PDA

View Full Version : Wormin' for Perch in Central O.C. 08 22 08

CrabMan
08-24-2008, 10:32 AM
I loaded up the car and took the kids to the beach last Sunday with great expectations they would have a wonderful time and that I could catch some fresh surf bait. http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/bvloans/CONDITIONS082208.jpg
I always enjoy looking for bait myself, but when it comes to collecting sand worms, I leave the heavy lifting to the kids.:LOL:

This is a great bait to collect in the summer just after a grunion run when they come near the surface to feast on the grunion eggs. I like to start digging about ten feet below the high tide mark (at low tide). Dig a hole about the diameter of a trash can lid (or bigger) and look for the worms darting through the sand as you dig. Most worms will be about 12" -36" below the surface.http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/bvloans/SANDWORMSONHAND0808.jpg :EyePop:Grab a hold of one and carefully dig around it until it pulls from the sand.

The worms are green and peach in color (the color of the eggs they're eatin') and look a lot like a bloodworm. They are about the size of a pencil and move guickly through the sand. They will stay alive in a plastic container with a bit of moist kelp over them for three to five days.http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/bvloans/SANDWORMS0808.jpg
I like to put a frozen bottle of water in a small cooler to keep them about 60 degrees.

When fishing with worms I use the carolina rig with a 1/4th to 3/4th ounce sliding sinker. They work well for perch, croaker and the occasional corbina. I've had good luck with them on both the open beach and near jetties, rock and structure. I bet they are probably unbelievable if used beneath some of the local piers for perch.:Rolls Eyes:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/bvloans/PERCH0808.jpg
We had a nice time collecting worms and some great luck on Tuesday and Friday catching nice 12-14" perch and a couple yellowfin croaker.http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/bvloans/YFC82208.jpg Although a big corbina wasn't in the mix for me this week:Angry: maybe next week I'll use a ghost shrimp wrapped in worm to entice the gray ghost of the surf to bite!:ROFL:

P.S. I sure hope everyone had a great time at Team 57's Irvine Lake event--sorry I couldn't come but the surf was calling!:Big Grin:

ikeman
08-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Great report! Nice to see you giving away some trade secrets on how and when to collect the worms. That's what it's all about.
Perch fishing is consistent and also the easiest way to get involved in surf fishing, especially with newbies and little ones. Collecting your own bait just adds to the fun! Maybe explain the hooking and how much worm you use for those who don't know and how far out to cast.

Thanks for the share!

Jeff

soulsurfer
08-24-2008, 11:18 AM
that was fantastic !!!!!!! so that's where the sandworm comes from....hehehe sand . thanks for sharing

CrabMan
08-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Great report! Nice to see you giving away some trade secrets on how and when to collect the worms. That's what it's all about.
Perch fishing is consistent and also the easiest way to get involved in surf fishing, especially with newbies and little ones. Collecting your own bait just adds to the fun! Maybe explain the hooking and how much worm you use for those who don't know and how far out to cast.

Thanks for the share!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff for the note.:Smile: They work great for perch and yellowfin croaker with a few corbina mixed in. The best way to hook the worm is by threading it onto the hook. If you go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZAlmszGNUs you'll find a video on youtube of how I hook them. Also, you can find a few pictures of the rigging on my website: www.fishthesurf.com

When you guys use them let us know how you do and what fish you catch. Last year a friend in Hermosa used them to catch a life-time best barred perch that was so big it was stuffed for free and was on exhibit at last year's Fred Hall Show.:EyePop:

tacklejunkie
08-24-2008, 04:39 PM
Excellent surf report Bill! Thanks for the great read and awesome pics! Nice work on the perch an YFC. Never tried to dig up any sandworms yet but I bet they make awesome bait like the mussels in Malibu.

Can't wait to get out there again. Been a few weeks for me!
Thanks for the quick refresher.

P.S.. you're right. finding bait in the surf to catch your fish on can be very fun.. and rewarding too!

steve092
08-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the bait catching tip!

Nice fish!

Wingnut
08-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Awesome stuff Bill, thanks for the detailed report, many will benefit from the great information. :Cool: :Big Grin:

I saw your buddies Mark & Ken out Santa Barbara surf this morning... Ken got himself a nice legal. Wish I got myself one too. :Neutral:

chris
08-25-2008, 07:54 AM
great tips thanks for the report

sh1nynewlove
08-26-2008, 09:20 PM
wow... thanks for the nice tip :Smile:

supasportkid
08-26-2008, 10:36 PM
nice report, and very useful info. good job

BassEngineer
08-26-2008, 11:02 PM
Great report, you worm lover!
:Smile:

Badfish2
08-27-2008, 03:58 AM
Old school fishing at it's best... good job on the wormin'

Cangler
08-27-2008, 07:30 AM
That's a nice YFC ..

CrabMan
08-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Great report, you worm lover!
:Smile:

OK, the words out, I'm busted!:EyePop: Although I guess it's better than having crabs!:ROFL:

flyngby
08-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the valuable info on the worms!!!

A few months ago while in NPH there was a guy slurping for the Ghosties and was also getting those same worms.

I now see their value and may try them in the Harbor as a new arsenal.

Sorry I had to back out of your Fantastic Event at Seal Beach a few months ago at the last moment in order to pay respects to fellow Fallen Hero's and their Family's.

Always great info in your posts!!!!!!!

Thanks Bill

Steve

CrabMan
08-27-2008, 10:14 PM
[QUOTE=flyngby;233819]Thanks for the valuable info on the worms!!!

A few months ago while in NPH there was a guy slurping for the Ghosties and was also getting those same worms.

I now see their value and may try them in the Harbor as a new arsenal.

Sorry I had to back out of your Fantastic Event at Seal Beach a few months ago at the last moment in order to pay respects to fellow Fallen Hero's and their Family's.

Always great info in your posts!!!!!!!

Thanks Bill

Thanks Steve for the note. Hopefully you can attend our next seminar--we'll have to double the inside info to cover what you missed!!!

jrockn
09-03-2008, 02:34 PM
aswome report! did you drop shot or use any movement. Or do you just let them sink. You can PM if you want Thanks JR

CrabMan
09-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Hey JR,
I fish the worms using the Carolina Rig. Egg sinker 3/4 oz, clear bead, black #12 swivel, 18-36" 6lb flourocarbon leader and a #1 eagle claw bait holder hook (the ones with the barbs on the shank). I fan cast them out and retrieve very slowly keeping tension on the line. When I feel a bite I reel fevorishly and pray!:EyePop:

Hope that helps!:LOL: