of water. Some of them were almost jumping out of the bucket to regain their freedom!!!!!!

When I first started fishing NPH a little over a year ago and found this site I discovered the Ghosties. We were in fact buying them at the price of $5 per 12 of the live version. We then discovered Ghostie Recycling at $2 per many dozen in the freezer. We noticed little change in the bite but more bang (quantity) for the buck!!!!!!!! We would chum the smaller ones and use the medium to larger variety for the action.

We have still not taken the time to make our own bait that cuts into our fishing time but,

How awesome it would be to be able to accomplish the feat as you make look so easy.

Thanks again for the great info sharing!!!!!!!!:LOL:

Too bad on the encounter with the bucket filling machines encountered out there in your favorite location.:Food::Sad:

Very nice Spotfins by the way and huge variety!!!!!!!!:Thumbs Up:

Steve

Wingnut
08-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Another excellent report with great info. Bill. :Cool: Dana made me one of those slurp guns but I haven't used it yet. :Wink: I have yet to catch a Spotfin Croaker, I see them swimming by me all the time in the surf though. :Twisted: Nice variety of catch, very well done. :Big Grin:

BassEngineer
08-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Great work!!
When I first started reading the post, I thought it was about catching those 6 shrimp....I was like "Poor guy. All that work for 6 shrmip"...then I saw the rest of the post! :Big Grin:

I need to learn how to angle in them salty waters...

fish_sauce
08-27-2008, 11:28 PM
Great work!!
When I first started reading the post, I thought it was about catching those 6 shrimp....I was like "Poor guy. All that work for 6 shrmip"...then I saw the rest of the post! :Big Grin:

Bill literally wrote the book on light line surf fishing in So. Cal, its safe to bet that he'll fare much better than just six shrimps :Wink:

awesome report Bill, makes me really want to get out there and return to basics...i haven't caught a spotfin in ages!

4g63power
08-27-2008, 11:45 PM
toad spotfin! great job!

boxl0bster
08-28-2008, 01:05 AM
thanks for the great report bill! i have yet to catch a huge spotfin like yourself.

i was there at the same spot the other day and those same people were there. seems like everytime i go they are there with their 13835823 rods. they consistently hook into 4-7lb spotfins and nice 2-4lb corbina and yellowfin croakers and EVERYTHING goes into the bucket. they haul the fish out of the surf as if they're starving. lastly i dont think any of these people have licenses, the next time im out there im bringing my cell with me and caltip will get a call.:Soap Box: :Angry::Angry::Angry:

sh1nynewlove
08-28-2008, 01:07 AM
nice species...

really strongly considering of purchasing your book..

sucks that people just stick every thing in the bucket with 7 poles.. wow..

I thought the rule was 2 poles per person... :Crying:

boxl0bster
08-28-2008, 01:15 AM
nice species...

really strongly considering of purchasing your book..

sucks that people just stick every thing in the bucket with 7 poles.. wow..

I thought the rule was 2 poles per person... :Crying:

its a great book! you should definitely get yourself a copy. :Envious:

someone will chime in with a better answer but i think that 2 pole rule applies to freshwater lakes streams and rivers. i dont see why this cant be applied to saltwater too...

CrabMan
08-28-2008, 06:01 PM
thanks for the great report bill! i have yet to catch a huge spotfin like yourself.

i was there at the same spot the other day and those same people were there. seems like everytime i go they are there with their 13835823 rods. they consistently hook into 4-7lb spotfins and nice 2-4lb corbina and yellowfin croakers and EVERYTHING goes into the bucket. they haul the fish out of the surf as if they're starving. lastly i dont think any of these people have licenses, the next time im out there im bringing my cell with me and caltip will get a call.:Soap Box: :Angry::Angry::Angry:

Box,
I went down to the beach this morning and they were there again just meat hauling and chucking everything into the bucket. It really got under my skin so I called my friends Kevin and Ryan (peace officers at Bolsa Chica) and told them the story. They were glad to hear from me.

Kevin told me that two weeks ago they had the largest poacher bust in Orange County history when they arrested several fishermen for catching fish and selling their catch to restraunts in Los Angeles. He thought this might be exactly what was going on and was somewhat ashamed that it was hapenning right under their nose. Later this morning he asked for me to forward pictures to them so they could investigate. I sure hope it's not true, but like you said, it looked like "they haul(ed) the fish out of the surf as if they're starving." :Angry:

The officers asked me to let everyone know to keep an eye out for this type of situation and report it, if seen, as it has been a problem and could mean the end of fishing (or catching) as we know it!:Sad:

For reporting questionable fishermen in Huntington State and Bolsa Chica you can reach officers Ryan and Kevin at: 714-377-5691

And yes, I'm back on the :Soap Box:

P.S. folks, don't get me wrong I'm not one of those environmental nuts it's okay to take fish just take what you need and leave the rest for our kids!:LOL:

flyngby
08-28-2008, 08:52 PM
It seems like in the OC all enforcement agencies are more cooperative to help the F&G enforce the rules as if they write the ticket the county or city get the revenue instead of the state.

Most enforcement officers in the state can not only write tickets under their authority but also have State Peace Officer Authority!!!! So if the F&G Tip lines don't produce action as they usually don't as they are spread really thin there is little chance for a response.

To give an example at my work we recently had a Mountain Lion hit by a car while traveling through the Angeles National Forest that we recovered to keep the public from gathering up for a trophy. It took 2 days of storage in our apparatus bay for the warden based in Mojave to have time to come and get it.

They are spread thin!!!

In my frequent visits to NPH the OC Sherriff and Harbor patrol are seeming to get a handle on the folks not believing in the rules as they are very aggressive in cleaning up the harbor of those folks and the lack of respect for the locals.

I have had no problem with them disrupting my fishing session to assure I am within the rules and don't leave a mess behind.

Respectfully Bill,

My first reply I specifically tried to stay of of this subject but others including yourself included it in the post.

Thanks for the contact numbers for help if I go to those areas.

Again to the original post Great Variety and some TOAD SPOTFINS!!!!!:Applause:

Steve

BIGRED KILLA
08-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the pics and report you killed it out there nice you don't like my 7 rods.

Bigred

boxl0bster
08-29-2008, 02:55 AM
thats great news bill thank you, its nice to know there are people out there we can count on to help protect what we love. i will definitely be putting those numbers into my phone and i wont hesitate to call. thanks again.

thomasfishing
08-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Box,
I went down to the beach this morning and they were there again just meat hauling and chucking everything into the bucket. It really got under my skin so I called my friends Kevin and Ryan (peace officers at Bolsa Chica) and told them the story. They were glad to hear from me.

Kevin told me that two weeks ago they had the largest poacher bust in Orange County history when they arrested several fishermen for catching fish and selling their catch to restraunts in Los Angeles. He thought this might be exactly what was going on and was somewhat ashamed that it was hapenning right under their nose. Later this morning he asked for me to forward pictures to them so they could investigate. I sure hope it's not true, but like you said, it looked like "they haul(ed) the fish out of the surf as if they're starving." :Angry:

The officers asked me to let everyone know to keep an eye out for this type of situation and report it, if seen, as it has been a problem and could mean the end of fishing (or catching) as we know it!:Sad:

For reporting questionable fishermen in Huntington State and Bolsa Chica you can reach officers Ryan and Kevin at: 714-377-5691

And yes, I'm back on the :Soap Box:

P.S. folks, don't get me wrong I'm not one of those environmental nuts it's okay to take fish just take what you need and leave the rest for our kids!:LOL:

First off, one of those "people" that everyone is referring to is my dad. He's retired now and all he does is fish. Those are his buddies that he goes with. As you mentioned everything goes in the bucket. Yes that is true. They likes to catch fish and eat what they catch and gives the rest amongst their families and friends. As far as keeping everything, it is within the law. if you think otherwise by all means report them as i do the same for poachers. As far as fishng licenses, they got them, otherwise they wouldnt be fishng there everyday. If you have a problem with us "bucketeers" well all i can say is, talk to the dfg. they make the rules we just abide by them. Now if you went to flame me go right ahead, infact i expect some but the bottom line is, we play by the rules and you cant do crap about that.

CrabMan
08-29-2008, 05:47 PM
First off, one of those "people" that everyone is referring to is my dad. He's retired now and all he does is fish. Those are his buddies that he goes with. As you mentioned everything goes in the bucket. Yes that is true. They likes to catch fish and eat what they catch and gives the rest amongst their families and friends. As far as keeping everything, it is within the law. if you think otherwise by all means report them as i do the same for poachers. As far as fishng licenses, they got them, otherwise they wouldnt be fishng there everyday. If you have a problem with us "bucketeers" well all i can say is, talk to the dfg. they make the rules we just abide by them. Now if you went to flame me go right ahead, infact i expect some but the bottom line is, we play by the rules and you cant do crap about that.

Thomasfishing,
You are absolutly correct. Fishermen do have the right to catch their limit. I like to assume that most fishermen out there are stewards of the ocean and if they see something that seems out of the ordinary they refer it to the authorities whose job it is to check out the situation and make sure everyone is abiding by the law. It was a tip, just like mine, that alerted them to the guys who were taking fish and selling them to restraunts.

I don't agree with the fact that we need to take so many fish--as it seems better to take what you need for a meal or two and return the others to be caught another day. If your family chooses to take all they can when ever they can that is your right and that's what makes this country so great.

I apologize if I have offended you or your family and although I don't agree that we should be feeding the neighborhood (for they can come down and catch their own fish) I do respect your choice to keep everything you catch.

fish_sauce
08-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Q. How many rods can I use while fishing from the shore where a fishing license is required?

A. Any number of hooks and lines may be used to take finfish in all ocean waters and bays except in San Francisco and San Pablo bays between the Golden Gate Bridge and the west Carquinez Bridge, where you may only use one line with no more than three hooks. Species-specific gear restrictions (such as for rockfish, lingcod and salmon) do apply when fishing from the shore.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/faqindx.asp#pier

This seems to be an ongoing debate here on FNN. There's not much wrong with eating what we catch, and keeping limits, and playing by the rules....BUT, Like everything else in life though, there should be moderation. Nobody will notice the difference it makes but yourself, and sometimes, that makes all the difference...JMHO

ikeman
08-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Nice TOADS!!!

maxpowers
08-29-2008, 10:30 PM
The shrimp slurping has been pretty awful for me lately. My favorite spot has been slurped out or something as the muck (mud/sand) is fairly packed lately. Before it was much looser and softer and thus has more shrimps. I used to be able to score my daily limit (50) in about 15 minutes. Now I take 45 minutes to 1 hr to make bait.... Good thing is that there are plenty of mussels nearby for variety too.

Mike

CrabMan
08-29-2008, 11:28 PM
The shrimp slurping has been pretty awful for me lately. My favorite spot has been slurped out or something as the muck (mud/sand) is fairly packed lately. Before it was much looser and softer and thus has more shrimps. I used to be able to score my daily limit (50) in about 15 minutes. Now I take 45 minutes to 1 hr to make bait.... Good thing is that there are plenty of mussels nearby for variety too.

Mike

Mike,
It does seem that there are more shrimp when you find softer mud and a layer of mud over sand. I agree with you it can be hard to find them sometimes. I'm always looking for new areas to slurp. I heard that there are some good areas in san pedro--but the gas to get there is more than they cost at the tackle shop! I guess I'll just keep looking:EyePop:

Stormcrow
08-30-2008, 09:19 AM

Hey noob, its perfectly legal to jump off a cliff to your death too. By all means, take your 8 rods and your dad and your "Legality" and jump the F*** OFF!

Have a nice day

BIGRED KILLA
08-30-2008, 10:13 AM
I think Storm might be a little jealous.

Bigred

Stormcrow
08-30-2008, 02:59 PM
I think Storm might be a little jealous.

Bigred

Your right...I've always wanted 8 Walmart Saltwater Combos. You got me! I admit it!
:Bawling:

Troutman65
08-30-2008, 06:44 PM
I was wondering when something like this was going to happen on FNN.

CrabMan quote : although I don't agree that we should be feeding the neighborhood (for they can come down and catch their own fish)

Thats right. I can see someone fishing for food. as I do it myself. Now when your fishing to feed the whole neighborhood and the whole family of Say 50, this is plain Greed and rapeing of this natural resource. Get the whole neighborhood out there and family with fishing rods in there hands I would respect this. But this would never happen. So you should go to the fish market and buy the food for your family.

Troutman65
08-30-2008, 07:30 PM
I have never surfed fished before. What is the limit on fishing rods per person?

I have fished in NPH , and the wedge ( harbor side ) and just used one rod. When I go on a cattle boat I fish one rod. I have not pier fished since I was 12 years old. I am pretty sure that was with one rod too.

If I start surf fishing am I allowed to fish with more than one rod?

I think the 2 nd rod stamp is for fresh water . Is that right? Is there such a thing as a second rod stamp for the Ocean ( salt water , Surf fishing bait & wait )

I am full of questions tonight.:Neutral:

Is it safe to eat more than one meal a month out of our local surf?

How does leopard shark taste? How about sting rays?

Can you eat jelly fish? Maybe some kind of soup ?

Will Gost Shrimp work well with my shrimp scampie?

Thanks for some answers