PDA

View Full Version : Gear Question

ebomb
08-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Hey Guys and Gals,

I got a potential deal going on a saltwater setup and wanted to get some opinions. I am looking at a brand new Roddy Hunter reel (baitcaster / flyline)and rod. It looks like it is a bit low end but wanted more input.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ricky-Ray
08-25-2008, 01:23 PM
The Roddy Reels are oversea's knock off's of the Penn's. I had one and when it froze up on me I took it to the shop and it was going to cost more to repair it than what I bought it for. The reel is now happily living out it's day's as a "spare parts" donor.

flopps1
08-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Honestly, I'd look for something else. Lots of good quality reels out there. What's your budget and speices that you'll be targeting?

HESBROS
08-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Try a Penn 500. They are built like tanks, rarely have problems, change your spool in seconds, they usually run 49-60 depending on where you go.

Rubble
08-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Nowadays Roddy is just one-step above a Master .... :LOL:

Nessie Hunter
08-26-2008, 07:19 AM
I would stay away from the low end as much as possible... They are mostly junk, sometimes you get a usable one, but not often....

Parts and service are a BIG factor also. No parts available and no one will even touch them for any kind of service.. So they are pretty much disposable at the first problem................

That Dang Guy
08-26-2008, 08:21 AM
You might try looking for some used gear. Although they may have boat rashes and aren't tip top comestically, internally most are fantastic still.

HEMAN
08-26-2008, 09:07 AM
You might try looking for some used gear. Although they may have boat rashes and aren't tip top comestically, internally most are fantastic still.

that's what i did... cause it's gonna get beat up a little bit anyhow..

ebomb
08-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the input. I was going to give the rodder to my wife as a back up to her main rod and reel but I think I will keep looking. Thanks again for the advice.

Ebomb