PDA

View Full Version : Pier Point Tornado on thursday

lifter07
08-12-2008, 08:22 PM
I just reserved my spot on the Tornado at Pier Point for an overnighter hoping to score on some YFT this friday. I've been on a 2 day trip once. I'm planning on bringing my Avet MXL 5.1:1 spooled with some 30 lb test. I'm planning to buy a Sabre pacifica stroker (it's only 50 bucks and i won't have enough funds for a calstar until next week). my question is: what other tackle should I bring? will that Sabre rod have enough power? When I went on that 2-day trip all we did was flyline sardines. Pier point suggested I should bring some 1oz sliding sinkers. Any advise would be great.

bsp
08-12-2008, 09:46 PM
I have heard that the crew of the toronado will try to rip you off when it comes to tips and making change. This is not first hand experience, but it is something to keep in mind.

Bring some sliding egg weights up to an ounce, some surface and yoyo irons, a good assortment of hooks, and some flourocarbon in 15lb and 25lb test and you should be good to go. Good Luck and don't forget the sunscreen!

dodgerfan
08-13-2008, 05:32 AM
ugly sticks are the best "cheap" rods on the market in my opinion. they wont break and they have feel. ive been using them since i started catching catfish at the age of 4

mako chaser
08-13-2008, 11:59 AM
I have heard that the crew of the toronado will try to rip you off when it comes to tips and making change. This is not first hand experience, but it is something to keep in mind.

Bring some sliding egg weights up to an ounce, some surface and yoyo irons, a good assortment of hooks, and some flourocarbon in 15lb and 25lb test and you should be good to go. Good Luck and don't forget the sunscreen!

The Toronado is good boat. I fish this boat often. You may want to bring a 20LB set up as well.

I've never been ripped off on this boat. How do you rip off tips?

Porkchop5420
08-13-2008, 12:35 PM

I recently did a 1.5 trip with them on saturday night. I experienced first hand the crew ripping me off when it came to tip and making change. Plus they lost my fish. The captain is good but the crew sucks. They fish when the customers are fishing. They cuss at customers for having tangles and they over charge for fillets. Its 8 bucks a fillet. Save your time and money and go down to San Diego where the service is top notch. Service on that boat sucks! That was my first and last time on that boat.

Cangler
08-13-2008, 12:41 PM
I recently did a 1.5 trip with them on saturday night. I experienced first hand the crew ripping me off when it came to tip and making change. Plus they lost my fish. The captain is good but the crew sucks. They fish when the customers are fishing. They cuss at customers for having tangles and they over charge for fillets. Its 8 bucks a fillet. Save your time and money and go down to San Diego where the service is top notch. Service on that boat sucks! That was my first and last time on that boat.

$8 a fillet ! ... wow

mako chaser
08-13-2008, 01:49 PM

I don't understand how you get ripped on a tip. A tip is something you give for service and if the service is below par I would'nt tip. It looks like you tipped even though you thought the crew was below par.

Did you speak with the captain about these issues? If so what was his response?

Ricky-Ray
08-13-2008, 01:59 PM
I've gotten mixed review's about the Toronado. I usually ride the Freedom instead. Good boat and crew. Service has always been good. If your not happy with something talk to the Captain usually it's either Tommy Lee or Mike Frank and they will make it right. Never been overcharged for anything and have always gotten my fish back from them.

Both Tommy and Mike are both the Owner's and operators of the boat. One if not both are on the boat 99% of the time.

Porkchop5420
08-13-2008, 03:17 PM
I don't understand how you get ripped on a tip. A tip is something you give for service and if the service is below par I would'nt tip. It looks like you tipped even though you thought the crew was below par.

Did you speak with the captain about these issues? If so what was his response?
The crew was giving me **** because i was asking for my change. Once i got my change one of the deckhand was giving me soo much **** that i gave him the tip just to shut him up. A older gentlemen refused to tip them and they crew were hassling him during the time of collecting the tab until they were passing out the fish.
The service sucks on that boat.

lifter07
08-13-2008, 05:29 PM
sorry to hear about the bad services. Hopefully I don't recieve the same. I just went to Young's tackle and purchased some size 1 and 1/0 gorilla light owner hooks, 30lb test P-line, some 1/2-3/4 egg sinkers and some 25lb test fluorocarbon.

Billy Bass
08-13-2008, 05:37 PM
I would recommend begging borrowing or stealing the 50 bucks and get the
calstar. The Penn Sabres can break on a decent sized fish. Ohterwise, try some tackle shops, and see if you can buy an original used Sabre. I have some I've had for almost 30 years, and with a rewrap, they still kick butt!

lifter07
08-13-2008, 06:04 PM
hmmm...are there any seekers or calstars that run for no more than $150?

calico killer kevin
08-13-2008, 06:50 PM
http://www.scsurffishing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36464

DON'T GO ON THE BOAT