PDA

View Full Version : hermosa pier 2 hours

trollmiester
08-13-2008, 07:31 AM
Arrived at eight at night for a good bite on mackrael for catfish bait.Tried to relax with the nice ocean breeze but it is so hard with lobster poachers every where. I counted 24 hoop nets. No one its not lobster season.No 2 even do no license is required on a public pier for fishing it is needed with a hoopnet fishing.Backpacks were full of knocking noises. Personaly saw one group with nine. They know its illegal and i till them every couple of days. Thats why they hide them in their backpacks.Never a lone person groups of 5 to seven.The minute the land hits the rail the other person grabs it and its sent into a waiting backpack.I told them how much the fine is and needing a license but they just stare.English is fine when they want to borrow some mackie or a knife.Well i am not a warden i just wont to fish.Dont say call 1800 calltip i have. So little resources with no money in the budget.I know people like to eat what they catch,thats fine but no lobster out of season and in season ok with gauge and liscense.

Troutman65
08-13-2008, 07:42 AM
I meet a Game warden at Irvine Lake. I told him about poaching in one area. He gave me his card to call him. I think he got transford to another area . It really angers me to hear about poaching. Thanks for the post. Maybe a game warden will read this on FNN and go out one night and bust them.

one_leg
08-13-2008, 08:02 AM
Sounds like what is needed is a lil STORMCROW action on the Hermosa Pier!!!

Glad you got into the macks though!

O_L

chris
08-13-2008, 08:31 AM
man thats B.S you should have snapped a couple pictures of them to post up then we could have got their faces in the public maybe another warden would pop up and recognise them from a previous violation. That schtuff upsets me to no end

one_leg
08-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Maybe I should go diving there?

If there lines were to get hung up on a rock or "something" they would almost certainly lose their nets.

Anyone wanna join me?

chris
08-13-2008, 08:44 AM

If there lines were to get hung up on a rock or "something" they would almost certainly lose their nets.

Anyone wanna join me?

alan change it to collecting nets and not tying them off and i'm in I need to get a couple sets for the new boat and some to sell the old boat with

gavin310
08-13-2008, 09:04 AM
That's a great idea ;) Maybe even tie some DFG violations to their nets...

Anyone wanna join me?

Simplyeman
08-13-2008, 10:27 AM
for as long as i remember there has been a problem with hermosa pier and people keeping a lot more then they should and also keeping undersized fish.

troutdog
08-13-2008, 12:03 PM
That type of information is a real inspiration to become a game warden! :Angry:Time to confiscate some gear and give out some fat tickets!

How many macks were you able to get? Gonna hafta join you out there next week before legendsII.

TD

FISHINGBEE
08-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Wheres the Warden when you need him? Im waiting for his picture to soon be posted.

FISHINGBEE

jerryG
08-17-2008, 07:41 PM
I meet a Game warden at Irvine Lake. I told him about poaching in one area. He gave me his card to call him. I think he got transford to another area . It really angers me to hear about poaching. Thanks for the post. Maybe a game warden will read this on FNN and go out one night and bust them.

I hope the warden you met at Irvine Lake was there fishing on his day off because Irvine is operated as a private fishing lake. Therefore I don't believe the DFG is required to provide enforcement and anglers would not be required to have a license to fish there however I may wrong about that. It would suck to find that the DFG would patrole a private fishing lake when you consider their limited resources atributed to their lack of presence in the field which has led us to the poaching situation that we have today being way out of hand at most fishing areas open to the public.

Jerryg

Troutman65
08-17-2008, 11:35 PM
I hope the warden you met at Irvine Lake was there fishing on his day off because Irvine is operated as a private fishing lake. Therefore I don't believe the DFG is required to provide enforcement and anglers would not be required to have a license to fish there however I may wrong about that. It would suck to find that the DFG would patrole a private fishing lake when you consider their limited resources atributed to their lack of presence in the field which has led us to the poaching situation that we have today being way out of hand at most fishing areas open to the public.

Jerryg

The Game Warden was to meet another Warden and thought it was at Irvine Lake. I said to the warden it must be at Irvine Park. People seem to get the two places mixed up more than one would think. I spoke to him for a few min. and he went on his way to Irvine Park.

CoffeaRobusta
08-18-2008, 07:24 AM
Dang that sux. I like to hoop net and even though it's not lobster season I will hoop for crabs. This is why I have avoided the piers lately, but if i want to hoop and don't have a boat you've got to go to the piers.

Don't get discouraged about Caltip, even though there aren't enough wardens, letting them know what's going on builds a history. It sounds like the guys you are dealing with might be organized, since you say they are in a group. Pretty sure that will get the attention of wardens after awhile.

CoffeaRobusta
08-18-2008, 07:28 AM

Jerryg

it really depends on what kind of private lake it is. There's the kind where they are basically fish farms and then no one needs a liscense, limits don't apply etc. I think irvine and santa ana are like that. (They do have to follow other dfg rules for aquaculture though). Then there are lakes like lake arrowhead. Private lake, bu one does require a liscense to fish it.

chrislxf
08-18-2008, 05:51 PM
are u sure that they were using the net for buggies? cause i always carry my hopnet when i fish there just so that I can release my heavier catch. i caught my share of the guitar fish last month and successfully practiced CPR with the help of the net. but if it's true that ppl. were poaching for the lobster, then that's say. it won't be long when there won't be anything but backwashed sewage in our piers and beaches.

i agree, we should take pictures of the poachers and get them exposed. got get em' guys.

DnYe
08-19-2008, 05:06 AM
[QUOTE=CoffeaRobusta;229029]Dang that sux. I like to hoop net and even though it's not lobster season I will hoop for crabs.

So what your saying is that if your hooping and manage to catch a 5lb. bug instead, your gonna toss it back? As for me, in all honesty, it'll be pretty tuff for me to throw it back... matter fact, I'd probably call it a day and be gone in 2 minutes. But thats just me being honest. I know, I know, I'm not going heaven. But I'm sure so wont alot others LOL.
Lates,
Shorty

Good Luck w/ those bugs...i mean crabs:Wink:...I dont wanna have to take your picture LOL:Big Grin:

CoffeaRobusta
08-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Dang that sux. I like to hoop net and even though it's not lobster season I will hoop for crabs.

So what your saying is that if your hooping and manage to catch a 5lb. bug instead, your gonna toss it back? As for me, in all honesty, it'll be pretty tuff for me to throw it back... matter fact, I'd probably call it a day and be gone in 2 minutes. But thats just me being honest. I know, I know, I'm not going heaven. But I'm sure so wont alot others LOL.
Lates,
Shorty

Good Luck w/ those bugs...i mean crabs:Wink:...I dont wanna have to take your picture LOL:Big Grin:

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. I don't keep short fish either. I understand the reason why we have these rules, and whole heartedly support them. I don't want to see fishing opportunities degrade for the next generation.

But then again, I often fish just to see what I can catch, not necessarily to land a meal. I do keep fish when the mood strikes me but only when it's legal. And I generally carry a reg book so that I know.

I don't know man. Thanks for being honest. Hell it's human nature really. At heart I think we are built to be selfish. And it's really difficult to see how the actions of one individual can effect thigns. But what I do gets multiplied if he does and she does and they do it and their brothers do it, etc. The sad thing about poaching and illegal fishing is that the people who do it get all the benefit (i.e. a tasty fish) BUT everybody shares the cost (degraded fishin). On the other hand if I do the right thing, I'll get little benefit because the benefit is shared by everyone. Then again, that's the definition of selfishlessness, no?

In the end, I'm emensely happy knowing that some little critter is back cruisin' the murky depths after sharing a little of his life with me. No the worse for the wear, but maybe a little wiser.

one_leg
08-19-2008, 02:54 PM
are u sure that they were using the net for buggies?

If Trolly says they are taking Bugs then they are taking bugs man!!! He ain't stoooopid. He knows what he is going on. They are like an organized gang. They know that what they are doing is illegal and that if they are caught they will be cited. They also know that the fine is not a minor thing. They are breaking the law and they are very careful not to leave evidence in plain sight. That is why they rush to their cars to stash the proof in a cooler so they cannot be busted for multiple offenses. If the DFG ran a sting there they would net a huge wad of cash for the tickets they would issue. Until they receive a number of complaints they might not think it is a major problem. Poaching hurts the fishery plain and simple. That is why there are limits and seasons. The people that are breaking the law don't care what time of year it is or how many bugs they take. And the more they get away with it the more emboldened they become.

O_L

flyngby
08-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Too bad for Hermosa Pier and all for that matter. The poachers seem to target them as no license is required for the fish but for the Crab and Bugs it is. The only ones who notice the poaching are the legal folks who are trying to keep their right to fish (Sometimes for free!!).

While many of us practice CPR and wonder if a bleeder will make it or not to be caught another day, others blatantly disobey the rules and ruin it for all of us that try to take care of the land and sea for our future generations!

At my favorite fishing hole the OC Sheriff and Harbor Patrol are doing a fantastic job of keeping most of the activity in line with the rules. Maybe the reason as I cruise from spot to spot I see so many public docks empty of the usual poachers that have frequented them in the past.

I am sure the Sherriff Dept. gets a cut of the fines they impose as their reason for the aggressiveness. And I have seen many other violations as in DUI Boat, Drugs and many others.
Maybe other cities that own the piers could provide the help to keep the poachers from ruining the experience for all of us!!!!!!!!!!!

On a good not for us Legal Folks.

Bug Season is approaching SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and don't forget to get the new required card to be LEGAL!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Troutman65
08-20-2008, 10:10 PM
If Trolly says they are taking Bugs then they are taking bugs man!!! He ain't stoooopid. He knows what he is going on. They are like an organized gang. They know that what they are doing is illegal and that if they are caught they will be cited. They also know that the fine is not a minor thing. They are breaking the law and they are very careful not to leave evidence in plain sight. That is why they rush to their cars to stash the proof in a cooler so they cannot be busted for multiple offenses. If the DFG ran a sting there they would net a huge wad of cash for the tickets they would issue. Until they receive a number of complaints they might not think it is a major problem. Poaching hurts the fishery plain and simple. That is why there are limits and seasons. The people that are breaking the law don't care what time of year it is or how many bugs they take. And the more they get away with it the more emboldened they become.

O_L

Very well said O_L.

chris
08-21-2008, 07:35 AM
Bug Season is approaching SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and don't forget to get the new required card to be LEGAL!!!!!!!!!

Steve

yes it is steve i can't wait

trollmiester
08-21-2008, 07:47 AM
It was slow last night ,real small mackies the size of dines.Hermosa pier.

Troutman65
08-21-2008, 09:00 AM
It was slow last night ,real small mackies the size of dines.Hermosa pier.

I would just cut those in half and fly line it .:Rolls Eyes: