PDA

View Full Version : Casting Reels in the Surf

gavin310
08-20-2008, 11:38 PM
I was at Sport Chalet the other day looking for a casting rod. I brought my reel with me to make sure it would fit the rod correctly. I was talking with the guy in the fishing department and mentioned I was going to be surf fishing with my new Avet reel. He started going off about how I'm going to ruin it from sand getting into it and it's a shame because it's a nice reel, etc. I was under the impression casting reels aren't as prone to problems like that in the surf. I see pictures of Wingnut's casting reels sitting directly on the sand next to his fish. My reel seems very tightly built, but I think small pieces of sand could still get in there. What do you guys think? Am I flirting with disaster here? Will I need to completely disassemble and clean my reel after every use in the surf? I splurged a bit on the reel and don't want to ruin it.

calico killer kevin
08-21-2008, 12:15 AM
Dropping it in saltwater is fine, but watch out when you're near shore where the sand and water are mixed. Now that's a killer. BTW what are you using that SX for? If it's for throwing stuff like LC's it may not get much distance. I would recommend the new curado or citica. They are great reels and will cast any LC a MILE.

Ricky-Ray
08-21-2008, 01:06 AM
Yes it's a finely built reel but you gotta remember the sand can be finer than the gaps that are on the reel. If you start just throwing the reel into the sand or whatever then eventually sand will get into the reel and will start to cause problems. I'd agree with Calico Kevin, if your throwing light bait's it might not be the reel of choice to use. The few times I did try out surf fishing I wound up using my 6 ft. trout rod with ultra light spinner combo that I paid 30 bucks for at Turners and it worked out great.

Badfish2
08-21-2008, 02:21 AM
Yeah, sand in the reel is no bueno

steve092
08-21-2008, 05:26 AM
Yeah, sand in the reel is no bueno

I've already lost 1 reel to the sandwater mix.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
08-21-2008, 07:14 AM
If you want a decent casting reel ,without jacking you bank account. The shimano cardiff 200 is an awsome reel for the surf. At $99.00 its a steal. It puts my diawa coastal to shame. I use it with the 8.5ft rod, i mentioned on your other thread. Dont listen to the all guys at the freakin stores. Half dont even fish. Good luck .. Mike the pmb....

PUDD MASTER BAITER
08-21-2008, 07:55 AM
I just looked up the reel you bought. That reel should be used for off shore unless your going for big bat rays ,or sharks. Casting that reel from shore with lcs will be messy. The reel is ok if you plan on using whole mackrel, or squid from the surf with min. 3 oz. Just trying to help. The cardiff with the rod i mentioned would be a perfect combo for casting lcs,plastic or dropshot for halis,bass or croakers. Off the surf, bays or jettys.good luck.... Mike the pmb...

bsp
08-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Like everybody else said an avet SX would be major overkill if you are going after halibut, perch, and croakers with artificials. That is a 20lb line class reel, and is more suited to offshore or shark fishing. If you want to catch sharks and rays from the surf (10ft rod, 4-6oz sinkers, 4/0 hooks with mackerel chunks and wire leaders) it will work really well, but it will not work at all for anything else. Take a look at a Cardiff 200, like PMB said. They are really nice reels, for the price, and can cast 1/4 oz weight effectivey with a little prcatice. I toss flashminnows with mine, and it consistently outcasts my spinning reels. The rod you want will be rated for 1/4oz-5/8 oz, 8-17lb line, be between 7' and 8' long, and be medium or medium fast action. That should cover all your surf fishing needs. Put 10lb or 12lb on for your mainline (halibut with swim baits and lucky crafts), and use a 4lb or 6lb leader for perch and croakers.

The reason you can put baitcasting reels on their side on the sand is because most of them have solid side plates. This makes it hard for sand to get in. Just be sure to rinse your reel off with fresh water after every surf outing, and try not get sand into the MOVING parts. Break them down every month to check for salt build up, and the reel will last a long time.

City Dad
08-21-2008, 10:43 AM
... I see pictures of Wingnut's casting reels sitting directly on the sand next to his fish...

As my ma would say "If you saw a picture of Wingnut jumping off a bridge would you do the same?" JK!

I started fishing the surf with a mid-range freshwater set-up. Made sure to keep it out of the sand and rinse after use and had no problems. Then I let my nephew fish with it once and that reel was done for. All it takes is a single dunk in the sand and you basically have the mechanical equivilant of multiple grinding wheels working against eachother.

Some guys are proponents of the "disposable" surf rig. Not an entirely crazy philosophy.

Wingnut
08-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Don't follow my lead when it comes to the treatment of your gear. I've been reported many times to P.E.T.S. (People for the Ethical Treatment of Surfgear). :LOL: :Twisted:
Those who have been out in the surf with me have witnessed and can attest to the cruel treatment of my gear. It would freak some people out if they saw how many times I dunk my reels on every trip. A $100 reel or a $500 reel, they all get equal treatment. Even though I have not (completely) ruin any of my reels, the cost of maintenance is astronomical. I usually have my reels service after every 2-3 trips to the surf.

As much as you try to be careful and protect your gear, you're in the surf & saltwater environment... it's just a matter of time. If you're that worried about it, fish from the local pier. :LOL: I, personally don't waste my time worrying about and babying my gear. You'll be better off directing your attention to the surf. Where to place the next cast, performing the perfect retrieve and anticipating that hookset. :Wink:

Koshaw
08-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Maybe it would be cheaper for Wingnut to invest in a shop that repairs/maintains salt water and fresh water tackle ^^

Or just put em on retainer :)

Great info on this as usual =)

gavin310
08-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Wow ok, i thought for sure my fancy new reel would dominate in the surf. i got a smaller sized one thinking it would be better for casting lighter lures. i guess i'll keep this one for the off-shore outings like a tuna trip i have coming up, and maybe check out that Cardiff 200 for my surf fishing. after ruining 2 spinning reels in a few months i want something that's a little more forgiving and has fewer parts than a spinning reel.