PDA

View Full Version : Fishing and Camping Eastern Sierra 2nd Weekend of October - Recommendations?

patusc55
08-18-2008, 12:47 PM
I'll be there the 2nd weekend of October for three days of fishing and camping. My wife and young son will be along as well as some other friends. Recommendations please on a nice campground, (showers for the womenfolk), and places you would want to fish. Also, what gear would you use for going after big brownies? Thanks for your info...I'll report back then.

Devious 1
08-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Things start to get chilly come October and ironically most of the campgrounds near showers are at higher elevations (Mammoth Twin Lakes, Lake Mary, Rock Creek, etc). Your best bet that time of year for big browns and showers for the wifie is staying at the Upper Twin in Bridgeport. Bridgeport is at a reasonable elevation so it doesnt' get as cold, there are ample showers and clean facilites for the most part, and you are looking at some of the best opportunities for Big Browns that you can find in the Eastern Sierras. As the water cools and the crowds disapate, the Browns start to go on the chew. Early October might still be too early depending on how hot it gets over the next few weeks but if everything works out for you I would rent a boat (assuming you don't have your own) and get your trolling gear ready. The guides up there will use big Rapalas (size 11,13,etc) and stand up in their boats and work the lure back and forth while they are trolling. It is quite a site to see and laborious at that but can also be very rewarding! Good luck and tight lines!
D1

Badfish2
08-18-2008, 07:10 PM
If you're going for browns, fish late in the day.. and use only big lures. Rapalas CD 6-9 ..or rainbow pattern Thomas Bouyants will also get you hooked up on browns. If you're comfortable with them, try using flies. Hit up local fly shops..."The trout fly" is excellent for this type of fishing and they're right there in Mammoth. Nightcrawlers fished shallow with short leaders is also a way to get browns to strike. ... also late in the day