PDA

View Full Version : Poor Man's Tuna Fishing 8/14

MR. J
08-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Me and my brother boarded the Victory out of pierpoint today. I debated as to where to go: maybe head to the 619 or newport to get on the exotics? or stay local and attempt to catch whatever will bite. ultimately I decided to fish to stay local becuase I did not want to spend $95 plus $15 more for a mexican permit and also I did not want to risk not catching anything in search of dodos.

me and my brother arrived to the landing at 5 and seleced spots right oin the center of the stern. it would not matter that we had these spots. it was real light load today with 20 anglers. Anyways, Mike was the captain, Carl on Deck with Jonathan, and Ron in the galley. As usual they all did a great job. The plan for the day was to troll for some bonita and once we got hit we would hopefully get bit on bait if people were getting their baits immediately in the water, which was not the case for the most part.

right from the get go, we started trolling for bonito and the plan was to try it for a bit and if it did not work the plan was to head to the flats for sculpin and sand bass. In the morning we ended up with three bonita all on the trolling feathers. after not getting much after that we would just continue trolling until we got to the sculpin/sandie spot near the flats. we had live chovies with sardines mixed and thus it was pretty much the key to getting the sandies or sculpin to bite. by no means did we catch limits f sculpin but it was still decent. me and my brother went through numerous shorts i'd say we caught and realeased 15 each and we each caught 4. there were a couple sandies mized in but nothing spectacular.

oh yeah, before he headed down to the flats, we came across floating sand bass. According to mike, there was a boat out there with a long net scraping the bottom for sea cucumbers and in the process they picked up some sandies. that bnoat just dumped the sandies overboard and all they did was just float. carl and jonathan picked them up with nets and did not let them go to waste. its a damn shame that the boat would just do that.

at around 1 we got done with the sculpin and sandies and we started to troll again. this time around the bonito wanted to cooperate but we ran into a problem. if we did not real in fast enough the seals would get to them. as soon as we got fish on the troll we would get our baits into the water and hook up but if we could not real in fast, the seals would get them. it was unfortunate we could've picked up some good numbers on the bonita.

after trying for that, mike decided to head for the horseshoe and to hoefuly get away from the seals. we arrived there at 3. leacing with what we thought at the time, 30 minutes to fish. after about 2 moves we ran into some instense barracuda action and mike decided to stay until about 5:00pm. we did not get back to the docks until 6. the barracuda were being caught on flylined sardines and the iron. my brother decided to stay light and fly line. we kept getting bit and when it came to the boat, it would snap. it was a clean cut off, hooks were tied perfectly so tht wasn't it. they kept sawing him off and these were pretty big cuda. my brother ended up with 2. he probably could've caught two if he was fishing heavier line. i thre the iron for a couple shorts and 2 keepers. i suck at casting. i did not get it out far enough and i probably would've caught a ton too. it ok. i caught my share of barracuda and still have a lot in the freezer. i tried fly lining too but i only got one fish and it turned aout to be a juvenile white sea bass. about 17 inches. sorr no pics of that because i forgot my camera again.

all in all a good trip, slow in the morning but it really picked up in the afternoon and was surpriesd to see that mike decided to stay late to get some fish for the sacks that were not caught on the troll. i ended up with 2 cuda 4 sculpin, a rock sole, one calico, one bonita and a juvenile white see bass. my brother ended up with 2 cuda, 4 suclpin and a couple of bodyless bonita. as for the whole boat, i am not sure but i think everybody caught at least one of the targeted species today. i took pics of my fish my camera phone, so here they are. of course they're not the best quality:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/dbz724/Victory%20August%2014/SSPX0022.jpg
the wind blowing made me look wierd
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/dbz724/Victory%20August%2014/SSPX0019.jpg

ALSO, I AM HEADING OUT AGAIN ON THIS BOAT ON SUNDAY ONLY BECAUSE MY DAD WANTS TO FISH AND HE NEVER REALLY GETS TO BECAUSE HE WORKS DURING THE WEEK AND IS TOO BUSY ON WEEKENDS. HE IS PAYING FOR MY TICKET SO NATURALLY I'LL TAKE ON THE OFFER. ANYONE WANT TO JOIN? IF SO. I'LL SEE YOU THERE. UNLESS SOMETHING DRASTICALLY HAPPENS,

Jeff aka MR. J

soulsurfer
08-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Anyone who wears a JD tees is not weird !!!!! I don't care what anyone else said about you.....

Soul

supasportkid
08-14-2008, 11:23 PM
nice fish and report. yeah those seals took alot of cuda from us on wednesday.

Troutman65
08-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Nice report .Congrats on your catch

mickeysindahouse
08-15-2008, 12:06 AM
Cool deal. Nice mixed sack you picked up.

Headless cuda...How'd that happen?

sansou
08-15-2008, 12:49 AM
Congrats on your catch & good luck sunday. Kind of a bummer to hear about the local bottom scraping for sea slugs. Lot of sportfishable bycatch being disturbed.

MR. J
08-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Cool deal. Nice mixed sack you picked up.

Headless cuda...How'd that happen?

sorry. i meant bodyless and just the head. lol. i was too tired writing the report.

BIGRED KILLA
08-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the pics and report the Bonita is in the tuna family.

one_leg
08-15-2008, 03:26 PM
When it comes to fishing though, you just gotta be faster than the measly lil furbags, that't all.

I know, it's easier said than done.

Congrats to you all and thanks for the post.

O_L

Billy Bass
08-15-2008, 06:15 PM
It really sux about the bottom scrapers. They're allowed to rape, I mean scrape muddy bottom areas. This includes sand bass spawning areas, i.e. Huntington flats, and causes untold damage to fisherys.
:Evil::Evil::Evil::Evil::Evil: