PDA

View Full Version : WFO on Pelicans-My Grandkids

bruce watson
08-12-2008, 09:21 PM
I don't understand how a kid can be so excited about fishing the next day that they can't go to sleep the night before, then not be able to wake up in the morning. But I finally got my 7 year old Abby and 10 years old Carly out of bed by 7am. A quick change of clothes and they were back to sleep in the truck in 10 minutes.

We got down to Daveys launch by 8. BTW, here comes the 1st big warning. DAVEYS WILL BE CLOSED STARTING THIS THURSDAY THRU SUNDAY THE 17TH. Now for your second big warning. YOUR BOAT WILL SINK ON THE LAUNCH RAMP IF YOU FORGET TO PUT IN THE PLUG. Yea, I did it again. But at least I found out before I started the motor so I just jumped out of the boat and drove the truck back up the ramp. Here is warning three, WHILE ON A LAUNCH RAMP, ALWAYS JUMP OFF THE FRONT OF YOUR BOAT. tHE WATER AT THE STERN IS OVER YOUR HEAD. I'm pretty sure that this is going to be my last warning, BUY HATS THAT FLOAT, AND NOT WOOL ONES.

Now for the fishing. Got a 1/4 scoop of anchovies and headed for Chaffee Island. Got both girls in the water and in three minutes had a double hook up of small macs. Our day was going to be a success. For two hours we floated and picked up macks, tom cods, and lizard fish. I taught them how to use their conventional reels, bait hooks, and catch fish.

Me "What have you got? That's a Pelican."

Carly "I did it the way you said. I waited for it to take my bait, then I set the hook real good."

Me "Oh crap"

Carly "These fight better than the fish"

That bird was not very smart. I removed 4 hooks from his beak and a tied line from around his foot. Is my Grand Daughter the only one who knows how to set the drag for a Pelican?

Little Abbys turn. She hooks on to something big. Line peeling, but she takes care of it like a pro. 10 minutes later she has color. She starts screaming that she has a sea monster and shoves the rod into her sisters hand. 5 minutes later it comes to color again, Carly screams that it is a monster and gives me the rod. It is the biggest guitar fish I've ever seen. Another few minutes for grandpa and we have it on board. They did it with 6lb line. This is a fish that they'll talk about for a long, long time.

Weather was nice, took clothes two hours to dry. No wind. Got home by 2pm. Here are a few bendo action and trophy pics. Also the last shot shows what my 14 foot aluminum looks like on the inside. I've had a few people PM me lately since this time of the year I use it to chase Yellowtail.

one_leg
08-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Pretty cool pics. I wish I coulda been at the ramp though. :Big Grin:

Thanks for the report.

O_L

SanDimasLMB
08-12-2008, 09:39 PM
LOL, sea monster :ROFL:

Nice job taking the girls out! :Thumbs Up:

fish_sauce
08-12-2008, 09:44 PM
wow! :EyePop:

that looks awfully big for 6lb test...must be one heck of a fight!

that picture of her fighting the fish is priceless! :Wink:

by the way, it doesn't only happen with kids...with regards to being too excited about fishing that they can't sleep...because i too find myself not able to sleep the night before my major fishing trips!!

troutdog
08-12-2008, 09:48 PM
You tell a great story Bruce, at least you still know you can swim!

Awesome job getting the girls on some fish, thanks for sharing.

Hope you make it to Legends, even if it is just for a camp fire session Saturday evening. Keep the BW adventures coming!

TD

Granny Fish
08-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Is my Grand Daughter the only one who knows how to set the drag for a Pelican?

Appearently so... :ROFL:

Sounds like what started out to be a murphy's law sort of day turned out to be a lot of fun with your grand daughters. I'm sure they will remember it for a long time.

olfishergal
08-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Bruce, its bad enough I saw your Butt Sunday, Now you go skinny dipping without me!!! :ROFL: Looks like the kids had a ball out there. This is a day they'll never forget........Sea Monster!!! way too funny..........glad you guys had fun....OFG

Wingnut
08-12-2008, 10:20 PM
I don't have any trouble waking up to go fishing in the morning... I just don't go to sleep at all. :LOL:

Pretty cool day with the kids Bruce... priceless. :Cool: :Big Grin:

steve092
08-13-2008, 06:23 AM
Nice shovelnose!

Those kids sure can fish!

trollmiester
08-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Anytime you can pass the kmowlege of fishing to kids and let them learn its great.The legacy will continue.

chris
08-13-2008, 08:42 AM
great report. thanks for the hints too you never when those will come in handy

Sea Monkey
08-13-2008, 09:33 AM
That's a great looking Sea Monster!

James343
08-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Great read!! I launched out of Davies on Sunday and ahhhhhh forgot to put the plug in myself I'm glad im not the only one that made that mistake. Luckily my girlfriend is awesome with the truck and backed her in first try with only one lane open. We headed out to the Shoe and got a couple huge bat rays and some cudas. The sand bass bite was on and off all day ended up with 7 on the day. Everything released to fight another day.

Troutman65
08-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Wow Bruce, The trip started out bad ( For you ) and ended up great for the Grand Kids. Thanks for the post and pics.

bruce watson
08-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Great read!! I launched out of Davies on Sunday and ahhhhhh forgot to put the plug in myself I'm glad im not the only one that made that mistake. Luckily my girlfriend is awesome with the truck and backed her in first try with only one lane open. We headed out to the Shoe and got a couple huge bat rays and some cudas. The sand bass bite was on and off all day ended up with 7 on the day. Everything released to fight another day.

Seven sandies is a pretty good day with all that Sunday boat traffic. OFG and I were out there that day. Lots of bait in the water but they seemed to be getting chased by macs.

flyngby
08-14-2008, 08:18 PM
After the start it looks like a sucessful day on the water with the grandkids.

Very nice Shovel they brought on board there!!!!!!!

Steve

bones
08-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Good Job BW.......Sleeplessness is the disease that comes along with fishing at an early age. I always had the same problem as a young boy when my father said we were going fishin!
The pelican deal is quite funny and I had a much simuliar problem a few weeks back in SB harbor. As soon as Big Red decided to feed the pelicans a few dead chovies the damn birds were on him for the whole day. Then BR decided to throw a bunch of dead bait at me on my tube and the damn birds jumped right in my lap while I was kicking. To make a long story short.......We went WFO on pelicans also and wound up removing alot of old hooks from their mouths. One of the birds was infested with some kind of bird lice which was really freaky and disgusting. I can still feel thoses damn bugs crawling up my arms. The rule of thumb is to NEVER give the birds even ONE piece of food. If you do........Your day gets becomes a real pain in the azzzzz.
Thanks for sharing you old fart....LOL

KILL KILL KILL SLAY SLAY SLAY!!!!!!!

BIGRED KILLA
08-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the pics and report looks like you guys had a blast.Hey Bones what are you doing on FNN lol.

Bigred

Gmoney
08-15-2008, 09:19 PM
wow
great post bruce!!!
sea monsters rock!! and so do people that take kids fishing!!!

see ya soon
G$

GeordyBass
08-15-2008, 10:25 PM
was it delicious?LOL J/k those things are annoying!kill em' all!:Twisted::Twisted::Twisted:

one_leg
08-15-2008, 10:27 PM
sea monsters rock!! and so do people that take kids fishing!!!

G$

O yeah, I forgot to thank you the last time we went fishing Gmoney.

Thanks a lot for taking me fishing.

O_L

Santa Fe Eric
08-16-2008, 12:03 AM
You do tell a good story!
Great job Grandpa!

FISHINGBEE
08-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Great job with the kids.

FISHINGBEE Never forget the plug!

one_leg
08-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Now for your second big warning. YOUR BOAT WILL SINK ON THE LAUNCH RAMP IF YOU FORGET TO PUT IN THE PLUG. Yea, I did it again. But at least I found out before I started the motor so I just jumped out of the boat and drove the truck back up the ramp. Here is warning three, WHILE ON A LAUNCH RAMP, ALWAYS JUMP OFF THE FRONT OF YOUR BOAT. tHE WATER AT THE STERN IS OVER YOUR HEAD.

Bruce, is there anything you won't do to see a wet T-shirt?

bruce watson
08-16-2008, 04:07 PM
What's really bad is that it was my own wet t-shirt, but I still enjoyed it. It's not like some perv who would push someones granny overboard in a lake.

one_leg
08-16-2008, 05:19 PM
What's really bad is that it was my own wet t-shirt, but I still enjoyed it. It's not like some perv who would push someones granny overboard in a lake.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

The real juicy shots are locked safely away in the picture frame on my ceiling. :EyePop:.......j/k Tammy!!!

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/one_leg_photos/IMAG0034.jpg
She was sooooo hot she needed some cooling off, and I have a better sense of balance.
I didn't black out the background so everyone can poach my favorite spot @ DVL.