PDA

View Full Version : La jolla

chris
08-25-2008, 08:30 AM
Well the plan was to launch from shelter island and head to the 182 maybe hit some tuna. Got on the water about 5 Am after a 2 and half hour drive. Hit the bait receiver for some soso jumbo sardines and set the G.P.S for the 182 some 20 miles away.well plans changed as we rounded the point and got blasted with steady wind and some chop. Quik meeting of the minds over a beer determined that with me being the only one with foul weather gear La Jolla would be a better place to check since none of us had fished there.

I wish i would have got a full scoop but if we were traveling 20 miles i didn't want them beating each other up, but coud have made use of some chum. We pulled up to where a couple PBer's were anchored in 100 feet of water and started fly lining dinos. We got a couple raked baits a crushed bait and i hooked something good that quikly wrapped me in a striger of kelp right at the back of my boat... arghhh. I fought the kelp monster for at least 5 minutes before the line shredded. Then the next bait gets picked while slow reeling it back to me, ends up being a big bone. The sporty's anchored up current of us and started a wide open bonito bite on the lures of any kind .

We moved deeper into the cove to try for the tails but all we found was bait going crazy everywhere with no biters under them. We chased bait for an hour for one hook up on a nice cuda that nator farmed at the boat. Trolled back into our first spot and the first bait i send gets exploded on at the surface about 60 feet from the boat. Two yellows went for my bait and somehow they chased it out of the water they both follwed and both missd my bait who decided to stop swimming and play dead for the birds. I tried to reel in as fast as i could to put another bait out, but you guessed it chad's bait was in the neighborhood and one of them picked it up and i gaffed chad his first yellowtail in american waters.

We hung out for another hour and went through all the good bait. I didn't get any pelagics for myself but definately had my chances(which are better than no chances). Everyone had fun nothing broke it was a good trip.

In the morning I had little dots on the fish finder in masses at the bottom and they would pass by us occasionally, I passed these off as baitfish. After filleting a couple bones that weren't going to make it I discovered small squid in their stomachs! Argggg... I wish I had dropped a squid jig down because I think that's what was on the meter. Anyone know if the squid are still hanging out? Nator caught a giant squid in the same area on Thursday night.

Water was 69 to 71 around the kelp, we fished in 60 to 100 feet and did best in 100feet

Well I'm going back to work this week in San Diego maybe I'll get a twilight or 2 in. Good luck everyone and have a safe holiday next weekend

JapanRon
08-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Hi Chris,

Excellent report ....... now that's the sort of report that can be used, with good effect, by anybody in a boat !!

thanks,

JapanRon

one_leg
08-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Nice job manning the gaff. Congrats to you on a successfull outing.

I will be happy to not catch any squid this year. Who needs em?

One_Leg

chris
08-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Nice job manning the gaff. Congrats to you on a successfull outing.

I will be happy to not catch any squid this year. Who needs em?

One_Leg

i couldn't agree more. The marks i was seeing and the squid in the belly's of the bones were the lil ones