PDA

View Full Version : Pontoon Advise

Poxy Boggards
08-25-2008, 06:12 PM
So I've decided to go the Toon route. I've been looking around online quite a bit. I had a snipe in on an outcast, but the seller kept on outbidding my bids to drive up the price. It was really nice and had a built in standing deck.

I just can't afford to spend over 500 on the toon plus be able to afford all the extras like a trolling motor, fish finder, battery, charger, pole holders and so on.

I've been looking pretty hard at two that they have at Costco for a starter.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11287415&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&N=4025182&in_dim_search=1&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&No=1&Mo=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&lang=en-US&Sp=C&search=Inflatable%20Pontoon%20Boat&topnav=

&

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11091559&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&N=4025182&in_dim_search=1&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&No=0&Mo=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&lang=en-US&Sp=C&search=Inflatable%20Pontoon%20Boat&topnav=

Both are $299 + shipping.

Does anyone have any insight or comments on these pontoons? I'd like to mod a standing deck onto the toon at some point, and install a seat swivel/riser.

I've been reading alot of the older threads on here, and I can't wait to get one ordered, modified and on the water before trout season starts.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I see that Ghost has the Colorado, how do you like it?

Ghost
08-25-2008, 09:15 PM
I have some insight for you in regards to those 2 toons. First of all, they are made by Classic Accessories.

I bought this years model Colorado, the Colorado XT. Decent toon, but ended up returning it. The main reason is the seams started coming apart. It wasn't just in one area, but a few areas. A friend bought a couple Classic Accessories float tubes last year & both had the seams come apart. I poo-pooed the idea that the Colorado XT would do the same, since from what I could see, the construction looked pretty good. But after only having it for less than 3 months, the seams on the Colorado XT were also coming apart.

Also the motor mount, you can mount it on your left or right side (if you use a trolling motor). I thought this was a great idea, but in reality, it puts the trolling prop close to the pontoon. And if you're not careful when you lift or lower the prop, or forget that the props running, you can cut right into the pontoon. Also it was uncofortable trying to steer w/ the trolling motor off to the side. Believe it or not, having the trolling motor mount in the middle w/ the trolling motor attached is easier & much more comfortable to steer when the motor is in the middle.

I had another pontoon boat before I bought the Colorado XT, I had the Outcast Fish Cat Streamer Xl (2007). Comparing these 2 & the new one that I have now, the Outcast Fish Cat IR-9, the Colorado XT is sluggish. The Out Cast pontoon boats were much more responsive when rowing or using fins.

Also you want to keep in mind that the 2 toons you posted, the frames are made of steel. If you are going to use it for ocean fishing, the steel frame will RUST.

If you are serious about getting a toon, do it right the first time. I suggest getting the Outcast Fish Cat Streamer XL, it's 8' long & it's easy to row or use fins w/ this toon. It's about $140 more, but well worth it. It has a mesh back part to save weight, but if you decide you want a trolling motor for it, you can have a steel deck made for it. Or if I did keep that toon, I was going to use a long & wide white cutting board that was thick enough to handle a trolling motor battery, which weighs about 45 lbs for a group 24 deep cycle battery.

I'm very happy w/ my current pontoon boat, the Fish Cat IR-9. It's a foot longer than the Streamer XL, so it's just a bit more stable. BUT it comes at a higher price of $450. Since I returned the Colorado XT to Cabelas, I had to cough up the extra $150....which I sold some fishing rods & reels. I don't take my toon out in salt water, so the steel frame is fine for me.

I know that Creek Company has toons w/ aluminum frames, also Outcast, but those cost so much more. I'm not sure how much Creek Co aluminum toons are compared to Outcast. I know Outcast are quite expensive for aluminum frames.

You also have to keep in mind how you will transport the toon. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I can put my toon on top of the roof. Also I don't have to travel far like take freeways to get to the lake or rivers.

I'll tell you this much that a pontoon boat is much more practical in a fishing sense than a float tube. You don't get tired as easily & your legs don't cramp up. Also you can travel farther on a toon. It's just transporting them & how far you have to carry the toon to the water that are the draw backs.

From my experience w/ the Colorado XT, it's not worth buying. Also the one that Costco has on sale is last years model of the Colorado XT & last years model of the other one. I've heard about problems w/ the seams also coming apart from last years model. Also there was a big issue w/ the air valves leaking on them too.

If you do still decide to buy either of those pontoons, see if Costco offers an extended warranty...you'll need it!

boomstikit
08-26-2008, 07:00 AM
I was, still am, thinking about getting one of these pontoon boats from Costco. I had the same concerns as most people do about these pontoon boats (valves, seams, etc.). So I called Classic Accessories and asked about the pontoon boats that Costco is selling. I was told that these boats are not last year’s models. They are new, with many improvements. I even asked about the problem with the seems, I was told that this has been fixed. The Colorado XT is same boat as the Rogue made by Classic Accessories. Nice thing is that if you do buy it from Costco, they will take it back with no hassles. Let me know what you decide. It might help me make up my mind. :Confused:

Ronira
08-26-2008, 07:11 AM
Hey Poxy what's up, do not buy the toons you listed dawg. Shop till you drop and get a high end toon. The difference in quality and capability is astounding. Take your time and shop Craigs, and E-bay till a good one becomes available and you will be glad you did. Check out Cabella's site as well, sometimes they will have a good one on sale. I'll look around and see what's up if you want. I've been around inflatables for a long time and boat quality is the difference that means the most IMO.

Poxy Boggards
08-26-2008, 08:30 AM
I'd appreciate any help Ronira! Keep your eyes peeled for a good deal for me. I'll be checking around craiglist and ebay every day, and at the major retailers as much as I can. You know how it is when you want to get your hands on something, like a kid on christmas eve who wants to open his presents. LOL... Guesss I'll just have to be patient and wait for a good deal to come along.

Thanks for the advise Ghost! I'd hate to spend the money, get it all decked out only to have to return it.

Wes
Poxy Boggards

Poxy Boggards
08-26-2008, 08:41 AM
Anyone have an outcast or creek company toon that they want to get rid of? I'm in the market.

tacklejunkie
08-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Man I lucked out when I bought my outcast fish cat cougar. She went $600 at BPS when they opened and now it went up to $800! :Shocked: I might actually be able to turn a few $$ profit if I sold it carefully.

I don't think I could bring myself to sell that puppy though. Once you get yourself on a solid 'toon you'll be lovin' it! As long as you don't have problems storing it or assembling it and transporting it, it's a great way to get out and fish. Not for every occasion of coarse and I don't use it every weekend, but it definitely gets used.

If you're going to be sticking to fresh water, you'll be OK with a steel frame. the fabric will likely be worn out before the frame is. If you ever plan to hit the salt then maybe it's better to go aluminum from the start. Also, some steel frames have a protective paint coating and if the paint chips off you'll start to get rust. This prevents you from modifying or drilling holes in your frame for additions whereas aluminum you can drill right on through the paint without worry of rust to install custom standing decks and rod holders or whatever.

I like my fish cat cougar for many reasons. It's very stable in all directions, has quad pontoons in case one goes flat for added security, ride high on the water and cruises right over the top of weed beds while hardly distrubing them, has a motor mount in case I ever need it, frame on top of the aircells design, was simple to drill some holes in some diamond plate and make a standing deck, easy to drill a hole or two in the frame for a rod holder, good solid oar mounts and easy to upgrade to better oars, nice padded seat with universal mount enabling you to ad risers and swivels, has an anchor pulley system, extra standing room due to the quad pontoons and frame, large storage bags and a rear storage deck, front and rear D-rings for towing and strap hookup, adjustable weight loading distribution and tons more I'm forgetting. It holds like 400lbs which is more than I could load it with. A very solid fishing investment for me because I don't have the space for a full blown boat but still get some micro bass boat action from the pontoon.

On the down side, it's a tank! Likely coming in at about 100lbs dry without the anchor. For this problem, I bought a wheel from Cabelas. Now it's a wheelbarrow and carts all my gear too in one trip.

It was expensive and I had to sell off some cool stuff to buy it, but I don't regret it one bit.

Ghost
08-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Tacklejunkie, can you please post the wheel you're talking about? I gotta say that was one thing I liked about the Colorado XT. It had the wheel, not the easiest to deal with, but it came in handy a couple times walking from my Grand Cherokee to the lake side, like 75 yds away.

I would like to add a removable wheel also on my Fish Cat IR-9. On the Outcast website they have a wheel that tucks under the toon. It's from a different mfg & cost $150! I don't want to spend that much & would like to remove the wheel than have it on the under side of the pontoon boat.

tacklejunkie
08-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Here's the wheel.
It attaches with one bolt that I find sturdy enough to cart my pontoon down the hill about 100 yards from the car and up, over and down curbs etc. You can bolt it on to something flat or a round tube.
I don't see it on the cabelas website anymore. It's made by waterskeeter. (made to fit the waterskeeter brand of pontoons but I drilled a hole in my standing deck and slip the bolt in)

Edit:
BTW it was like $49 I think shipped and cabelas took like 3 weeks or something ridiculous to ship it free.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/pontoon/wheels1.jpg

Ghost
08-26-2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks for posting that! I went to the Cabelas website & didn't see what you were talking about. So I went to the BPS site & saw that. Strange though on the BPS site, the rating for it were taken off. People didn't like it cuz it didn't hold up, how's the one you have holding up? I think like the wheels since made of plastic would break.

I don't know if I like the idea of drilling a hole on back of the frame. You are mighty brave doing that. I need to think about that though, again; thanks for the pic.

tacklejunkie
08-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks for posting that! I went to the Cabelas website & didn't see what you were talking about. So I went to the BPS site & saw that. Strange though on the BPS site, the rating for it were taken off. People didn't like it cuz it didn't hold up, how's the one you have holding up? I think like the wheels since made of plastic would break.The whole wheel is much stronger than it looks. The wheels won't break and the bolt shows no signs of bending. The hole I drilled was in my standing deck. (just a piece of flat aluminum). I drilled other holes in my frame for rod holders and it hasn't cause any problems yet either. :Big Grin:

For the price I'd rate this wheel 5 stars if you were to ask me. It may squeek once in a while but some thick bearing grease fixes that right up. I've used the wheel a good 10 - 15 times since I bought it and it's holding up waaaay better than I ever expected it to by looking at it in the pics.

Also, it's easy to adapt to just about any toon out there.

Socal Bassman
08-26-2008, 09:22 PM
When it comes to toons, Ronira is a guy that know his stuff. He's been around toons for a long time. Even though I don't have a toon... yet :Rolls Eyes:, I have learned a lot from him when it comes to choosing a good toon. The toon that TJ has is a sweet ride, but $800... Yikes!!!

If I ever get to the point where I say "that's it, I'm getting a toon" I think I'll go with the Creek Company Super Sport 9. It's a 9ft boat and it won't break the bank. I've been eyeballing that toon for quite awhile now. Just haven't been able to pull the trigger because I'm having a blast fishing out of my tube :LOL:.

Ronira
08-27-2008, 06:29 AM
Hey fellas,There's an online outfit selling toons on e-bay for pretty decent prices and free shipping. They have a 100% rating so they seem legit. Creek Co ODC 915 for 599.00, Outcast fishcat cougar same price. That's 200.00 cheaper than direct from the manufacturer. Both very good boats.

Poxy Boggards
08-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone! Keep em coming!

Poxy Boggards
08-27-2008, 10:18 AM
I've got a line on a fishcat streamer XL with a Minn kota trolling motor, would this one be large enough to mod a standing deck onto?

Ronira
08-27-2008, 10:58 AM
I've got a line on a fishcat streamer XL with a Minn kota trolling motor, would this one be large enough to mod a standing deck onto?
Sure, it's long enough. Not quite as stable for and aft as a longer toon meaning more reaction to boat wakes and wind chop but certainly doable. A 9 or 10 ft toon is going to be easier to stand and fish comfortably. Take a look at my toon in Tacklejunkies duel legends and silverwood report. That is an ODC 1018. 10 ft. long and 18 inch tubes. Very stable platform to stand and cast from. As you go smaller you will notice a little more balance is needed to stand and fish. That being said, TJ has an 8 ft. boat and he can stand and fish no problem.

Ronira
08-28-2008, 07:59 AM
There's a Outcast Fishcat 10-IR for $579.00 on e-bay. thats a 10 ft boat with river capability. Good toon.

Poxy Boggards
09-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Well, I just bought my first pontoon. Got a Fish Cat Streamer XL with a trolling motor for $330.00 It's been modified already, and has pole holders, an anchor system with anchor and rope, even came with a strap for a fishin buddy.

I want to modify her with a standing deck, but I think i will try to take her out as is before making any changes to get a feel for the craft. Now all I need is a good Battery and a fish finder.

Any suggestions for a good fish finder would be greatly appreciated. I've been weighing getting a Humminbird Fishin Buddy 130 or possibly rigging up a normal transom mount finder onto my trolling motor.

I can't wait to get her in the water!

one_leg
09-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Hey Wes, congrats to you on your new boat.

I don't care for the fishin buddy's mount on a regular boat, but on the pontoon it might work great:???:

Now you will finally get to troll for trout all by yourself.......:ROFL:

Poxy Boggards
09-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Sorry no hithhickers on this vessel... LOL

Poxy Boggards
09-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Or you could get a float tube, and I could pull you along...LOL

one_leg
09-04-2008, 04:56 PM
I'll bring my wheelchair batteries in case yours die out there.

Ronira
09-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Well, I just bought my first pontoon. Got a Fish Cat Streamer XL with a trolling motor for $330.00 It's been modified already, and has pole holders, an anchor system with anchor and rope, even came with a strap for a fishin buddy.

I want to modify her with a standing deck, but I think i will try to take her out as is before making any changes to get a feel for the craft. Now all I need is a good Battery and a fish finder.

Any suggestions for a good fish finder would be greatly appreciated. I've been weighing getting a Humminbird Fishin Buddy 130 or possibly rigging up a normal transom mount finder onto my trolling motor.

I can't wait to get her in the water!
Well allright dawg, congrats on tooning in. I hope you enjoy the new boat as much as I do mine. You can get an Everstart deep cycle marine battery at Wall Mart pretty cheap ( like $60.00) or spend more for an Optima. I've been useing the Wally World battery for almost 3 years and it still runs my toon all day long even towing friends around. Just a little heavier than the twice the money Optima. Check your motor amp hr requirement and exceed that a little bit. Trust me on this one. Looking forward to tooning with you sometime. By the way, the standing deck will change the way you fish your toon a ton and is the bomb.

mlyons310
09-04-2008, 09:59 PM
New Retail is $1150 plus $150 $500 OBO

The 9' pontoons of the PAC 900 have a larger load capacity, better tracking and stability than smaller pontoon boats. The 1100 denier, 24/28 ounce PVC coated polyester base fabric is used in combination with urethane bladders and Leafield valves for the ultimate in performance and durability. No tools needed for the 4-piece frame for simple, quick and easy assembly. This boat is small enough to be used on lakes and ponds but large enough to be used on moderate rivers and for lightweight overnight trips.

Color: Blue
Inflated Size: 54" x 9'
Weight: 62 lbs.
Frame: 4-pc Aluminum
Air Cell Type: 14 mil. Urethane
Load Capacity: 400 lbs.
Seams: Thermal Welded Warranty: 10 Year

Also included are pair of large force fins, saddle bag by outcast, anchor and line and launching gear which allows easy transportation while pontoon is completely inflated and loaded with gear. Large 10" all terrain tire traverses over most terrain

Review here - http://www.tackletour.com/reviewlaunchinggear.html

steve092
09-05-2008, 05:46 AM

I have the Eagle Cuda 168 portable that works well. Depth and temp is pretty much dead on. It fits in one of the side pockets on my toon. And it is AA-Battery powered so you don't need to worry about carrying around a 12 volt.

tacklejunkie
09-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Grats on the new 'toon!
You gotta add a standing deck! It really does add to the experience to be able to stand up on your pontoon.