PDA

View Full Version : Popping a cherry at La Jolla

bruce watson
08-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Boy did that title get your attention. My friend, Craig and I decided to meet up this morning for a little yellowtail chasing down in San Diego. It was dark thirty in the morning when I woke up but somehow I managed to get the boat connected to the truck and my *** down there a little after 7am.

He told me early on that he's never done this before. I haven't heard those words in over forty years and I immediately started having flashbacks. Then he explained that he had never caught a YT before. I had brought a gold two speed on a calstar rod and a daiwa sh20sl on a 700xl if they turned out to be small. I'm not really sure what he brought except that my granddaughter catches pelicans on a similar set up with the Shimano Shirley Temple model reel on hers.

The water leaving Mission Bay was 62.3 degrees. That did not look good. By the time we got to La Jolla we were seeing 70.4's. Amazing there was such a change in less than 7 or 8 miles. Time to do some trolling, aka sitting on out butts and burning gas. After an hour of that, we moved into the bay and started flylining sardines. Sea lions everywhere. We had a problem with the dogs so Craig tries a fishtrap and gets first solid hit. The fish went straight down and showed Craig what YT are made of. After a long fight on a small rod the fish jumped into my net to get away from the sealion that I hit with the net.

I was up next with a legal sized cormorant. I've been taking bird fishing lessons from Carly, my grandkid, and I made sure it ran with the bait before I pulled back gently on the rod and let the circle hook do it work.

It was a day of quite a few hook ups but between the dogs and the kelp we only managed to take home one each. Still a lot of fun.

troutdog
08-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Nice job beating the skunk guys, even thise smaller grade yts pull pretty hard....wtg!

Getting close to signup time for Saturday Bruce....:Wink:

TD

bruce watson
08-20-2008, 11:33 AM
I already did sign up. Carly and Abby have an early flight home Saturday. Their other grandma is going to fly with them.

troutdog
08-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Cool....I had not looked at the list this morning, glad you fell off the fence. Looking forward to some good stories, anyone who interupts while your talking will get an elbow dropped on 'em:Wink:

See you there....oh and don't forget the plug if you are launching your boat!:ROFL:

TD

chris
08-20-2008, 11:54 AM
nice lil yellows. are there no fishing areas in la jolla?

olfishergal
08-20-2008, 12:10 PM
uh huh.........YT's huh.........all i get are Toms and guitars.......:ROFL: Must be the company!!!

bruce watson
08-20-2008, 12:30 PM
uh huh.........YT's huh.........all i get are Toms and guitars.......:ROFL: Must be the company!!!

All we gotta do is go on a Monday.

steve092
08-20-2008, 02:54 PM
Nice YTs! :Cool:

flyngby
08-20-2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the report!!

Glad to see your boat keep up the bird count again and with a different species.

Nice job on the smaller TY's, can be great fun on the lighter tackle.

Steve

CoffeaRobusta
08-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Nice job on the YT. BTW, that cormorant doesn't count. looks foul-hooked to me.

bruce watson
08-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Nice job on the YT. BTW, that cormorant doesn't count. looks foul-hooked to me.

OK, I was caught cheating. But in my own defense, I never tried to turn it in for any tournament. I was practicing for Irvine lake in case they have a largest cormorant class at the Legends get together.

tacklejunkie
08-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Love the color of those fish in the pic!
Nice YT's man!

Troutman65
08-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Nice going on the smaller units of YT. Better than the skunk for sure.:Big Grin:

Bruce, you ever launch out of Dana Point? You might try that next time?:Secret:

Thanks for the report and pics.

bruce watson
08-21-2008, 06:36 AM
Dana is one of the places I like to launch from during lobster season. The thing I like most about Dana is the finger docks and the free washdown.

Nessie Hunter
08-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Way to go Bruce & Craig. Good to see Craig in the Salt.. :EyePop:

Thats some great eating ya both got there, good job guys!!!

one_leg
08-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Nice lil yellers you guys gots there Brucey!!!

After a long fight on a small rod the fish jumped into my net to get away from the sealion that I hit with the net.

(A) The term “ harassment” means any act of pursuit, torment, or annoyance
which—
(i) has the potential to injure a marine mammal or marine mammal stock in the
wild; or
(ii) has the potential to disturb a marine mammal or marine mammal stock in
the wild by causing disruption of behavioral patterns, including, but not limited to,
migration, breathing, nursing, breeding, feeding, or sheltering.

At least you didn't post pics of your furbag bashing.......lol

Nessie might have had a few choice words for you if that had been the case.

O_L