PDA

View Full Version : Trinity River??

fishsteelhead
08-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Little early for the post but, am headin' up in October ta' visit family and the Trinity, sewwww just wonderin' if anyone has patronized it lately ie., specifically Chinook? Will be givin' it a shot with the son n' law and then more than likely head over the hill to the Mad. Pre-thanks in order and Tight Lines ;)...
< ' ( (( > <

inthroughtheocean
08-22-2008, 07:02 PM
been spending my summer vacation up here. things are kinda slow but better than normal (for summer). ive caught a few half pounders and one 6 lb steelie. also, caught two 1 lb chinooks to my surprise. didnt think salmon that size/age where in the river. shouldnt they be at sea? ive had the best luck w/ blue fox spinners. oh, also i was down at greys falls and saw a huge steelhead. at least 20lbs....at least. looked like a bull. but yea, my guess is the fall run should be pretty amazing. to top it off, its been a real mild summer and seems like things are more greener than normal. good luck!

p.s. ive been doing most of my fishing around willow creek. also, isnt the mad closed to salmon fishing right now?

bsp
08-22-2008, 07:38 PM
You guys do know that salmon are a protected species that you CANNOT target or keep in California... right?

Ronira
08-22-2008, 07:38 PM
I thought all Salmon fishing was closed up there. Let a guy know if they're letting you fish.

Badfish2
08-23-2008, 08:56 AM
Yeah, check with DFG on the salmon. I'm pretty sure it's outlawed in Cali. But, Trinitiy river is some of the most beautiful area in the Country to fish. Post up pics when you get back .

chris
08-23-2008, 10:41 AM
california salmon season is closed. they share the same water as the steelies and bycatch must be released unharmed. don't post pics of yourself this year with salmon for your own good

calico killer kevin
08-24-2008, 02:17 AM
How to get out of the salmon fishing situation:

DFG: Sir, you realize that salmon fishing this year has been closed.
You: Of course I do. Don't worry I hate salmon, but they seem to keep biting my STEELHEAD lures...
DFG: Okay, as long as you're not TARGETING them you're okay.
You: Thank you officer, have a nice day.

You should try it. Good luck.

bsp
08-25-2008, 11:19 AM
The problem with the above excuse is that once you catch more than one salmon (a protected species) with a certain type of bait/lure, you have to leave that area. The DFG logic will say, "you know that the salmon are biting whatever lure/bait you are using, you know that they are in the area, you know that they are protected, and yet you are still fishing in the area that they are in with the lure/bait that is catching them. I am sorry, but it appears that you are targeting them."
Wingnut has a really good explanation of this in the report where he caught several salmon.

Badfish2
08-26-2008, 02:34 AM
The problem with the above excuse is that once you catch more than one salmon (a protected species) with a certain type of bait/lure, you have to leave that area. The DFG logic will say, "you know that the salmon are biting whatever lure/bait you are using, you know that they are in the area, you know that they are protected, and yet you are still fishing in the area that they are in with the lure/bait that is catching them. I am sorry, but it appears that you are targeting them."
Wingnut has a really good explanation of this in the report where he caught several salmon.

exactly, and on top of that.. all it takes is a DFG warden to know you're full of it and write you a fat ticket anyway, Trust me the judge won't listen to you or your BS excuse

inthroughtheocean
09-11-2008, 03:21 PM
the trinity and the klamath are the only rivers open to salmon fishing this year in ca. (also, no ocean salmon fishing is allowed as well)