PDA

View Full Version : Bait for halibut?

gavin310
08-13-2008, 09:10 AM
So I've been using only plastic recently, but last night I went on a first date with this girl and she said she wants to go surf fishing with me on Sunday! Yeah... I think I'm in love. I don't want to throw her out in the waves with plastic just yet, so what would you guys recommend for halibut off the sand? Squid? I'll probably stick a camo sand worm on there first so she can get excited about a perch, then we can switch to bait. I want to get a legal hali because she loves to cook, and it would be awesome if we could go home with a meal she could cook us :LOL:

bsp
08-13-2008, 09:16 AM
Legal halibut, (no matter how easy Wingnut makes it seem :EyePop:), are actually fairly hard to get out of the surf. You could try squid, anchovies, live perch, or sardines, but you would probably get a big leopard shark or bat ray fishing with bait. Dropshot some Zoom Flukes or throw a Lucky Craft Flash Minnow 110 instead of bait. You do not have to deal with the bait, and lures make it more likely that you will catch halibut.

gavin310
08-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Legal halibut, (no matter how easy Wingnut makes it seem :EyePop:), are actually fairly hard to get out of the surf. You could try squid, anchovies, live perch, or sardines, but you would probably get a big leopard shark or bat ray fishing with bait. Dropshot some Zoom Flukes or throw a Lucky Craft Flash Minnow 110 instead of bait. You do not have to deal with the bait, and lures make it more likely that you will catch halibut.

Yeah, I know it's not easy catching legal buts :LOL: I've been trying for a while now. Those Zoom Flukes look interesting. Are there any certain colors you've had luck with? Are they good by themselves or should I use some type of scent? Thanks for the info! Oh, and do you use the Zoom Flukes with a jig head or just by itself?

bsp
08-13-2008, 05:53 PM
I drop shot them with a 4/0 wide gap worm hook and a 3/8 oz weight. Any silvery baitfish looking colors work. Pro-Cure or Smelly Jelly can't hurt, the specific scent does not really matter. Try 3in Big hammer swimbaits with 1/4 oz lead heads too.

buttface
08-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Sabiki rig, loaf of bread catch some smelt.....

gavin310
08-14-2008, 04:48 PM
I think live bait might be too much for my date right now... I'll start with plastic and pre-killed bait :Smile:

LBSea
08-14-2008, 08:24 PM
SMELT fished on a Dropper Loop on Texas Rig!

calico killer kevin
08-14-2008, 11:35 PM
SMELT fished on a Dropper Loop on Texas Rig!
Why on a texas rig. Dropper loop i understand, but won't a texas rig just diminish the the point of live bait?

KID CREOLE
08-20-2008, 08:00 AM
Sabiki rig, loaf of bread catch some smelt.....

Bingo buttface!