PDA

View Full Version : King Harbor -late-8/24

bonitoboy
08-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Hi Everyone,

Went to king Harbor in the inflatable on Sun. Fished from 3-7 pm. Pretty nice day with some marine layer sticking around. Met a guy on the docks coming in saying it was pretty slow. Went out and gf catches a little sand bass about 11in 10min into the trip. Had the spool tape on my braid line come off so the whole line was moving around the spool. Tip to others if you use braid make sure you use good spool tape to tape it down to the spool. Caught a calico 10in but had to hand line him in as my reel was not working too well. Switched to catching some bait for future trips and pulled out my custom sabiki. Smelt balls every where and senoritas. No mackarels or smaller baitfish. Pulled in a few smelt and senoritas. GF pulled in a 9 in calico on last cast and home we went. Did not try for bonito, too many birds.

one_leg
08-26-2008, 11:06 AM
A nice voyage even with the reel incident.

Glad you got out there.

O_L

bonitoboy
08-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Thanks One-Leg. Hard to beat being on the water.

Boldfin
08-27-2008, 08:53 PM
I launched out of KH for the morning to afternoon shift, with minimal results. We picked up some small calicos out at PV, and a few short cuda. On the way back to the sling, we tried all the old spots for bonito inside the harbor - none to be found. Has anyone seen them yet in the harbor?

flyngby
08-27-2008, 09:01 PM
sorry about your hardware malfunction.

You will get them next time.

Thanks for the report!!!

Steve

bonitoboy
08-28-2008, 10:16 AM
I launched out of KH for the morning to afternoon shift, with minimal results. We picked up some small calicos out at PV, and a few short cuda. On the way back to the sling, we tried all the old spots for bonito inside the harbor - none to be found. Has anyone seen them yet in the harbor?

Second shift- That is hilarious! Make it sound like work. Yeah pretty slow. I have read reports of some people catching some bonito on the large pier this summer. They are pretty streaky. I personally have not seen any boils in the harbor, but with all the birds around it makes it will be hard to even troll a bubble with a feather. I was using frozen bait and on every cast I was dove on by a bird, had to tie on a heavy weight to get it down faster or just drop near the boat.

bonitoboy
08-28-2008, 10:20 AM
sorry about your hardware malfunction.

You will get them next time.

Thanks for the report!!!

Steve

Thanks Steve, I gather from your reports you are a newport harbor guy. You should try Redondo Less gas trolling around but can be wide open on mac and mostly short calicos. Definitely fun on the light gear. Been waiting like three years now for a bonito in the harbor....sigghhh

wes

rockypointkid24
08-28-2008, 08:22 PM
i caught bonita everyday i went