PDA

View Full Version : Dodo trip turns into a spottie trip....>:/

Greg Madrigal
08-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Got up at the butt-*** crack of dawn (3:00am) to pick up my nephew scotto and Bro-in-law Paul for a dodo trip outside Newport today. The boating Gods had other plans tho. Ny engine has been bogging for a while now steadily getting worse. Finally, on my last trip a month ago, I couldn't get the RPM over 2500 (8mph!) So I took her in to John Custom Marine in Stanton. They said it was water in the fuel from ??????

I changed the fuel filter and cleaned out the one inside the cowling and thought that it worked.....I was wrong. Kinda sucks that there is no way to "test" a boat w/o launching eh? We couldn't even make it to plane. Grrrrr.....

Anyways, so we decided 2 make the best of things and pic of some bay fish. Fourth or fifth cast at the PCH produces my PB spottie! Got her on a 6lb spinning outfit and a 5" Gulp! Jerkshad in Nuclear Chicken color. Fought like a champ too! :clap: This was the only saving grace for me today.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l191/gregmadrigal/P8163243.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l191/gregmadrigal/P8163244.jpg
We headed out the harbor a bit to see if we could get on one of the 3 B's. Only got the mack attack. It was a gorgeaus day out there today tho. Best conditions I saw all year. Wind did start to pick up around 10:30. I was off the water by 11:00 so, I'm not sure how bad it got.

Back 2 square 1 on the boat. I tried raising the engine out of the water and she screamed to 6000RPM instantly. Put it back in the H2O and it was back to 2500. I have NO IDEA what the problem is. Any ideas? She's a 2007 Yami 115 with about 50 hours. Thinking about dumping all 26 gallons of fuel.

GM<><

supasportkid
08-17-2008, 11:27 PM
atleast you got in on some action, sorry to hear about the boat tho

Troutman65
08-18-2008, 12:04 AM
WTG on making the best out of a bad situation.:Cool: Congrats on your spottie. Hope you get it fixed soon so you can get back to fishing .

vince champion
08-18-2008, 12:35 AM
sorry to hear about your motor and Congrats on your pb. I am no pro but sounds like a fuel problem. the bogging at higher rpm is lack of fuel. When you are capable of running the rpm higher then 2500 when motor is off water is because theres no pressure/weight on the motor isnt run as hard which require less fuel. Thats just my opinion. Again i am no pro and congrats!

one_leg
08-18-2008, 12:37 AM
Maybe your hamster is worn out?

Nice spottie Greg. They pull hard too!!! You'll get some Dodo's from your boat soon.

O_L

troutdog
08-18-2008, 01:26 AM
Sorry to hear about the boat issues Capt Madgi, way to make the best of it and get some fish! See ya soon "G".

TD

seahonk
08-18-2008, 03:16 AM
Greg did you check your primer bulb ? you know that black round thing thats in between the fuel tank and the motor , well its alittle too late to do the test now , But lets say if your on the water and you try to get on plane and it boggs out , Have someone squeeze the bulb while your trying to get on plane if it does it's either your primer bulb or your fuel pumps , hope this helps . :Thumbs Up:

Fish Dog
08-18-2008, 07:26 AM
Many years ago I had a similar problem with my dad's boat. A friend and I borrowed it to go to the Salton Sea for a couple days, (That was back when there was still fish in there). We got down there and put the boat in and started out. The boat's RMP's started to slow down and we couldn't figure out what was wrong so we turned around and started back. The boat went slower and slower until we were about 300 yards from the little marina / campground we were staying at and it quit all together. My friend had to jump in and tow us into the marina by swimming in. Since there wasn't a lot to do there without a boat we loaded it up and went home. When we got home we told my dad when happened. He came out and looked at the boat, reached over and plugged the fuel line the rest of the way in, shook his head and went back into the house, didn't say a word, I(he didn't have to, LOL). I'm sure you've checked something like this if its happened more then once though. I'm thinking it might be a problem with the lower unit if it makes 6000 rpm out of the water but not when you put a load on it in the water. Will it make 6000 if you take it our of gear and rev it up when its in the water? You might try another mechanic. Kenny at Tradewinds in Costa Mesa does a good job, 949 631-7334. BTW, nice "save" on the trip...at least you got to bend some rods.

deanhall32
08-18-2008, 07:26 AM
Had a similar situation about 15 years ago on a Mercury 100 outboard. It was new and when I took it back to the dealer they discovered that the carberator had worked itself loose and was not fastened downed correctly. Not sure if that would be the case on a 4 stroke.

chris
08-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Had a similar situation about 15 years ago on a Mercury 100 outboard. It was new and when I took it back to the dealer they discovered that the carberator had worked itself loose and was not fastened downed correctly. Not sure if that would be the case on a 4 stroke.

don't know if they use carbs anymore most engines are fuel injected.

Greg did you try changing the water/fuel seperator? Once that fills up it will bog your boat out and there could potentially still be water in the tank. Once before i had a fuel tank that corroded inside and the rust flaking off would continously clog the filters giving me mere hours of boating time bfore i had to clean the filters, eventually we cut the tank out and replaced and it stills runs great.

if you think it's possibly to much water in the tank you could use water remover before you dump all the fuel.

to check the fuel pump you could pre mix and plug into a seperate tank and see if it'll run that way and pump the ball as it dies if it keeps it going it could be the fuel pump

my friends dad bought a 08 merc 150 optimax it has less than 8 hours on it and has the same damn problem. but i'm sure his is the tank. the first thing i checked on my new ride was if it had an easy to get to and replace tank. it had allready been done and had a 50 gallon plastic tank in there.

i hope you get everything going again and if you need a buddy boat when you get back on the water let me know

sonarbp
08-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Hey nice report. Sorry to hear about your boat issue!!! Kinda sucks!! I am no boat mechanic but maybe you spun your prop. The prop will spin at full rpm out of the water but when a load is on it you will lose all the torque. Might want to give it a look.

sonarbp

JapanRon
08-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Hi Greg Madregal,

Good fishing, Good wrenching, Good report and pics !!

thanks,

JapanRon

JT FISHJUNKY
08-18-2008, 01:38 PM
If it is a 4 stroke check the oil level.

TroutOnly
08-18-2008, 07:19 PM
HEY YOU FRICKIN LURKER ,NICE TO SEE YOU POSTING GREG,,,,,t/o

steve092
08-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Sucks about the boat.

But good job catching a fish.

Beeracuda211
08-20-2008, 04:06 PM
You see Greg, this is why I don't fish with you anymore... LOL Just messing with you man.. I would die to be out there with you right now.. It looks like you could use someone to make you laugh out there as well, you don't look so happy my friend... LOL... You still go out on the weekdays after work?? I need some wet line time... over and out Gungho Greg

B/C

BIGRED KILLA
08-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Hey Cuda soon you will have twins and no more fishing for you lol donate your boat to me Cuda i will put blood on her not dust like what you do and i will make that lawnmower engine roar like she never roared before lol...Hey Greg to bad about the engine at least you stuck it out there and nailed some spotties i hope it is a easy fix that you can do.......... Sign up for the legends Greg and Cuda.

Bigred Killa