PDA

View Full Version : New to hooping

bonitoboy
08-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to expand my fishing repertoire. How do I get started on hooping? Are there any articles that anyone can recommend I read before starting out? I usually fish King Harbor in an inflatable and I think that's where I would like to start out. I see buoys marking traps all the time in there and I want some of that action.

Thanks for all the help.

Ricky-Ray
08-26-2008, 04:52 PM
Check this out, http://hoopnetting.com/. Also make sure you read up on the DFG regs. Right now lobster season is closed.

tunagod1
09-03-2008, 11:36 AM
With all the concern over catching lobster one might overlook the safety aspect of hoopnetting. Seems like every year there is at least one fatality while hoopnetting.
Typically, most people are working rocky area's either breakwalls or nearshore rocky areas rather thann open water, if you are working the breakwalls be prepared to cut a hoopnet rope from your prop, be ready to drop an anchor if your boat doesn't start, make sure you have a radio in case you need help. Remember, you usually only have a little time before you find yourself in the rocks. If you find yourself in this situation, forget about the boat. two years ago, a guy got out of his boat and tried to keep the boat from hitting the rocks, unfortunately, the boat crushed him against the rocks. Just remember this all occurs in the dark, no one can see you. Please make sure your bouys are highly visible as others will certainly mow them over fouling their boat.
Usually, I recommend first timers work inside the breakwalls, respect other hoopnetters that were there before you, it can pretty ugly out there when you start dropping nets on top of others. Iv'e been doing this for years and it never seems to amaze me how dumb people can be. Personally, I like the Islands but with fuel prices I will be staying closer to home this year.

Attached are pictures of lobster caught locally LB breakwall, Dana Breakwall etc

Be safe out there

Tuna out

sleeperek
09-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Man those are some nice size lobster. LB and Dana Breakwall? Where is that exactly? Sorry not too familiar with all the terms yet.

HESBROS
09-03-2008, 09:50 PM
TG brings up a good point about the lobster opener coming and maybe there should be a thread regarding hooping and safety and we can all share tips to keep each other safe.

JSAUCE818
09-03-2008, 10:57 PM
With all the concern over catching lobster one might overlook the safety aspect of hoopnetting. Seems like every year there is at least one fatality while hoopnetting.
Typically, most people are working rocky area's either breakwalls or nearshore rocky areas rather thann open water, if you are working the breakwalls be prepared to cut a hoopnet rope from your prop, be ready to drop an anchor if your boat doesn't start, make sure you have a radio in case you need help. Remember, you usually only have a little time before you find yourself in the rocks. If you find yourself in this situation, forget about the boat. two years ago, a guy got out of his boat and tried to keep the boat from hitting the rocks, unfortunately, the boat crushed him against the rocks. Just remember this all occurs in the dark, no one can see you. Please make sure your bouys are highly visible as others will certainly mow them over fouling their boat.
Usually, I recommend first timers work inside the breakwalls, respect other hoopnetters that were there before you, it can pretty ugly out there when you start dropping nets on top of others. Iv'e been doing this for years and it never seems to amaze me how dumb people can be. Personally, I like the Islands but with fuel prices I will be staying closer to home this year.

Attached are pictures of lobster caught locally LB breakwall, Dana Breakwall etc

Be safe out there

Tuna out
thanks for the tips and advice...

kwest10
09-17-2008, 10:20 PM
LB and Dana breakwalls are the breakwalls that shelter the harbor from the swells. They basically create the harbor. LB has a huge one with islands inside of it. I"m new to hooping as well but will get a VHF and yes...flares when I try it out this year. Any of the noobs or pros interested in getting together? I"m unemployed now and have a lot of time. Next week I'm going to Dana to fish and practice during the day setting traps and hauling them to get a feel for it.

mg2969
09-18-2008, 06:42 AM
You might want to hit up one of the the Jim Salazar (SABA SLAYER) hoppnet seminars. These are whats left.

09/18 Thurs: Sav On Tackle @ 7:00pm
9917 Orr & Day Rd.
Santa Fe Springs, 90670
Phone: 562-864-2911

09/20 Sat: Bass Pro (X 2) @ 12 noon and 3:00pm
7777 Victoria Gardens Lane
Rancho Cucamonga, 91730
909-922-5500
GPS Coordinates:
34.1118 N, 117.5269 W

09/23 Tues: OEX Kearny Mesa @ 7:00pm
7914 Ronson Rd. Suite G