PDA

View Full Version : Baitcasting Rods?

gavin310
08-12-2008, 09:42 AM
I just got my first baitcasting reel (Avet SX 5.3) and now it's time for a rod. I can't use my spinning rods, right? I tried putting the reel on my Ugly Stick for a test and it did go on, but it didn't seem sturdy enough. I'm probably going to need to invest in a casting rod, right? Any recommendations? I surf fish mainly, but I'd also like something I can use for freshwater and also for my deep sea tuna fishing trip coming up. So, something pretty versatile :Big Grin:

Ricky-Ray
08-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Yes a spinning rod is not going to work with a baitcasting (conventional) reel. On a spinning rod the guides are under the rod and on a conventional reel the guides are on top.

You wanna get one rod that will fit the SX that will handle tuna and also freshwater? The SX can handle 20-25# line easily, and if need be can go up to 30#. I usually fish it with a Calstar 800L (15-30#) or 800m (20-40#). Both rods would be kind of overkill for freshwater unless you are going after big stripers or something like that.

gavin310
08-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Great info, thanks. I was thinking to save money I'd get a general purpose rod that could get trout as well as big *** tuna. I splurged a bit on the reel, so I should probably quit being a cheap *** and get a nice rod geared towards bigger fish and save the spinning reel for the trout.

Ricky-Ray
08-12-2008, 10:50 AM
If your going after trout, those rods are WAY overkill. They are too stiff to feel the bites of trout. Your going to be fishing for 2 completely different species of fish that require different gear and techniques.

gavin310
08-13-2008, 09:14 PM
ok I picked up a rod that would be good for surf fishing, but it seems like its too small for my Avet reel. Are there two different sizes of baitcaster reel mounts?

vertical
08-13-2008, 09:22 PM
ok I picked up a rod that would be good for surf fishing, but it seems like its too small for my Avet reel. Are there two different sizes of baitcaster reel mounts?

i belive so... my avet don't fit to well on loomis rods.... but sit perfect on shimano's and calstars

gavin310
08-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Man... it wasn't easy finding a rod that felt good for surf fishing. Ahh well, thanks for the info :Smile:

Edit: And yeah, the rod I picked up is a G. Loomis rod, so they definitely don't fit well on those

Ricky-Ray
08-14-2008, 12:00 AM
Yes there are 2 different size reel seats. The smaller one that doesn't fit the Avet's are mainly more for the small baitcasting reels.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
08-18-2008, 07:57 AM
If you want something for bay ,jetty and surf fishing . The fenwick hmtx in 8.5 ft is good for 10lb thru 20lb .mh will be perfect . That setup will cast a mile and handle any thing off the shore and 1/2 day boats.