PDA

View Full Version : looking to camp

bigboom44
08-15-2008, 10:00 AM
hows it going everyone! i am looking to go to the eastern sierras this weekend. i want to take my wife and 3 year old girl. i want to get my little one into fishing. i need a place to stay possibly not with alot of bugs, and somewhere she wont get bored. any ideas? camping, cabin, etc... any help would be appreciated. thank you.

jwhealy
08-15-2008, 11:10 AM
The nicest place I know of for a family with small children is Rock Creek Lake Campgrounds. Large sandy beach, relatively shallow water, good swimming and good fishing. It is a "tents only" CG. Can't help you with the bugs, though. None last year, many this year.

Have fun,

JW

samgann93
08-15-2008, 12:10 PM
virginia lakes campround is very family friendly.
lots of fish for a 3-year old to catch.

big_mike_70
08-15-2008, 12:36 PM
rock creek is family friendly...many camp grounds...some creek side some lake side

no reservations....first come first serve...checkout time is around 1pm...get there early and wait till someone leaves and take there campground.

good bathrooms and beach area...camp host are very nice and helpful as well.

i was there last weekend and there were many many bugs....just that time of year...use DEET or keep covered

retired/lasd
08-15-2008, 02:51 PM
I would not camp at the lake at Rock Creek, it is asphalt camping and almost everyone is in a large RV. You would have alot of drive thru traffic. Check out the other campgrounds in Rock Creek, Big Meadow, Iris Meadow, East Fork, French Camp. I camp about 80-90 days per season in Rock Creek and the last place I would tent camp is at the lake. The campground at the lake has too much traffic, the ones lower down the canyon are much better.

sky
08-16-2008, 02:18 AM
Deleted info outdated

Dean Wormer
08-16-2008, 03:45 AM
With the little one and this being her first venture into the wild, I'd stay at one of the resorts that have cabins. More casual for everyone and pretty much as right out in nature as camping. :Fishing Hole:

The ones in the Mammoth Lakes Basin are, for the most part, 100 yards or so from the water. Woodslodge @ George.....Crstal Crag @ Mary.....Tamarack @ Twin and Wildyrie @ Mamie.

Rock Creek also has cabins, a cool store and tasty pies.

Convict Lake has cabins, a great restaurant, darn good fishin' and an unequaled view.

June Lake has cabins as well, as does the Virginia Lakes and Lundy Lake has camp huts.

All of these resorts are minutes away from boat rental facillities at their respective lakes and all are probably within a 45 minute drive of each other.

:Cool: Whatever you decide.....camping, cabining, condo-ing or even motelin'.....your daughter will remember the trip forever. (I wanna think that's possible when you're 3 years old!)

Have fun..... :Envious:

retired/lasd
08-16-2008, 06:40 AM
retired/lasd do they still have signs posted in the campgrounds along rock creek for hantavirus and bubonic plague which have been detected in fleas on squirels?

I haven't been to this place yet - but it looked really nice for a family outing from the photos of the FNN outing. http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp/parchers125.jpg (http://parchersresort.net/) Nice cabin rentals, a nice lake for fishing. They have a web link on the forum.

Here's the thread. http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=19694&highlight=parcher+resort

Yes the signs are posted in all of the campgrounds, they have been there for many years..

brn2fis
08-16-2008, 07:08 AM
I second Parchers Resort

bigboom44
08-16-2008, 08:50 AM
thank you for all the replys. i am sure that she will have fun.

Koshaw
08-16-2008, 12:18 PM
I loved Parcher's and the folx there are really kewl. Jared who runs the place with his family totally rocks.

=^^=

They are helpful, kind and knowlegable.

I would definitely go back once my finance are back in order.

=)