PDA

View Full Version : slow day at Huntington Beach Pier. bendo and myself once again

rcfb73
08-17-2008, 10:10 PM
get to the pier around 7:30....one of the first things out of my mouth to patrick were "today, something big is gona happen cause i forgot my camera" proved partially right.

not much to report.

SLOWW day...alotta sardines around...so there was a lot of bait, just nothing biting...

we both got hit HARD on the the halibut rigs at different times throughout the day... took about half the spool off both of our cardiffs. couple runs here and there....some guy pulled up about a 3 foot leopard which was cool to see.

at some point during the day patrick got this hali...didnt take a measurement cause it was a shorty.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/rcfb73/pathali.jpg

waited around for a bit for nothin to show. noticed some bonito bustin baitballs so we started throwin chrome jigs and little feathers at them, they only wanted to play once...i got about a 12 inch bonito on the sabiki. no pic.

around 7 oclock i tell myeslf about another hour and im probably gonna headout. about 15 mins later my 10 foot spinning surf rod starts buzzin a little bit...i figured it was just the current cause it was getting windy at night. i go over and check it and reel in the slack..but it keeps pulling...i tighten my drag, reel down, set the hook, then BAMMM get taken for a ride up and down the pier.. took me from about the bathrooms by the pier, to behind rubys diner, (if your not familiar with the pier...use the picture of patrick and the hali for reference) and back and forth along the end of the pier.. took about 20 mins to bring this badboy to the surface and able to bring it up...thanks for the great net job patrick...

and on the hook was a this 45-50 lb batray. my first bigger pier fish...on 15 pound test to boot. :Bug Eyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/rcfb73/batray1.jpg

sorry for the blury pic...like i said i forgot my camera and and all i had was my cellphone.

that was it for the night...stayed for another hour or so, talked fishing with one of patricks friends, then called it a night.

although the slow action, id trade it for one good run like i had anyday... definately got the heart going...and the huge audience kinda added to the excietment

see you all at legends!

-Steve

Badfish2
08-17-2008, 10:37 PM
damn, looks like you had quite the audience after catching it. Noice

Troutman65
08-17-2008, 11:25 PM
Nice job out at HB.pier. Thanks for the report.:Big Grin: You take that ray home and grill it up? Tasty on the BBQ.

one_leg
08-18-2008, 01:30 AM
Way to go on the Brown Fin Tuna!!!

You need to catch a Hali that big now.

O_L

flyngby
08-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks for posting a slow report. Not all trips go as planned and we have to sit or stand with patients for the next or only bite.

Way to avoid the dreaded skunk and a nice Bat like that will always make your day with the fight. I have yet to get one on the piers but have hooked into some medium sized of the wing variety in NPH!!!!!

Thanks for the picks and post!!

Steve

steve092
08-21-2008, 05:23 AM
Nice job on that bat ray!