PDA

View Full Version : Outboard mechanic needed

DEADROOTS
08-27-2008, 03:28 PM
I have recently been given a 15ft aluminum boat but the mid 80's 25hp Mariner motor is blown. My friend who gave me this said that he didn't know that it is a 2 stroke and ran it on big bear lake for four days without mixing oil:Slap:. Most of the places that I get a hold of tell me to toss it and get something newer or work on it my self. they all say that it is not worth it for me to have them fix it. Since I'm not a mechanic, I don't know how to. My buddy says that the engine will fire up but shuts of shorty after. I live in the San Fernando Vally area and I am an unemployed full time student with not much income does any body have any answers or suggestions. I'm going nuts with this boat in my drive way which I can't use.:Bug Eyes:

Rooster
08-27-2008, 05:34 PM
The way i see it is if you are a unemployed full time student.

1. Boat mechanic = $150 per hour > Repairing it not an option
2. Buy a good set of rowing oars & make it a row boat
3. Junk the motor and get a trolling motor & a good battery.

smalweld
08-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Short on money but not on time Option is call up boat engine parts place. Ask them what it costs for new set of cylinders or to rebore yours and new pistons with rings and the costs for new gaskets. After you get those, it should be easy just to do the work yourself, if you are mechanically inclined at all. Two strokes are easy. Pull head, Pull cylinders, replace pistons and rings, install new gaskets. Put either new cylinders or rebored cylinders on and torque down the head. No cams to worry about timing.... Ok well it works that way with motorcycles, shouldnt be that much different with boat motors.

Sean

Ryan C
08-30-2008, 01:57 AM
yes they are right if the power head is blown u are better off buying a new 1 than getting it fixed.

Tom
09-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Pistons should cost approx $80.00 each x 2 $160.00 for pistons

About 65.00 to sleeve it........I believe that model had aluminum bores with a hard chrome finish.
Bearing and gaskets maybe 200.00
for less than 700.00 you could do it yourself and i think I put about 30% over on the price
Are U mechaniclly inclined?

GeordyBass
09-01-2008, 05:00 PM
screw it the same thing happened to my friend...$2100 to fix....find a used one...sell lower unit for parts.