PDA

View Full Version : Lookin for any suggestions on Grant & Gull

billy b
08-26-2008, 07:21 PM
bait fishing and/or trolling on Gull. Haven't heard of anybody bait fishing Grant, at least from a boat.

Takin the wife on a anniversary trip - finishing up at the Coliseum to see tOSU and SC.

MAN VS WILD
08-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Go trojans!!!!

Badfish2
08-27-2008, 03:50 AM
Grant is amazing, depends on what you're going to do... do you have a boat? Are you shore fishing? Float tube?

Boat fishing - Fish the entire lake on the troll, but focus on the inlet side where rush comes in... or the dam area but on the highway side of the lake. Troll with Rapalas...CD 5-9s in all colors

Shore fishing. Hike down to the inlet, but bring waders.. and skeeter spray Use Red/Gold thomas bouyants and fish them slow. You'll hook up there for sure.... also if you fish shore, basically the closer to the dam the better, but on the side of the lake where the road is. Look for the peninsulas and fish the north side of them. Weed beds are a good thing at Grant since there's very little cover there for the fish.

Gull is basically a Giant trout pond. Doesn't matter where you go, but "Indian Rock" is the spot on the west side of the lake. It's very deep over there and there are 10lb rainbows and browns caught over there every year. Red/Gold Thomas bouyants here too...but look into casting out Fire Tiger rapalas in a smaller CD. Yellow PB with Garlic spray is about the easiest way to get a limit, I swear by that set up when the lures are hitting. Get there early enough or stay late and bust out the bubble fly combo with olive matuke with red heads and you're going to get fish too

billy b
08-28-2008, 01:10 PM
I recall MANY years ago trolling Grant and fishing off the shore. The hot trolling spots were just around the big point that sticks out about half way down the lake on the road side as your heading east. Also go from that point directly across the lake and head east down that side. I thought it was called "rattlesnake" something. Never fished up in the area back towards Silver and Rush Creek. Good spot to troll eh?

EMarty
08-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Badfish2 nailed Grant. I prefer to float tube near the dam, but most of the fish are holding withing 25 ft of the shore and in easy casting range for a bank fisherman. Rapalas tossed from the bank down near the inlet should get a brown trout or two. By the inlet there is a large area of shallow water (roadside). Those shallows don't produce nearly as well as the creek channel. Try to find a spot on the shore where to can cast to that channel, it's running along the hill / cliff not the road side.

Big Country
08-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Gull Lake w/ Boat = Fish the reeds nice and close

Gull Lake w/o Boat = Fish the shore by the playground and bring something that you can cast 40+ yard with

Grant Lake w/Boat = Troll roadside from the marina east towards the dam until you come to the first point, then shoot straight across the lake to the other side and continue on to the dam.

Grant Lake w/o Boat = Hike down at the roadside pipe (horrible hike) but be ready to catch fish because it is a good spot this year.

billy b
08-28-2008, 05:35 PM
I probably will fish Grant in a boat ... would definitely consider from the shore. Gull will be in a boat. Does anybody do any trolling on Gull? Are the "reeds" on the North and West side of Gull? I remember the big rock being almost straight across the lake from the marina. Used to troll towards the rock and come back down the road side. Used to be a fallen tree and a spot maybe called "brookie hole"

Big Country ... sounds like the trolling patter I used to use. I wonder if a bikini or frog needlefish, at 2-3 colors will still get it done.

The dam is at the East end and the inlet is at the West (silver-Rush) end, right?

Thanks again,

kewlwhip
08-28-2008, 05:37 PM
gull lake...

http://www.highsierrawoodcarvings.com/fishreport/images/shawn%20arnold's%20fish%2005.jpg

-will be in the Sierras right about this time tomorrow... [dreamin]

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3186/2577435663_e414d11cbf.jpg?v=0

billy b
08-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Looks like opening day. When? How big? Whadjacatchimon?

Is that a self-picture of the infamous Kewlwhip?

Run it in ... grumble, grumble

Purdy fish with a nice tail!

Badfish2
08-29-2008, 12:40 AM
There are some monsters in Gull lake, I've heard there are many many over 10lbs in there...but getting them to bite is a different story. Good luck all.

Dean Wormer
08-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Drove the loop on the way to Mammoth on Sunday.....Grant is as low as I've ever seen it. There is no "Lake" from the narrows back, just a trickle of the creek channel. Probably a good time though to study up on where the channel runs....

I like Grant but it sure isn't a scenic wonder right about now.

Big Country
08-29-2008, 04:37 PM
The reeds are in the north west corner of the lake...Take your heavy stuff because when the float tubers begin to invade your space, they only seem to get the message when you throw a 10 inch AC plug at their inner tubes.

It gets a little crowded in that corner sometimes.

As for Grant, I usually only pull Rapalas through there, but I'm sure lots of other things will work too.

slief
08-29-2008, 09:28 PM
I just got back from there yesterday. Every year I take my dad on a fishing trip and we were there for a week. We stayed at Silverlake Resort in my RV. Had my boat. Grant is very low. Gull was slow (for us from shore). Gull is best fished from a boat and lead core right now.. Didn't fish June but Silver was wide open on small to medium stockers stockers at about 1# average. Best trolling advice I can give is a dodger with a nightcrawler 3' behind on 4# flouro. Wide open if you find the schools. We didnt bother moving the boat from Silver lake it was so good. Day before yesterday, we got on the lake at 11:30 AM and got off at 6:30PM. My dad and I caught and released more that 20 fish each. Where we metered fish it was wide open as was the case all week. The fish seemed to hang in the middle of the lake and in the deeper channel along the highway side. We must of caught and released nearly 100 fish in the week that we were there from the boat alone. That doesnt include the fish we caught from the shore at Silver Lake, Parker lake, West Walker, Tioga lake, Hot Creek. When we got tired of the troll, we switched to drifting power bait in the deeper water on unltra light tackle. I was mixing yellow and a bit of orange and rolling into a worm shape like a threaded night crawler. We also drifted threaded night crawlers with similar success. A fish finder WILL pay major dividends if you have one. I was able to predict several times that we were about to hook up 30 seconds prior from the schools of fish that I pinged on the sonar. The only thing that slowed the bite down for us was the fact that we had to troll or drift between the schools or the afternoon wind. We would box the area and get back on top the schools and it was hook up time again. Same with the drifts.
All but 4 fish were release this entire week!! Boy we donated a lot of hooks to the fish. I dont think I have EVER caught so many fish in that short a period of time. Best fishing ever and our last trip (last year) was a 500+ mile journey across Montana which in itself was off the hook.. Wish I was still in the sierras right now!

While you are up there, take a trip to Tioga lake. Well worth the effort! Wide open from the shore on PB and night crawlers as well as lours.

We did fish Grant once with a skunk but that was in the afternoon from the shore at the inlet.We used power bait and night crawlers but didnt give it a reasonable effort and were only there for an hour or so. Rumor has it that Grant has good fishing right now trolling rapal countdowns.
Also caught plenty of fish from shore throwing a red and black brass thomas bouyant. Green rooster tail worked too. Flyline night crawlers in the pools of Hot creek. Caught a nice brown and a couple nice bows there as well as a some others there.

Hope that helps and have fun!!!!!!!!

greeper
08-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Grant is depressingly low right now, we shore fished the dam area for very little success. For me I drifted Gull in my tube from the back launch area and slayed them on power worms.. Good luck and have fun!

Badfish2
08-29-2008, 11:58 PM
Grant being low should be a good thing... concentrates the fish. I'll be up at grant in a few weeks. I'll post up