PDA

View Full Version : Striped Bass Fishing Rules in California

Spear Hunter
05-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Does anyone know why the rules are so different between Northern and
Southern California, i.e. northern California it's a two fish limit and
they have to be 18 inches or over, while in Southern California its a 10 fish limit, no size limit?

dingchavez87
05-27-2007, 01:09 AM
I am not entirely sure, but I believe it may have to do with the fact that striped bass are not a native species to southern california waters, and are displacing the population of LMB. This is apparent in bodies of water connected to the california aqueduct system (Pyramid, Castaic, Skinner, and they are trying to keep them out of DVL)...while striped bass are native in northern california, namely the bay area, sacramento/delta area.

Piranha
09-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Striped bass were brought out here from the east coast! They are not native anywhere in the Pacific area! :wink:

Fisher-of-Men
09-29-2007, 04:32 AM
I am not entirely sure, but I believe it may have to do with the fact that striped bass are not a native species to southern california waters, and are displacing the population of LMB. This is apparent in bodies of water connected to the california aqueduct system (Pyramid, Castaic, Skinner, and they are trying to keep them out of DVL)...while striped bass are native in northern california, namely the bay area, sacramento/delta area.

I would have to agree with this. Good answer! :wink:

Slay! Slay! Slay! :D

Fisher-of-Men

spartafish
09-30-2007, 08:30 PM
i would have to disagree with that. striped bass are not native anywhere in california. like said earlier, they were brought over from the east coast some time in the past century

the only logical reasoning i can think of the limit being so dramatically different is because here, in nor cal, striped bass benefit the economy. there is a huge striped bass industry which ranges from undustrial farming to sport fishing boats. also, the sacramento/san juaquin river delta has proven to be able to support these fish without any detriment to any native species.

however, in so cal, there is no natural spawning which occurs and these fish are only found in the aquaduct and the lakes which they are attached to. as said earlier, in southern california, these fish have become a detriment to other fish populations. although not native themselves, striped bass populations have been proven to decimate large mouth bass populations. and the choice to protect the bass rather than the stripers was made probably because the large mouths have established themselves as a species which could naturally keep its population stable.

the reason the delta is still such a great large mouth bass fishery is because stripers have so much other things to eat up here. what you may not realize is that in nor cal, the stripers move from fresh to salt water and back again. within that range there are a lot of food choices. several varieties of shad, shrimp, perch, and many other things.

just what i think

Tracker
10-01-2007, 08:35 PM
i would have to disagree with that. striped bass are not native anywhere in california. like said earlier, they were brought over from the east coast some time in the past century. ... however, in so cal, there is no natural spawning which occurs

Some good points except that they readily reproduce in certain reservoirs. I'd have to say it looks like the striper is winning, as far as the fish most likely to survive in SoCal reservoirs contest. At Castaic the LMB rules were changed to 2 fish @ 18" about the same time the stripers went to 10 fish and no size. The striper is still gaining ground. Since neither is native to California, I say nature will decide which will thrive or survive, regardless of the regs. I like having a fish that everyone can eat if they please without starting fights.

one_leg
10-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Does anyone know why the rules are so different between Northern and
Southern California, i.e. northern California it's a two fish limit and
they have to be 18 inches or over, while in Southern California its a 10 fish limit, no size limit?

So we can catch more stripers.

If the limit were to be only two fish, hardly anyone would go fishing for them.

One_Leg