PDA

View Full Version : WFO Threshers...pt.2

TroutChaser
08-22-2008, 07:03 AM
Date: 8/21/08
Location: Somewhere near my house. definately not in Malibu!!
PETA facts: Fish fought hard and was rewarded with his life.. CPR!!

Headed out of Ventura Harbor about 7:00 in search of Cali's and hopefully a little WSB action. Since I have a 15 ft aluminum and there was a little chop on the water, I decided to stay close to home.

Shortly after getting to the spot, I noticed bait fish jumping for their lives. Threw plastics for a bit but realized this was different. I started getting the feeling I wasnt alone out there, my senses told me it was big. Thinking quickly I set up the ultra light and fish on....Thats right two nice macs about 12 inches each. Now the fun begins....

Since the biggest rod I had on me is a piece of #%#% with 30 pound test, I knew it would be a battle. Luckilly a packed a healthy 150LB leader with me. Set up the rod tossed out the Mac and Game ON!!!!! Line begins sreaming of the reel, A huge shark leaps fully airborne off the stern. Is it me?? Just then my line begins sreaming through the water, bait fish are still jumping out of the way and the beast goes airborne again about 20 yards out. This continued for about 45 minutes until he charged the boat and tried something new.

He ran under, around,and stayed down. The aluminum skiff went in circles gaining line and losing line for the next ????? lost track..., It seemed forever and my arms are still sore.
At one point (see pic) the pole was totally Bendo as I stuggled to get him to the boat faster for the release. On thirty pound test, this is easier said then done. Finally he showed himself and he was HUGE. 8-10 foot..Game Over!! He stretched from the transom to the steering wheel. As I was alone and only had my cell phone, I snapped a couple pics (the pictures do it no justice..trust me)

Quickly removing the hook, the beast began to sink...NOOOOOO!! then all of a sudden, the huge tail swung, his body leveled and he slowly swam by the skiff as if to say thanks... Watched him swim out of view and realized, that was the fish of a lifetime.

I have caught lots of big fish but nothing has left me this sore..

CHASER

Ps. what does a 8-10 foot thresher weigh.. 150-200??

lalo56
08-22-2008, 07:10 AM
Man! Look at that rod! WTG!

chris
08-22-2008, 07:45 AM
great catch and release' how did you find the time to shoot pictures

tacklejunkie
08-22-2008, 09:12 AM
:Shocked: woah man. crazy!

one_leg
08-22-2008, 09:34 AM
I bet it would have tasted ok. :Wink:

Looks like you were at Malibu, am I right? :Wink:

Good job on the fish identification, Matt.

O_L

fish_sauce
08-22-2008, 11:09 AM
those are awesome shots of the fish with just a cell fone camera...and taken by yourself too!

must be one epic battle. thanks for sharing :Cool:

TroutChaser
08-22-2008, 04:28 PM
thanks for the replies guys.
As for getting the pics, If I wasnt going to keep the fish I figured I needed proof.

If someone else was on board there would have been video too..It was amazing seeing it jump clear out of the water!

ps. O_L = your wrong!!! It was taken at the goon on a crawler...

CHASER

lalo56
08-22-2008, 04:31 PM
How do you go about releasing a shark without getting bit? what do you use? cut the line?

TroutChaser
08-22-2008, 04:37 PM
very carefully...LOL

I have a hook remover by Rapala. It is about 15 inches long and has a trigger that pops the hook out. It works great but to be honest, I'm looking for a longer one now..
Chaser

lalo56
08-22-2008, 04:49 PM
very carefully...LOL

I have a hook remover by Rapala. It is about 15 inches long and has a trigger that pops the hook out. It works great but to be honest, I'm looking for a longer one now..
Chaser

LOL i figured :LOL:
Cool. Im just curious just incase i ever get on one.

supasportkid
08-22-2008, 06:21 PM
congrats on that beast!! cool pics also

KID CREOLE
08-25-2008, 07:43 AM
How do you go about releasing a shark without getting bit? what do you use? cut the line?

Small threshers like this aren't a problem IF you have two people on the boat, you don't need to worry about the teeth, you need to be careful of the tail!

TroutChaser
08-25-2008, 05:36 PM
listen to the kid. Their mouths are rather small but that tail is dangerous...

Rumors have it that fisherman have been decapitated by Thresher tails...

Chaser

troutdog
08-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Nice catch and wtg on the cpr, sounds liek you had a great time out there!

TD