PDA

View Full Version : Heading up to The Sierras 8/22-8/25

D@FFY
08-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Me and a couple buddies are heading up to the "mammoth area" for some good 'ole backpacking/camping and lets not forget the fishing.

As I've never been up there before (drove through Yosemite with my parents when I was like 5... Doesn't count), I was wondering if any of you would like to share some tips with me.

Basically I'm trying to see if theres anything I'm missing and maybe get a list together of the MUST-SEE places (we're probably going to stop at mono-lake as well as the Devil's Postpile, etc). I'm bringing my camera and will make a mega-report when I get back on Monday or Tuesday depending on what everyone decides.

I've already got the Basic stuff covered:

Firefly hiking backpack (got it at sport chalet for like 70 bucks, its awesome)

Compass/Whistle/Signal Mirror/Emergency Blanket

Survival Knife (Better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it.)

Alot of water and those little water purification tablets (just in case)

High-Carb snacks/Mini-Propane stove (for any keepers, we're mostly C&R except for bleeders)

Fishing Gear (not exactly sure what lures I should bring, I have a pretty good assortment for someone who doesn't get out to fish alot, I was hoping to pack light though, especially considering how much other crap I'm already bringing)

First Aid Kit

Tent/Sleeping Bag/Pad

Toiletries

DEET (2 cans of the higher concentration stuff)

Theres some more stuff that I cant remember right now. Any of you think I'm missing anything?

Also, we're probably gonna end up staying around "Mammoth Lakes", but I'm all for exploring, especially if its going to put us on some serious fish. I've been told if I go up there and just stay in the mammoth area and don't go to June Lake Loop, I'm really missing out. I'm starting to lean toward staying over at June Loop for the Majority of the time. You guys think this is a good idea or does it even matter?

One of the guys in my group has some pretty bad asthma, I've told him to bring 2 fresh inhalers just in case. Bearing this in mind, are there any "easy" hikes to lakes where we can catch some big-uns and still have a possibility of being the only ones there? He wheezes pretty bad just coming up the stairs to my house, lol.

Also, (and I promise this is the last question), I'm a Medical Marijuana Patient. Do any of you know which areas are on Federal Land vs. State-Owned Land (I know this is a pretty obscure question, any Jeopardy contestants reading this?)? I can't bring it onto Federal Land legally, and I really don't want to have to munch on Ibuprofen and muscle relaxers the whole time (I have severe acid reflux, Ibu's set it off something fierce). I've tried googling it but I'm not getting any useful results. I may have to make my straight-edge buddy drive and just medicate with a bunch of Jack Daniels or something, haha.

Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. =D

hughpam
08-14-2008, 08:31 PM
DEET recently tested as the worst bug repelant to use when fishing. The active ingredient stays in your skin for days, and the fish tested detected it for quite a distance. It was in BASS times last month or two months ago.

When I go I use a hat (like those wicker ones at Vons) and a mesh cover that tucks into my collar. I wear long sleeves and those dorky pants with the zip off legs and high shoes.

If you're using traditional tackle bring a panther martin in black, as small as you can. Bring a few of them. Also it's hard to beat a good old fashioned super-duper in there. I have had luck with a silver spoon there, too, but keep it small in the high country lakes.

If your fly fishing use crickets and elk hair caddis. They are also great to tie onto a fly and bubble rig if you don't fly fish. Use about a 5' leader in the clear lakes, and shorter in the moving rivers or big lakes.

Don't worry about the hikes for your buddy. I have caught fish in almost every stream or pond in the Sierras. The brookies are delicious!

Good luck! Lee Vining is one of the most beautiful places in CA!

Sparky70
08-15-2008, 12:55 AM
Stop by here, gimmie your HOOTERS and I will tell you where to fish in the MAMMOTH AREA.:Dead Horse::Dead Horse:

Badfish2
08-15-2008, 01:15 AM
Looks like you're missing flashlight on your list..and reliable fire source. Bring some Motorola 2 way radios if you have them. They come in handy up there when people get seperated. They work great. Skeeters were bad .. I was up there last weekend. My hands alone have at least 10 bites a piece, and that's BS about the DEET and fishing. I was swimming in Deet skeeter spray at Little Virginia and I caught over 30 fish in 2 hours

jeff4321
08-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Make sure you get mosquito repelent thats HIGHER than 40%, I went hiking and practically bathed myself in 40 and got eaten alive, I took out the 100% deet and they died as soon as they touched my skin. haha. If you do get 100% deet, make sure you keep it in a bag seperate from everything else, and DOUBLE BAG it, because it WILL mess everything up... get the 2 or 3 bottles of 100..only a little amount and they will stop biting..

D@FFY
08-15-2008, 09:34 AM
These are some great tips. I do have about 3 lanterns (battery powered, one can be "wound-up" if the batteries run out). That was one of the things I forgot to mention. Although a good 'ole flashlight is something I should probably get (can always use it to thump my buddy over the head when he does something stupid, I love multi-purpose items).

As far as flies/crickets, I've never fly fished, nor do I have a fly-fishing pole. All my rigs are light/UL with 2-4 lb test on spinning reels. I'd like to try fly fishing, as I've heard I'll probably never go back. How do you put a cricket on a hook without killing it? Or is it a type of lure or something and not an actual cricket (Yeah, I'm a total fly-noob).

There may be some validity to the DEET thing. The last few times we went to Corona/Irvine/SARL, we bathed in the stuff and NEVER even got a bite (on the lines I mean, we still got bit by the skeeters). I'd been chalking it up as bad luck, but it has been many times in a row now we've been skunked (one of the guys I'm taking has been fishing with me about 10 times now and the poor guy has never caught anything in his entire life, hard to get someone pumped up about fishing when they've never caught anything).

Have there been any reported West Nile Virus cases up there? All I hear about is Skeeter bites these days, lol. Anyways, we're all around 30 years old, so even if one of us did get west nile, the chances of it killing one of us are probably pretty slim I guess.

I'm also chain smoker, so I put on some rubber/neoprene gloves every time I bait a hook or tie on a new lure (I know for a fact they dont like the smell of burnt tobacco, and whatever other chemicals they're putting in my cigs these days, haha). Maybe I'll get all the rigs set up in the car before we spray down or something.

Badfish2
08-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Yeah, definitely bring some stront skeeter spray, and don't worry about it affecting your fish.. just don't get it on the finger tips you're going to be working with during your fishing. I've nevr caught any less than 50 trout during my sierra trips and I'm always covered in mesquito spray. Good luck on the trip

D@FFY
08-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Well it looks like one of my friends is too broke and the other is working on a project at work he cant pull himself away from. So I either have to postpone the trip or just go with my step-brother (he's only 16 and I cant exactly party around him).

=/

Anyways. When is the 1st snowfall around those parts usually? September or October? I'm in a Honda Civic, and I don't have (or want to have to mess with) snow chains. I hear its alot prettier up there in a couple weeks to a month anyways, right?

Badfish2
08-20-2008, 12:51 AM
Snow can fall in the sierra in August.. it was 36 degrees in Bodie last night... but all you have to do is monitor the weather .. storms coming off the pacific and you're good. You can go to www.accuweather.com and check out their pacific satellite shots to watch for incoming storms. If you have to plan it out, usually storms could drop a dusting by september, but definitely by October there will be parts of the sierra with some snow. I've rarely seen enough snow to ruin a trip clear until the closing on Oct 31st. In other words, you should be OK.

mth1997
08-20-2008, 01:35 AM
You're also gonna need a bear resistant canister for your food in most places in the Sierras. Food hanging is no longer an accepted method of preventing bears from getting to your food. If you don't have one you can borrow/rent one from the ranger station where you get your wilderness pass from. NEVER BRING FOOD INTO YOUR TENT, EVEN IF ITS IN A BEAR CANISTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (capitals and 15 !'s just to tell how important this is, sorry if this is common knowledge though).

Regarding your medicine, go with the Army's policy of 'don't ask, don't tell.'

And I HIGHLY suggest getting a water filter. I have packed water in and used a pump and I'll go with the pump every time if I have the choice.

Badfish2
08-20-2008, 03:13 AM
Good point, bears are active in the sierra this year.. I was at Convict a week ago and a bear was spotted there the lake trail just a few hours before I was there. Bear skat all over the place.. if you see berries on the trail or around you .. there's a good chance there's Deer and Bear in the area.

sky
08-20-2008, 04:32 AM
Deleted: Outdated info

Ronira
08-20-2008, 06:48 AM
Holy cow dawg, if your friend wheezes at sea level on your stairs I would be very cautious about being to far from medical help at altitude. Hope he's okay with pollen?

cjschock
08-20-2008, 12:37 PM
California mosquito flies and a bubble bobber are good choice and a gold super duper with the red tip.

D@FFY
08-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Hah, thanks for all the tips guys. You just can't get info like this on other sites <3

Anyways, as far as wildlife/wilderness safety, I know about as much as you can know, without a ton of practical experience (you know, living there =P). I'm all read up on that stuff. We did go camping alot when I was a kid, this'll just be the 1st time I'm the "responsible adult" <cringes at that phrase>. For instance, if you encounter a Bear, you're supposed to slap it in the face and run and find a Mountain Lion, then slap HIM in the face, then grab a rattlesnake and throw it at them while they're fighting over you. RIGHT? (lmao, kids, I'm just joking, dont try that)

Looks like my step-brother and 1 of my buddies are going. I think our main problem will be fitting everyone's stuff in my trunk and half of the backseat. I was never very good at Tetris, haha.

Anyways, I've gone and gotten some muscle relaxers for when we're all set up and ready to crash. Gonna leave my "medical" at home. It works much better than muscle relaxers, but not worth the hassle I'd get if stopped by any "federal people" with any sort of badge.

Final Itinerary:

Heading up laaate tomorrow night.

Saturday I want to spend alot of time being an annoying tourist, Mono, Devils Postpile, Lee Vining area, etc. Gonna get a ton of pics

Sat Evening/night through whenever we leave, walking/driving around the lakes and fishin our butts off =D, I promise to get a ton of pics, The problem will be picking out the good pics and hosting them (that can take hours on my old crappy set-up I have here).

Again, thanks for all the tips guys and gals.