PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Odyssey.3/4 8-24

mstr fish
08-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Went out on the Ocean Odyssey yesterday on a 3/4 day boat. Was not impressed with some of the crew. Loaded the boat proceded to the galley to check in. Noticed the Galley was big and nice complete with soda and ice machine. Was impressed with what appeared to be a very clean boat. This is gonna be a great trip. As I am outside with my friends I was making a comment on the great looks of the boat when a deck hand was passing by heard me and makes a rude response saying we are not a 3/4 day boat. Did I ask if you were a 3/4 day boat? I am thinking to my self what crawled up his ? I was not the only customer I had heard him say this to. Got some bait and headed toward Corornado Islands. On our way I asked if we could get a net for the front bait tank? The response " We are using that for our next trip". No problem right? There is plenty in the back tanks. He takes a couple steps towards another deck hand and asks him if we could use the bait. Didn't you just tell me no? We tryed several different spots with a fish or two here and there. Was pretty slow in my eyes but hey thats fishing.LOL. When it came to the hose down between stops was when also the rudness and un hospitality kicked in "Move coming thru". How about excuse me folks coming thru with the water do not want to get you wet. Keep in mind that we had some kids and some first timers on this trip. Not that I am a pro or anything but I have been on a couple of trips. Trying to get bait at times was hard. Could it be cause some of the deck hand were fishing to? Thought I was just taking things to hard but started to talk with other anglers who fish the salt on a regular basis. Turns out they were getting the same feeling. Also heard them say that they are a multi-day boat and they were just helping out the landing with overflow. All in all I felt like we were a burden. I will say that Dave the chef cooks great breakfast and a kick *** ham & swiss and the girl on the boat was cool. Thank you giys for your hospitality This was a last minute trip planned by my friend. When he called this was the only boat with openings so we took it. There were a few yellows on this trip. My friend landed a few including the jackpot. All his fish were on flylined sardines. There was another guy with his son who nailed a couple on the surface iron. He was a book full of information. Thanks for the tips again dude. I only landed a cople of sculpin and 1 whitefish. Nothing worth wasting film on. All were relesed to grow to at least 2 taco size.LOL My other friend caught a couple of scuplin to along with a short ling. I will never go out on this boat for another 3/4 again. As for a multi I would have to think really hard. Here are a couple pics from the trip. Hope you all enjoy the report..............................fish
counts
8 yellowtail
16 calicos
4 bonito
13 sculpin
9 rockfish
1 cabazon not on the counts but I seen it bagged.

BIGRED KILLA
08-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Thats a charter boat for ya thanks for the pics and report.

Bigred

supasportkid
08-25-2008, 07:25 PM
hey mstr fish, sorry to hear about the rude dh. i notice that sometimes too on different boats. some of them think they are too good or somethin, but if it wasnt for us anglers, most of them would be job-less! but most deck hands and captains are very cool, down to earth people. well atleast you got a few fish, good job

one_leg
08-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Whoa Dude, your friend scored!!!

How much was the jp worth?

Nice report and congrats on your fish too.

O_L

JapanRon
08-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Hi mstr fish,

Sorry about the strange treatment of you and your buddies. Wonder if those guys were the regular decks? Kinda makes me wonder. Politeness is often the hallmark of a charter-only operation ..... especially if the boat is smaller and or limited load.

thanks for the report and info !!

JapanRon

Ifishtoolittle
08-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Hey, nice yellows you got there sucks about the rude deckhands, but hey not all charter boats have polite crew.

Ricky-Ray
08-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Sorry to hear about the bad experience. I've been on the Ocean Odyssey twice. First time was an overnight and the second was a 2 day trip. Both times I couldn't speak enough about the captain and crew.

I'd have to agree with JapanRon, I wonder if they were the regular crew. Was Captain Rick Scott at the helm??? Did you voice your concern on what was going on? Usually Rick is a very nice easy going guy and will go out of his way.

Stormcrow
08-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Wow that is a great trip! That one yellow is nice!

deanhall32
08-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Very nice yt!!

I went on the Ocean Odyssey last year on a 2 day trip and encountered the same deal with the bait tank on the bow. There was a net there so we were using sardines out of the tank when the captain told the deckhand to go get the net and hide it. We asked the captain why and he said the bait was for his next trip. Who gives a crap about the next trip I thought?

We ended up running out of sardines in the stern bait tanks and captain would not let us use the bow bait tank.

Also, the other captain(female) was there and both captains argued with each other a majority of the time.

No way I would go on that boat again!!

kgselect
08-26-2008, 02:26 PM
That's too bad about the rude DH. Overall, I believe the Captain sets the tone for the boat. If the Captain cares about his customers, then he will insist that the deckhands treat the passengers accordingly. If the Captain doesn't care about his customers, then the deckhands will probably have similar attitudes. Then again, during the busy season, sometimes they are all overworked. In any case, it's always nice to be out fishing. Better than working.

mstr fish
08-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Sorry to hear about the bad experience. I've been on the Ocean Odyssey twice. First time was an overnight and the second was a 2 day trip. Both times I couldn't speak enough about the captain and crew.

I'd have to agree with JapanRon, I wonder if they were the regular crew. Was Captain Rick Scott at the helm??? Did you voice your concern on what was going on? Usually Rick is a very nice easy going guy and will go out of his way.

I belive it was Captain Rick and no I did not voice my concern as to the commets that were said however there was a couple times he was on the bait tanks throwing chum. Go figure where were his deckhands it was not like we were on a WFO you know. As for the regular crew I am not sure. The two lil kids that were there helping were great and and dave the chef and the girl were cool.

mstr fish
08-26-2008, 09:45 PM

O_L

It was 150.00 and my bud gave it to the 2 kids that were on the boat helping.................................fish

mstr fish
08-26-2008, 09:49 PM

O_L

It was 150.00 and my bud gave it to the 2 kids that were on the boat helping.................................fish

Very nice yt!!

I went on the Ocean Odyssey last year on a 2 day trip and encountered the same deal with the bait tank on the bow. There was a net there so we were using sardines out of the tank when the captain told the deckhand to go get the net and hide it. We asked the captain why and he said the bait was for his next trip. Who gives a crap about the next trip I thought?

We ended up running out of sardines in the stern bait tanks and captain would not let us use the bow bait tank.

Also, the other captain(female) was there and both captains argued with each other a majority of the time.

No way I would go on that boat again!!

Wow so it can be like this on a multi day trip to. The captain made a comment to one of the deck hands in regards to the sacks. Apperantly they were out with the exceptions of ours and getting some on Sunday would be hard to do. I gave them my sack back so that would be one less they would have to worry about. LOL