PDA

View Full Version : Team 57 heads to mexico!

Fisherman57
08-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Sansou PM'd me and advised me he's busy baking cupcakes for Saturday's Legends II" event :ROFL:...... and asked if I could post his recent fishing trip to Mexico. So here it is.....

Left last Friday to San Quintin with a group of gringos (12) in a caravan of three vehicles. Right off the bat, the lead vehicle of non-spanish speakers missed the turnoffs for Mex 1D, and put us right in the middle of nowhere Tijuana.

No bueno.

We pulled over, I got directions and we got on the highway after an hour of sweating bullets.

Five hours and a couple taco & Pemex stops later we got into San Quintin and did the dirt road right hand turnoff. Muchas cervezas and incredible Don Eddie's dinner later, did some quick pier fishing (literally 100 feet from our room) hit the hay for a 6 a.m. departure on our panga.

Our pangadero ("El Pato" - The Duck) was skippering a 28 foot fiberglass CC with a 350 Chevy (Pedro's Pangas...our particular boat cost $320). It was quick. We made bait for an hour, then started chasing WSB around the bay. Long story made short, myself and a my buddy Chuck hooked and farmed a few a piece, but eventually I got a baby 20 something lber in on the iron.

Around 1 pm we headed outside the bay to do the obligatory rock codding. No serious lings caught as we didn't have time to do the 240 (Ben's) or the Isla locations by our choice. Tons of bottom critters caught, then we headed home to watch our fish being cleaned. Our next door neighbors, some old asian dudes who make the San Q trip quite a lot, nailed a 72, 55 and 50lber. The fish were ridulously huge, and I was a bit suprised at how they go about it...

The other boats in the fleet did pretty much like we did as far as WSB is concerned from listening to the radio chatter. Those that opted for the offshore trips didn't do so well, and this includes the private boaters. The paddies were there, but only a few rat yellows and rat dodos.

Not worth it IMO.

Later that day I had plans to catch some mojarra and halibut from where El Pato was suggesting from shore, but the beer and great food got the better of me, and I just watched fish jump from the patio of the restaurant.

Went out later in the evening with some of the guys to see the local talent, which was a jaw dropper. We happened on a karaoke bar called El Altena (a few hundred meters just before the Federales sub-station) and were flabbergasted at how many truly pretty chicas were there. The single guys gave it their best, but these aren't "working" girls, so they didn't get too far.... ha ha!!

The next day my buddy and I broke off from the caravan, and we went and did some recon for T57. We hit up Castro's and checked out Coyote Cal's lodging, and then doubled back and went up and west to Pta Colonet. Saw the urchin divers and lobstermen, ate some steamed uni with a beer in a shack, and got pangadero prices (cheap as heck!!).

Got into Rosarito after further tourist detours, ate the obligatory fish tacos and bought the obligatory bottles of tequila, and settled in for a painful 1 and 45 min wait at the frontera. Was home by 9pm, and happy to be able to sleep in my own bed after literally several weeks or so of galavanting around Colorado and Las Vegas.

Will be back in a couple months (same boat, same skip) to go make up for my WSB fishing ineptitude!!

More pics below....

Sansou

Granny Fish
08-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Fasinating report, can't wait to see the pictures.

troutdog
08-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Sounds like a good time to me, looking forward to pics!

"I'll have two cookies and a shot of the house tequila bartender" :LOL:

See you guys Saturday!

TD

Troutman65
08-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Sansou, thanks for the report. looking forward to when you can post the pics. :Big Grin:

one_leg
08-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Sansou, thanks for the report. looking forward to when you can post the pics. :Big Grin:

Patrick, I am looking forward to when you can view the pics too. 56K :Neutral:

The girls didn't want you guys? What in the world is going on in Mexico these days?

Looking forward to seeing the c-bass pics. Great going down south.

BIGRED KILLA
08-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the report Rich and the post Dana looks like you had a good time out there Rich to bad about the ones that got away i would like to do another trip down there it would be a blast to tangle with a 50+ S bass.

Bigred

ironshrimp
08-20-2008, 09:44 AM
yeh bebeh.....you've inspired me Rich, already scheming for my baja getaway shortly

Wingnut
08-20-2008, 03:57 PM
I gotta find some time to head down there one of these days. I heard the surf fishing is off the hook! :Twisted: :Envious:

Fisherman57
08-20-2008, 05:53 PM
More pics......

Fisherman57
08-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Even MORE pics.....

BIGRED KILLA
08-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Ya thats what i am talking about i am so excited thanks for the pics i need to go again.

Bigred

sansou
08-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks for posting my report Dana....it's not like you are busy enough taking care of last minute details for LEGENDS II. Ha ha!!

BigRed: I think you are going in Oct/Nov. Speak to your bro, we're in the planning stages, for either San Q or San Felipe (the other side....for homeguard YT and 100lb grouper)

Wingnut: All I can say is that you would storm these beaches like Normandy! You need to think about making the quickie run (Fri to Sun) down to San Q with us in the next couple months....Get there noon Fri, surf fish to evening, saturday boat ride to 3pm, quick late sat afternoon surf fish, get up early sunday and hit-n-run the coast on the way up back to SD. I doubt the fish down there have even seen a hardbait before. ha ha!!

BIGRED KILLA
08-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Ya thats what i am talking about Rich i am ready for those yellers i really want a grouper Wingnut will kill it up there thats where he will get his yellow of the beach.

Bigred

Wingnut
08-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Wingnut: All I can say is that you would storm these beaches like Normandy! You need to think about making the quickie run (Fri to Sun) down to San Q with us in the next couple months....Get there noon Fri, surf fish to evening, saturday boat ride to 3pm, quick late sat afternoon surf fish, get up early sunday and hit-n-run the coast on the way up back to SD. I doubt the fish down there have even seen a hardbait before. ha ha!!

Ya thats what i am talking about Rich i am ready for those yellers i really want a grouper Wingnut will kill it up there thats where he will get his yellow of the beach.

Bigred

Oh man, let's do it!!! A friend of mine (Anferny7) was just down there for a week and he absolutely killed it from the surf. He says that he caught Corvina on almost every cast and the Halibut were thick like carpet down there. :Shocked:
He even caught a Pompano from the surf!

Let's plan something soon! And yes, I want that Yellowtail from the surf! :Twisted:

BassEngineer
08-20-2008, 09:56 PM
My ADD is preventing me from reading thru the original post...but the pics are great!
:Smile:

Nice anglin'

Trout Nine
08-20-2008, 11:20 PM
Looks like you guys had a very nice time, WTG on ALL the fish! now that's one trip that I would love to go on.

T9

tacklejunkie
08-21-2008, 08:29 AM
Sounds like a killer trip Sansou! Thanks for the pics and report!
When you said San Q I for some odd reason thought you meant the prison! :Shocked::LOL:

Some of those pics look like it would be killer to just step out to the surf and toss the LC.

ironshrimp
08-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Rich,

you're making my pimples hard....you Mother Soccer

you killed it out there bro...you're my hero...

dude, I'm Jazzed...

hopefully I'll get a chance to hit up the East Cape sooner than Later for some offshore/nearshore Yak fishing

Keep in touch me on than San Felipe thing though, sounds tempting

Fisherman57
08-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Oh man, let's do it!!! A friend of mine (Anferny7) was just down there for a week and he absolutely killed it from the surf. He says that he caught Corbina on almost every cast and the Halibut were thick like carpet down there. :Shocked:
He even caught a Pompano from the surf!

Let's plan something soon! And yes, I want that Yellowtail from the surf! :Twisted:

Let's hit the surf down there A.

Wingnut
08-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Let's hit the surf down there A.

Dana, you plan a weekend trip, and I"M THERE! :Envious:

I also read an article in W.O.N. just recently about a place called Scorpion Bay down there somewhere. That place is outa of control from the surf! :Twisted:

Fisherman57
08-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Dana, you plan a weekend trip, and I"M THERE! :Envious:

I also read an article in W.O.N. just recently about a place called Scorpion Bay down there somewhere. That place is outa of control from the surf! :Twisted:

Im on it.............

olfishergal
08-21-2008, 03:26 PM
You guys are getting me hot and bothered to get to fishing down there.......I suppose it will be a guys only thingie....:Angry:

sansou
08-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Olfishergal: I'd invite you, but I don't to get my butt kicked (or at least a 4 hour lecture) by Bruce Watson. Ha ha!!

You know you are always invited Chris, you just have to put up with foul language, snoring, and ridiculous sexual conquest stories....ya know, "the usual".