PDA

View Full Version : Cabrillo Pier 8/24

a biley
08-24-2008, 08:04 PM
My plan today was to go fishing right after work, which I was off at 10:30 am (early yes, but I'm up at 5, people need their Starbucks). Didn't go as planned because I wanted to watch the USA vs Spain game which I recorded. Then I got really really sleepy.

Ended up going to the pier around 4 pm. I managed to hook a small hali, using a drop shot with a berkley gulp bait fish Sardine color, 3 in. It was around 12 inches or so. My little brother got a small calico right after.

But before this all happened, I hooked what would have been a monster fish. Slowly reeling my d/s i feel a huge pull, set the hook and fish ON!!! I immediately knew there was no way I would land this fish because I was fishing on 10 lb P line. I don't own any big reels and I bought this reel (Daiwa Exceler) to use when I eventually purchase my Kayak. Anyways, my rod is bending, brand new reel's drag is screaming, people surrounding me to see what it is, DAMN FISH GOES RIGHT UNDER THE PIER, and I knew it was game over for me. Perhaps a full minute later, line snaps! I knew it was big though, never felt anything like that before.

Anyways, here are the pics

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/k1ddyn4mite/IMG_1267.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/k1ddyn4mite/IMG_1268.jpg

calico killer kevin
08-25-2008, 12:19 AM
Nice sandie.:Wink:

bonestock
08-25-2008, 10:13 AM
probably a sting ray that broke ya off

Wingnut
08-25-2008, 10:31 AM
probably a sting ray that broke ya off

More like a Bat Ray. :Wink:

Looks like a nice day, good job. :Cool:

one_leg
08-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Another fun trip report.........good job.

99% sure it was a Brown Fin Tuna.

O_L

flyngby
08-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Yep the setup in the background of your photo would not last long on a Mud Marlin or a Medium sized shark!!

Thanks for the report.

Steve

ghetto dad
08-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Man that pier has LOTS of memories for me...i used to walk down there from 25th and alma to fish...there used to be a shop on there, where i worked (dude would leave us 12 year old kids to RUN that place all weekend, wed sleep there, eat, and fish fish fish!!)with a bait side and a food side...it was sooo much fun loading our live bait tank with 5 gallon buckets tied to a rope and dropped down to the bait boat!! Oh the good old care free days, when the mackerel were biting, i was in heaven!!!

GD