PDA

View Full Version : 5/26/2007 Catalina

xahx
05-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Not the best of days, but some interesting organisms were pulled from the ocean.

We left early am, in fear that memorial day weekend would be packed with anglers, and we were right! We needed to get live squid at avalon, and getting there before they sold out was our plan.

Fished few spots on the backside and found a good one where we were landing a bunch of whitefish and rockfish.

Overall good day, a tad slow, but we still managed a few good ones btwn 4 ppl.

We caught some weird stuff around the East of the island.

See pics!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/xahx/DSC04119.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/xahx/DSC04114.jpg

NO NETS USED, these were caught on fishing line! weird~!!

rusty6
05-27-2007, 05:40 PM
i'm not entirely sure but i think taking crustaceans on hook and line is illegal too. don't take my word for it, i may be wrong.

JapanRon
05-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Hi xahx,

Yikes :shock: ....... as said ........ that's a Mantis Shrimp :shock: .... how did you keep from getting your finger sliced off with their one razor-sharp, lightening-fast claw?

lucky ducky,

JapanRon

Ambassadorhawg
05-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Nice Spider Crab & Mantis Shrimp! You should have put the Crab on top of your head and worn it like a hat. And then put the Shrimp into a bucket of Freshwater to watch it freak out!

xahx
05-27-2007, 08:51 PM
lols.....

the mantis sshrimp i was freakin out when they pulled it up...

Told them what i had heard about it... i am also into aquariums and they are quite the pest to have in your tank.

Anyway, told them my facts and theories about the mantis shrimp and they totally thought i was over reacting.

One of my buds said that there are 2 species of mantis shrimp, and apprently this was the 'safe' kind. Anyhow, i noticed the mantis and its razor super claws, fidgeting around, so i broke them claws off for safety. No more hazards after that~

:lol: :lol: :lol:

xahx
05-27-2007, 08:53 PM
see that yellow piece in the pic... the one on the left side of the black bucket/tray... well thats one of his super claws that could have caused some negative memories.

smokehound
05-27-2007, 09:16 PM
There is no such thing as a safe mantis shrimp. Even the tiniest ones can either slice a finger open or cause a small hairline fracture. I would see alot of mantis shrimp at corona del mar feasting on sandcrabs in summer right around my ankles. However! They taste great! Just throw em on a hot skillet for a few sec. and they will piss themselves. After that, wash em off, and boil em. I just honestly dont know if i could resist not keeping that spidey and mantis. Both of em make fine eating as far as i'm concerned.

Always nice to see something uncommon on a trip!

SanDimasLMB
05-28-2007, 01:01 PM
Mantis shrimp actually taste good? No no wait, you can eat matis shrimp? :shock: