PDA

View Full Version : intake 2, lake sabrina, rock creek lake, 5/24-5/26

mr. trout
05-27-2007, 09:22 AM
5/24 went up for my 2nd trip this year thuresday to beat the crowds, stayed in a little motel in bishop and fished intake 2 thuresday night when we got there at about 5:00. we were 1 of only about three anglers there. right away the hit was on and we coulndt stop catching fish. we caught 23 fish in about an hour and a half. most on salmon eggs.

5/25 headed back up to intake around 6:00 and it was a bit aslow we only caught 8 in 2 hours a couple 1 1/2 pounders but nothing bigger. wanting to try something new we drove up to sabrina and decided to take the 1 1/2 mile hike to the back of the lake to fish the inlet. its truely beautiful. the inlet was too crowded so we fished from a point close to it. we fished from about 9:00 to 11:30. we caught ten fish, 5 on powerbait, 4 on a super duper 503 an 1 on a red gold thomas bouyant. we caught 5 rainbows, 3 wild rainbows and 2 brookies my first brookies. on the hike back we were walking along the shore when we saw about a ten pound brown cruising the shoreline we would have tried to get in but our poles werent rigged ang we were in a hurry. friday night we went up to rock creek lake do do some evening fishing and got skunked for about an hour. it was crowded and i didnt see one person catch a fish.

5/26 we rented a boat at rock creek lake and got out on the water at about 6:45. it was beyond slow at first , although fish were jumping on the water like crazy, i decided to try a fly and bubble combo with a nymph and got 2 fish. we it got a little warmer and fish werent jumping, we decided to troll we trolled a red gold thomas bouyant and a fre dot frog needlefish and got two on each.

overall i had a good time and we caught a lot of fish, (i caught more than my dad). i was a little mad at how we did at rock creek lake, i still havent really figured that lake out. does anybody have any suggestions on how and where to fish there? anyway a great trip and i cant wait to get back up there.

madhatter
05-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Cool report! Congratulations on catching so many fish! I'm envious because work denied my request for vacation, so my June 4-8 Sierra trip is washed out. Glah. Time for a new job!

As for Rock Creek Lake, I have the most fun fishing the inlet and hiking up the creek. I've gotten some nice rainbows and brookies out of there, as well as where it feeds into the lake. It's quite a maze of water and mush back there, though, and when I went in August, I was eaten alive by skeeters. Deet didn't even seem to repel them.
Another fun thing to do is hike up the Little Lakes Valley trail and fish where the stream runs out of Mack Lake. It's a great place with great views and great fishing.

paigow276
05-27-2007, 07:51 PM
I have watched flyfisherman slaying fish at Rock Creek Lake when nobody else could get anything. They were on float tubes. The usually come through in the afternoon. I have tried a few flies behind the bubble for a few fish but I have watched fly guys catching when I would have sworn the fish were not there.