PDA

View Full Version : Board shorts while float tubing?

BassCatchinAssasin
08-25-2008, 02:23 PM
I've been wanting to tube it in board shorts lately, but i have seen a lot of jelly fish in newport harbor. Is it safe? Do the jellies in the harbor sting?

flyngby
08-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Not if you avoid them!!!!! That would not make for a productive day though if you were concentrating on looking for the Jelly's all day and not fishing.

I have seen many a Jelly in the Harbor and do not have the courage to test if they are of the Stinging variety. From my experience in the harbor the biggest concentrations are in the channels with little or no current. Those would be the ones that finger off the main channels and dead end!!

Good luck if you test the water and give us an update if it is painful!!!!

Good luck out at my favorite fishing location!!!!!!!!!

Steve

chowmein2go
08-25-2008, 04:32 PM
I was just out there today in some swim shorts, haha, it was great!

fishmounter
08-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Yes! I have been stung while taking that clear slime crap from a jellyfish off my line. This was back a few years ago when the bays in So Cal had all kinds of jellies going up in them. There is some crazy things that will get you in salt water. Have you seen those large Arthropod parasites on some of the perch fins? Pretty ugly. Actually, I worry more about the Sea Lions than anything else while tubing the bays. Hey if you are worried about your bare legs, wear long pants. I know, it won't look cool to the ladies when you get out of the water with wet pants, but who cares! You are there to fish man and have a good time, and if you worry about jellyfish stings, wear a pair of levis.

bones
08-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Tubin in shorts is kewl but I never get overheated in my waders anyways. Why take a chance and have your day ruined.

sonarbp
08-26-2008, 02:28 PM
BassCatchinAssasin not much to worry about with the jellies.....when the weather is hot I tube NPH in shorts. I have also seen alot of jellies lately just gently push them out of your way with your fins. I have never gotten stung!!!

Sat morning I plan on launching at 15th street at about 6 if you want to join me. Fishing should be great with a nice incomming tide.