PDA

View Full Version : The Tony Reyes

mstr fish
08-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Has anyone ever fished this boat from San Felie and in the Sea of Cortez? Experiances, thoughts, suggestions any pros and cons give it to me. Thanks.........................fish

PUDD MASTER BAITER
08-16-2008, 07:37 AM
I went about 10 yrs ago. They have a large boat for 18 people plus the crew. They drag 6 pungas. We had a blast. We went down to bahia de los angeles. We slayed the yellow tail, and dorado. In the eveing i would fish in the bays, we anchored for the night, and caught tons of cabrillo(bass) on plastics. Almost every cast. I lost a monster grouper. It was an experance of a life time . Back then it was only $600.00 for, 7 days meals included. Tips not included.they actually have a fenced in compound they park your cars in for secuity.. Good luck ....mike the pmb....

FISHINGBEE
08-16-2008, 09:08 AM
I went about 10 yrs ago. They have a large boat for 18 people plus the crew. They drag 6 pungas. We had a blast. We went down to bahia de los angeles. We slayed the yellow tail, and dorado. In the eveing i would fish in the bays, we anchored for the night, and caught tons of cabrillo(bass) on plastics. Almost every cast. I lost a monster grouper. It was an experance of a life time . Back then it was only $600.00 for, 7 days meals included. Tips not included.they actually have a fenced in compound they park your cars in for secuity.. Good luck ....mike the pmb....Thats all true I did get one of those Grouper. Its insane you drop a SkipJack down with a huge gaff sized hook. Large sinker for strong tides. At least 125Lb test. I did it with a Penn Senator with drag tightend down with pliers. No drag if you do not get these brutes off the bottom fast your rockd every time. It took me 18 hook ups to finally get one. He was only an 83 lb Grouper. The crew will make you eat a beating grouper heart if you get one. For months i had grouper everything for meals even grouper spaghetti. It is very hot out 112 degrees the yellowtails are deep. There is a bunch of Small grouper and yellowtails on the surface so bring a light rig to have fun with these fish when Mother ship is anchored. The come to the boat some species are Spotted Bass, Small Yellowtails they use for great grouper bait. Sheephead and lots of trigger fish. Bring lots of Heavy Irons for deep water for Yellows. Dorado are on surface a little off shore with skipjack and we got a suprise black marlin. Three to a Panga and a guide will take you out fishing. I had most fun fishing the Cabrillo on the jigs waiting for a grouper. Bring fans and extension cords for your bunk area on the mother ship. One of the dudes was an electicion so he hooked us up i had two fans one behind me one in the front. You will be miserable if you do not bring them. Ice chest for binging fish home. Long hot trip back lots of ice is needed. Careful with the sun screen it will sweat right into your eyes and burns like hell. Beer goes like crazy we paid a certain price and you can drink as much Corona, Tecate, Dos E, Pacifico as possible we ran out 6th day. One guy was smart and brought a cooler of Coors. You sweat like hell and all my shirts were yellow when i got home. As for taking a wiz not to much cuz you sweat all day. If you have sharp teeth and bite your line hope no Jelly fish gel is on line. I did this it felt like someone stuck a pepper on my lips for a couple of hours. You will need steal leaders. If you have to go to the restroom on a panga the guide will tell you. Senor jump in the water turn your butt with the tide . Squeeze like hell and swimm like hell when finished. On the trip there ride in a Pack one car is bad news. The banditos will try and rob you unless you have a group of people. They put tin cans on the road that look kindof like a flair when light up. The banditos will make a road block and do not stop. As for San Felipe the town you will have some time to look around. The hookers can pick pocket you in a heart beat. Even if your not interested they will persue you in hopes of a wallet full of money. At least one guy in the group will fall for this. When i was there the bars were not airconditioned it can still be over a hundred deg late at night. The taco stands on the street air ok but you have a choice if goat or cat. I made sure i had the goat. Hope this helps be careful in another country remember you are an American probaby with money. All the hungry people zone in on you quickly.

FISHINGBEE

PUDD MASTER BAITER
08-16-2008, 09:24 AM
This is all true. When i took out my plastic swim tail. The guides were rolling with laughter. I soon saw why. The triggers would eat the plastic right off. You would get nothing but a bare jig head. It is hot there . Take a snorkel ,and fins, so you can relax, and check it out. The fish are awsome and its a good way to stay cool.

FISHINGBEE
08-16-2008, 09:52 AM
This is all true. When i took out my plastic swim tail. The guides were rolling with laughter. I soon saw why. The triggers would eat the plastic right off. You would get nothing but a bare jig head. It is hot there . Take a snorkel ,and fins, so you can relax, and check it out. The fish are awsome and its a good way to stay cool.Beware if you snorkel jelly fish slime gets on your skin it stings like hell, Cannot see it in the water. I jumped off the top of the Mother ship and i was lucky enough to see a flaoting brown trout go by after a quick flush of the toilet.

FISHINGBEE

Team_Strike
08-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Been going for the past three 3yrs, Trip of a life time, Cost me about $1,200 just for the trip. Caught HUGE Grouper! took 3 guys to reel in a 85 pound Grouper! *good times*
If i were you i would take LOTS AND LOTS of Mirror Lures, at least 3 of each color, Seriously. Guys were willing to buy them off me for 40 bucks a piece. Hottest color to use is Pink, then Purple and Orange.
Everytime we put these in the water BAM! No joke, i had to reel my trolling rig in just to take a break!
Word to the wise, take care of the Staff and they will take care of you! We brought extra sweaters and jackets and shoes, gave them to the deck hands. they were Stoked! after that they treat you like GOLD.
Also, in the morning be one of the first ones to go out in the Pongas so you get more Live bait, (2 or more Scoops) if you one of the last ones, you be luck to get one full scoop. we were one of the last boats to go out one day, and we went thru bait in the first 2 hrs, we had to make our own bait.
Good luck on the trip!

mstr fish
08-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks guys for all your responses. I actullay have a friend who has been going for a few years now. They are going next year(May) but its sold out. I am hoping that someone will drop so I can go. They do have a few openings on another trip but I would like to go with a couple of buds. Keep them coming........................fish

Team_Strike
08-26-2008, 02:54 PM
I go every May, 16th thru the 23rd.
thats the Best time i think, we reserve it a Year in advance, we have been going with the same 25+ guys every year!
kinda nice!

mstr fish
08-26-2008, 09:55 PM
I go every May, 16th thru the 23rd.
thats the Best time i think, we reserve it a Year in advance, we have been going with the same 25+ guys every year!
kinda nice!

Does this happen to be the cal star guys? Yeah I have heard that the openings go fast. Just talked to my friend again and he will be checking for an opening..........................fish