PDA

View Full Version : feeling nostalgic

so cal shaggy
08-19-2008, 04:20 PM
I was looking through some old photos with my father last weekend and started remembering our Saturday mornings fishing at belmont shores on the marine stadium side. First stop in the morning was the bait shop just past 2nd street heading North on seal beach blvd. There is a shopping center there now but when I was young it was wetlands with a lone bait shop sitting in the middle when you walked in it smelled like low tide in 90 degrees but it was the coolest place they had wooden bins with just a little water in them with every kind of live bait you would need I remember goin in with my grandfathter and him getting 1 dozen ghost shrimp, 1 dozen mudsuckers and 2 dozen bloodworms the guys working there would just scoop them up from the bins into little chinese food take out boxes there was even a channel with a small dock behind the shop for boats to pull up. Anyone else remember this shop? The closest place to it now is Norms on seal beach bldv and PCH and even they have changed I remember when I was young they used to have all kinds of live bait back in the old days.

Jeff

troutdog
08-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Great to be able to appreciate old photos and be reminded of good times as a kid....I have a huge box of photos I like to look through every now and again.

I used to go down to Santa Monica pier back in the early 80's when the sportfishing boats Indiana and Keiora used to run out of there, we used to fish for macks and tomcod off the pier while my friend Jay's Dad worked in Century City. Chilli dogs, fries and a coke while listening to Vin Scully on a Sunday afternoon....ah the good old days! I sure miss my fishing buddy Jay.(RIP my brotha)

TD

one_leg
08-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Sure, the good ole days!

Used to fish on the Hurricane 3/4 day out of Belmont Shores Pier as a kid.

That, and the Seal Beach Barge. I had forgotten about the Belmont Pier.

We'd peruse all the cool new stuff before heading out to slay.

In the early 70's he fishing was so good that most people think that I am exaggerating when I tell them.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.