PDA

View Full Version : drain plug help

lizzay
08-23-2008, 09:20 AM
So I got this boat, it's a jon boat with carpet and stuff, old boat/motor but clean and starts up first pull so it's good especially I only paid 1400 bucks for it, not a bad deal. Anyways, there is one problem though, I took it out at the pudd yesterday and realized that the "new" drain plug is trickling water inside, not a whole lot but very. Should I just cap it off forever? Any suggestions? In order for me to like this boat I think I don't want any water getting in, even if it's so little. Please help, thanks.

chris
08-23-2008, 10:36 AM
try some plumbers tape or a different drain plug first

Rooster
08-23-2008, 08:38 PM
I hate to ask , But you did turn it and tighten it all the way correct? The more ya turn the plug the more it expands..

dragonrpc
08-23-2008, 09:05 PM
on the small tracker I recently got, the previous fishermen had "sealed" the plug, leaving it in and siliconing (or something) it to death. I've had the boat in several times and its definetly water tight, so I'm not going to make any changes at this point. For yours I agree give another plug a try in case one day you want to use it to hose down the inside or something, mine I can flip over by hand if needed.

good luck

lizzay
08-23-2008, 10:23 PM
I hate to ask , But you did turn it and tighten it all the way correct? The more ya turn the plug the more it expands..

Actually no I didn't, I'll give that a try. If it expands and you pull it out, you would have to turn it to expand again? Sorry, the only other boat I ever had me and my pops bought last year, it's a 18 bayliner so the drain plug screws in with no problem. hey, if you ever by chance run into something like that duroboat, please let me know I'm still looking for that. Thanks for the help, this is why I hate old boats...

Rooster
08-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Lizz my man, first off let me give ya a couple tips just incase you or someone does not know.
On the trailer, always cross the chains when attaching them.
Unplug the lights when putting the boat into the water.
I dont want to overwelm you so thats it for the tips today :LOL:
Remember that boat i told you to buy? I saw it at the vine at the legends event..Bitchen boat , Trolly is the new proud owner.. Congrats Trolly

Back to the plug problem. I guess i should have asked you first which plug you have. Some expand by snaping them into place and others by turning the little t handle. Which do you have?
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/01/10/83/i011083sn01.jpg

seahonk
08-24-2008, 01:20 AM
If all the advise above dont fix the leak , To find the leak in your boat put the plug in and fill the hull with water and look for water leaking on the out side :Wink: .

lizzay
08-24-2008, 08:28 AM
thanks for all the help guys, I have the snap handle one. Once I find "that boat" I will be selling this one anyway but would love to fix the problem before it goes to the next person. It's a cool boat but I just want a newer one. Gracias dudes!!!

grimpy
08-24-2008, 02:38 PM
on those snap in ones, you still turn it a bit to tighten it more and then snap it into place.

lizzay
08-24-2008, 02:58 PM
on those snap in ones, you still turn it a bit to tighten it more and then snap it into place.

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna head out to santa ana rivers for some 10+ cats in a bit, will try it out.

HEMAN
08-24-2008, 04:19 PM
those plugs are cheap and can be found at walmart for under $4. BPS has two packs as well. I bought a bunch of extras just incase...

Troutman65
08-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Congrats on your finding a boat to buy lizzay. You had been looking for some time. Looking forward to reading your fishing reports.:Big Grin:

lizzay
08-25-2008, 03:57 PM
With all the help that I've received about the drain plug I managed to "plug it up" it's tighter than a well... you know what. Anyhow, went to santa ana rivers to test it out, good part is that the boat is dry and I made sure to unplug the trailer and that made a difference because the last time at the pudd I didn't and one of the bulbs went out, I didn't change the bulb but for some reason they came back on but didn't blink but still worked after the launch (unplugged connectors). Thanks again to all of you for the help, it was pretty stressful to buy a boat and have to worry. *sigh* Maybe a brand spanking new Lund or Duroboat will make this better. Nevertheless, problem solved. Thanks guys!