PDA

View Full Version : eastern sierras 3rd week of september

bstolton
08-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Hi all
planing a week long trip,got hooked on fishing last year from a august trip to june lake loop.Looking to stay in a cabin or travel trailer setup, the wife and I and the dog. Want to go back to june lake loop and also convict lake, went there once in high school, 30 years ago. Also of interest from reading the many great posts here, are rock creek lake (toms place), south lake (parchers resort), and virginia lakes. Not sure if we should just stay in one place like june lake and travel to different locations each day,or stay south for a few days than move north.We will mostly be shore fishing so any feedback on good locations and accessability at these lakes would be helpfull.One day we may rent a boat, last year at june we rented a pontoon boat and that worked out good with the dog.What is the boat rental situation at some of these other lakes.Any recomendations on cabin or trailer rentals would be helpful also must be dog friendly.Sorry for so many questions, but I know you guys will have some good recomendations.I will post pictures and reports when we return.
Thanks Bill

brant
08-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Bill,

That trip sounds amazing. I've always preferred the cabin route. Parchers is great if you plan on doing the Bishop creek area (South Lake, Creek, Weir Pond, Sabrina, North Lake, etc.) Boat rental will be at Sabrina and South Lake. But you are a bit far from June Lake all the way down there.

Tom's place is a great base camp (usually what I use) as you can go right up to Rock Creek, Mammoth, Crowley or June Lake. Or staying up in Mammoth isn't bad either as you are located near all those places. Or just stay up on the June Lake Loop in a place like Silver Lake Resort. I also really love the Tamarack Lodge in Mammoth as it is on the water of the twin lakes (literally could cast from some of the cabins) and it is right near Mary, Maimie, George etc. Been up 4x this year so far.

Brant

Badfish2
08-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Depends on your preferences ... some people are picky about lodging. If I hotel it, I stay in Bishop. The entire sierra are within an 1 hr of there more or less. If I camp, I prefer Rock Creek Canyon, or Virginia lakes canyon area.Good luck on the trip

jeff4321
08-19-2008, 09:26 AM
www.parchersresort.net

Devious 1
08-19-2008, 11:16 AM
If you have the $, you can't beat the cabin route but for my dollar I prefer to rent a condo from www.MammothReservations.com They have a late summer special going where if you book 5 nights, you get 2 free! There are condos that will allow pets and at that rate, a 1 bedroom will run you $650 give or take (Do the math, that is dirt cheap compared to a lot of the resorts and even Motel 6 can't beat that rate!!!). The one I like the best has free Wi-fi, a big screen HD TV and free firewood and is right in the middle of town so I can walk to the bars and resturants. Mammoth is where I like to set up for a week becuase you can go north to Bridgeport or south to Bishop Canyon easily on any given day. Either way, good luck and tight lines!

bstolton
08-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Hey guys
Thanks for the input so far. Leaning towards staying at june lake,anyone have any lodging recomendations. What about pine cliff resort, fern creek lodge, or big rock resort. Are these with in walking distance of the village.Also if we split our time between june and bishop area, would you guys recomend parchers resort over toms place or rock creek resort.

Thanks again Bill

Badfish2
08-20-2008, 12:43 AM
I've camped at Oh! Ridge in the pine cliff area .. it wasn't too bad. Trees everywhere, pretty clean and very big campsites for big groups. Probably the best group camp area around. Just a short walk to the best spot on June Lake to shore fish

Flying
08-20-2008, 01:04 PM
I'm a Looper too.

Was a regular at Pine Cliff in the past.
http://www.mammothlakes.com/June_Lake/Pine_Cliff_Resort.html
We loved the place in the fall. Most sites are full hook up. We would get a site with water and electricity(for a heater) for the tent trailer. Worked out good back then with 2 small kids and a dog. They have showers,laundry room and a general store. Its a privately owned camp ground.
Don't rent their trailers. They are pretty bitchy about the clean up when you leave. They are also old and pretty dumpy.

Try http://www.adventureincamping.com/ for a trailer rental brought to Pine Cliff. They are pet friendly. My buddy+wife+dog did it a few times and liked it. They just got a small one mainly for sleeping and did most of the cooking outside camping style.

http://www.discoverwhisperingpines.com/ had some pet friendly units in the past. I've never stayed there myself but a friend gets a A frame there every year. They are in the loop between Gull and silver.

Me and the wife condo in Mammoth now. Its central to everything we want. We stay Mountain Shadows. Its right in town by the Vons market. Easy in,easy out. Its nice to have a real shower and bed after a long day.
This unit is pet friendly. http://www.vrbo.com/136737
We stayed in this unit last year.(no pest) http://lodging4vacations.com/mammoth-lakes-condo/
We are getting a downstairs unit this year with wifi and HBO.Its only a studio so we'll be roughing it on the size:ROFL:

We'll be going up the last week of Sept into Oct.:Big Grin:

golfish
08-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Just a reminder, Western Outdoor News has their Double Haul in the fall fish kill around that time of year..you shouldn't have problems finding a condo, hotel room or camp site. Its just Crowley lake that will be effected...more people the weekend before and a few days before the event.

EMarty
08-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Double haul tournament has been canceled this year. Shouldn’t be an issue finding a place. Late in September you should send at least a few hours on Grant Lake. I'd try by where Rush Creek enter the lake. I've had good luck tossing a size 7 Rapala in rainbow or silver and black from a float tube, but I'm sure you will do fine from the bank. Brown Trout start getting really active about that time. Might even find some in the creek… Hope you will be kind enough catch and release any of the Browns you do catch in the creek.

Best of luck

bstolton
08-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Hey everyone
Thanks for all the feedback. We found a place called june lake pine cottages that is real reasonable and is located right in the village. Not expecting anything fancy just hoping its clean. Has anybody stayed there? I can`t wait to go, all this planing is making me day dream everyday. In the loop area besides the four main lakes I heard there is some small lakes that you can hike to, anybody familiar?
Thanks again Bill

Flying
08-21-2008, 10:21 PM
I stayed at the Pines about 15 years ago. Not bad,just old. I remembered that the bed sucked but what motel has good beds anyway. Its right in the village so you can walk to the little market or Tiger bar and grill.

DO NOT eat at the Alpine Deli and Pizza in the village. If you want to eat out nice one night I highly recommend the Carson Peak Inn. Its on the way to Silver lake.

Theres a billion+ lakes through out the sierras. In the loop theres Agnew and its cluster of lakes which I hear is a steep hard hike. Do a search for "Agnew" as it was discussed earlier this year.

I've done Parker which is above Grant. It is doable for the non experienced or unprepared hiker(like myself). Thats the only one I've ever hiked into.

billy b
08-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Carson Peak Inn ... is the bomb. Filet Mignon ... bottle of Merlot ... ZZZZ all night!

Been ordering Filet Mignon there since 1969 ... will be there in a couple of weeks. We're staying at the Doulble Eagle (I know ... but it's my wife's anniversary)

Will fish June and would like some pointers on the rest of the loop. If I troll Grant I should come back up towards rush? What about down at the other end around the point.

How do you get out in a boat at Silver? Do you do a running push and jump in? Obviously never fished there.

Gull is one I'm counting on ... trolling or soaking and casting?

Thanks.

golfish
08-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Double haul tournament has been canceled this year.

Well, that's good news...kind of changes things for me.

Big Country
08-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Sounds like you are already booked up, but a place that should never be overlooked up there is Reverse Creek Lodge. They have large A-frames and also tiny single and 2 bedroom bungalows at a reasonable rate.

The family is awesome and they have like 14 kids. Everyone is home-schooled and I believe their 2 oldest children current attend Stanford on academic scholarships. A very interesting family to say the least.

Badfish2
08-27-2008, 04:04 AM
don't forget to post up a report when you get back

bstolton
09-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Hey everyone leaving saturday morning, can`t wait. Hoping you guys can give me some tips on best areas for shore fishing at June, Gull and Silver lake. We are also thinking about heading to Convict and Rock Creek lake one day. Heard that it can get pretty windy at Convict, is early morning the best time to fish there? On the June lake loop can you drive to Parker lake or is that hike in only or both, how far is the hike and whats it like there. I`ll post pictures and a report when I get back.

Thanks Bill