PDA

View Full Version : Porta Bote

Koshaw
08-16-2008, 02:32 PM
I was curious as to how good they are.

I saw numerous reports etc. and they all say they are super...

Just wanted to see if anyone has tried them out...supposedly they are amazingly portable and durable

Any thoughts?

camrydad
08-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Not personally, but there are a couple of guys that I've seen at the local lake fish from one. They swear by it. I've seen them launch and then just pack it up in the bed of their truck and away they go. They've been using it for over a year now i would say. They fish a few nights a week during the summer.

Granny Fish
08-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Santa fe Eric has one. He seems to like it pretty well.

slief
08-17-2008, 10:27 AM
I have a 12' one.. Had it out once so far but it is heading to the Sierras next week for my annual 1 week fishing trip.

They are very portable. I have a 6HP Nissan 4 stroke. It was not very fast with me, my buddy and gear at 8MPH but it gets around pretty well. I rigged my GPS/Fish finder, a pair down riggers, 4 rod holders etc and everything just clamps on. Once it is set up, it is a fishing machine or so it looks. It is very stable on the water, but the softer floors take a bit of getting used to if you stand up. I am waiting on some roll up floor boards which will resolve the soft floors.

Bote takes me about 15 minutes to assemble and another 15 to add all the holders, riggers, gps etc.

I also have a 55# trolling motor for those lakes that only allow yaks and canoes.

I will be able to give more feedback after this trip as I will really get to know it better. We will be lake hopping and the plan is to put it up on the roof rack assembled but without all the gear. We will see how that goes. So far, its beats hauling my 20' Trophy to the lakes.. Nice not needing a trailer and the Trophy will remain my ocean boat and the Porta Bote will be my lake bote. Nothing like being able to launch almost anywhere..

I also have the wheels for it so you can roll it down to the water. My last use of them left me thinking they were a pain in the rear end but I have since learned that I had them way to close to the stern of the bote.. I think they will play nice this next time when I have them mounted in the right spot!

Hope that helps! I will post a full bote report when I get back from the trip on the 28th..

Scott

GeordyBass
08-17-2008, 11:49 AM
i've heard those things are excellent for fishing,,,stable and they are FAST!!!

Koshaw
08-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Very very neat! Thanks for the speedy responses all! =)

seahonk
08-18-2008, 02:11 AM
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiiIWDK1rVw porta boat the good ,,,,,,,, porta boat the bad =http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnYcxxmUiR0&feature=related:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

slief
08-18-2008, 08:28 AM
porta boat the bad =www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnYcxxmUiR0&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnYcxxmUiR0&feature=related):ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

:ROFL::ROFL:

Porta Bote the man eater!! Classic!

Matador1238
08-20-2008, 02:14 PM
I used to have one and i must say that it was a pain in the butt to assemble by myself. With two people....it was easier. If you dont plan to take it apart, then its not bad. Otherwise, it is such a hassle to put together. All the seats, motor and stuffs will take up all your truck space. Yeah...the floor is too soft to stand on.

slief
08-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Just got back from the sierras from my week long trip I take my dad on every year. The Porta Bote was killer! We left it on Silver lake all week as the fishing was killer but it performed like a champ! We fished on it every day for several hours trolling and drifting. We caught nearly 100 trout each on that thing. Possibly more as we stopped counting.

When it was time to leave today, it took us less that 15 minutes to break it down. Not including the down riggers, fish finder, folding seats etc that all clamp right on. That was another 10-15 minutes but no biggie. The 15 minutes did include: unassembling the bote and putting the folded bote into a custom surfboard bag that I had made as well as placing it on the roof of my Suburban. Before we left on the trip, I assembled the bote myself in about 15 minutes and had a friend help me put the assemble bote on my suburbans roof rack upside down so that it was easier once we got to our destination. We towed the burban behind my motorhome. I did take a test with the burban and assembled bote on the roof and it was just fine. I took it to the office via the frwy. I decided to fold it up on the way home so my dad could get the full picture and it was one less thing to do when I got home as I store it on a small rack from home depot attached to my garage ceiling.

I must say, I am very stoked on the porta bote. If you dont want to deal with a trailer, it is great and at its price, it cant be beat! I like the fact that I can put it on my roof unassembled or assembled. Makes it pretty convenient! Besides, if you dont mind a trailer, you can get one from Harbor freight for around $300!..

The fish finder, rod holders and right bait made it easy. I will post a report this weekend on the trip.. It was just plain awsome. Never caught so many fish.

That said.. I LOVE MY BOTE!!! Worth every dime and then some! You cant beat a boat that can be folded up (in 10 to 15 minutes if you have it down) as well as transported assembled upside down on a roof rack.

Matador1238,
Not sure if you used the wood spreader thing to assemble it, but I'm 5'6", 150 pounds, 39 years old, somewhat out of shape and it is no big deal for me to assemble myself. I will say that if it's cold out, it is more difficult to unfold as the the seams are more riggid. A second body can also be very helpful if they know what to do or in the way if they don't.

lalo56
08-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Hey koshaw if you are interested here is what i was sent, since i also was interested in getting one.

"Labor Day Sale"
Only available from Porta-Bote Direct
OFFER EXPIRES Monday September 1st 2008 at 5pm EST
800-400- 1540

With purchase of Porta-Bote receive: FREE OARS & LOCKS ($99 value), and
FREE SHIPPING in continental 48 states ($98 value).

PLUS AN ADDITIONAL $150 OFF SHOW PRICE !!
Ask about special "Delayed Delivery"
and "Layaway" plans
only from Porta-Bote Direct.
Order you Porta-Bote now, secure the special sale price, and delay shipment and payment to a later date. Call for details
800-400-1540
Offer expires Sept 1st 2008 5pm EST. offer #8636-090108
Offer valid only in lower 48 states and Hawaii.
All boats are brand new with full warranty shipped directly from Porta-Bote International.
size list price show price PB Direct Price
8'6" $1895 $1349 $1199
10'8" $1945 $1499 $1349
12'6" $1995 $1599 $1449
14' $2395 $1859 $1709
shipping - Continental 48 states $98 $98 FREE
shipping - Hawaii except remote islands $275 $275 $175
Porta-Bote Direct Accessory Pricing
(Accessories pricing only valid when ordered with a Porta-Bote. Free shipping on accessories when ordered with bote.)
800-400- 1540
accessories list price show price PB Direct Price
Porta-Dolly III $279 $199 $199
Bow Trolling Mount $79 $79 $79
Pair of Oars & Locks $159 $99 FREE (with bote)
Pair RV Mounts $209 $169 $169
Porta-Sunshade $239 $199 $199
2 Step EZ Boat Opener $36 free FREE (with bote)
Pair Car Top Straps $39 $39 $39
Sail Kit (10',12',14') $949 $849 $849

Call Ken Hoover
800-400- 1540
Offer expires Sept 1st 2008 5pm EST. offer #8636-090108
Offer valid only in lower 48 states and Hawaii.
OFFER EXPIRES Monday September 1st 2008 at 5pm EST
800-400- 1540

You can also schedule an appt to go look at it in the high desert before you make your mind.

Koshaw
09-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Thanks man :D

I will get one probably when I can afford it LOL

=)

studlyfisherman
09-11-2008, 02:34 PM
if you guys wana buy a used one let me know...im thinkin of gettin rid of mine because im movin away to college...its like a 89' or something but it still works like a champ...i have a new trolling motor and new battery and life vests and all the goods...ill let her go for a few hundred all set up...pm me if your interested...maybe like $400. just let me know. soon too! cause im bailin sunday but im sure we could arrange something.

HEMAN
09-11-2008, 02:45 PM
damn if i didn't just recently buy a boat.. i'd be interested in this porta boat..

Koshaw
09-11-2008, 02:59 PM
WOW I wish I had a few hundred :( right now...ya take payments hehehehe =)

WaterBound
09-12-2008, 09:11 PM
I have also been looking into this boat. There have been a lot of positive reviews. However a common complaint seems to be the strength of the transom. There was a revision in the transom with an additional bracket solving the problem. I wanted this boat for lake and offshore hooping. After talking with Sandy I have decided on the 14'. I was interested in the 12'6" model but Sandy said the 14' had additional bracing and was a more stable boat. I specifically asked him if I could make it to Catalina Island. He said like any boater you need to be aware of the weather but as long as your not overloaded it will make the trip in about 45 minutes to an hour with a 9.8horsepower outboard. He claimed that with one person you should do about 22-23mph and 17-18mph loaded. Supposedly Sandy has a lot of experience with the bote on the ocean. Some people also complain about the seats. Each seat is rated to 300lbs. I noticed they sell a swivel bracket for upright seats. I am kind of worried about the seat holding the weight of a bracket, upright seat and person. My friends use their porta bote for freshwater and have never had a puncture even after hitting many boulders and logs. I have to say looking at the pros vs cons this seems like a tight little package. Nice price considering the maintenance and portability. I do not have a huge V8 truck nor do I want to get a 20 horsepower and higher outboard. Logistically this bote is extremely efficient.
PORTA – BOTE
Manteca Factory Showroom
Mervin & Gloria Gray
(209) 239-1012
Cell (209) 612-8404
Email: gloria.gray@comcast.net

‘2008 PORTA-BOTE PRICING’
….Prices will increase slightly on 10/01/08….
Factory Direct

*$1,349 8’ Porta-Bote
*$1,499 10’ Porta-Bote
*$1,599 12’ Porta-Bote
*$1,859 14’ Porta-Bote

$ 199 Porta-Dolly II (Wheels)
$ 79 Bow Trolling Mount
FREE w/Boat Order Pair Oars+Locks (Deluxe)
$ 169 Pair RV Mounts
$ 199 Porta-Sunshade
$ 39 Pair Car Top Straps
$ 849 Sailkit (For 10’-12’-14’)

OUTBOARD ENGINES
$ 825 2.0 HP-4 Stroke Nissan
$ 925 3.5 HP-4 Stroke Nissan
$1,070 4.0 HP-4 Stroke Nissan
$1,235 5.0 HP-4 Stroke Nissan
$1,365 6.0 HP-4 Stroke Nissan
$1,655 8.0 HP-4 Stroke Nissan
$1,795 9.8 HP-4 Stroke Nissan

We have all four sizes and colors (Aluminum, Pearl White and Olive Drab Green) of the Porta-Botes in our Manteca Showroom for you to view – feel free to give us a call if you would like to stop by. We look forward to answering any questions you may have; either at our showroom or by telephone. We can ship your Porta-Bote direct to your home.

Happy Boating!!

sansou
09-12-2008, 09:26 PM
I can vouch for their durability. They are tough as heck and they are easily transportable. I've had it assembled and shoved in the back of a pickup with the *** hanging out, and they are also easy to put (when folded) on top of an SUV. I will caution you that they are a bit heavy, so if you are doing this solo, make sure you get the dolly.

I did have to cut some new boards as they get warped after a while, but it's not a big deal at all. I'm a fatso, and trust me when I tell you the boat can handle a couple fat guys no problem (I have the 14'). The bottom does bow a bit, but once you get over that fact, it's smooth sailing.

Despite all this, mine sits in my garage gathering dust cause I'm laaaazy. I will put it together, take pics and put her up for sale here as you guys seem interested.

Santa Fe Eric
09-12-2008, 10:38 PM
1 Big Guy in Portabote- I put it in the Bay often- Lovin' it!
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk176/Santafeeric/IMG_0801.jpg

2 Guys in Portabote 12 footer
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk176/Santafeeric/IMG_0805.jpg

Troutman65
09-13-2008, 12:16 AM
Eric, I have seen you in your Port-a Boat and I don't think another big guy lke me onboard would be all that safe. I think 1 big guy and 1 skinny guy it would be alright.:LOL::Wink:

Santa Fe Eric
09-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Eric, I have seen you in your Port-a Boat and I don't think another big guy lke me onboard would be all that safe. I think 1 big guy and 1 skinny guy it would be alright.:LOL::Wink:
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
So True! So True!

Koshaw
09-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Heh.

I am wondering if you can just put it on top of a regular car with a good rack...

as long its its stable and all yes?

GeordyBass
09-14-2008, 09:49 PM
yup it fits on top of any car roof...DUDE!!!!look at craigslist and search,,,palmdale,,,and there is a portabote for sale...1K with brand new motor dude and trailer!!!