PDA

View Full Version : 8' jig rod 20lb-50lb

spitbreaker
08-12-2008, 03:50 AM
hey guys i wonder can this rod land 25-30lb yellowfin tuna? or do i needed 7' stand up 20-60lb for that type?

thanks

Nessie Hunter
08-12-2008, 08:48 AM
On the longer rods (over 6') with decent Tuna, the fish get a little more leverage on you, so many prefer short sticks for bigger fish.
But they work great, just wear us old guys out... Fighting belt is almost a must..
Depending on the Reel you use, anything over 20# or so of drag will almost pull you off a boat. So the 50# line & rod capacity will never be reached. You will probably never use more then 25# of drag.
Unless you are strapped in a chair with harness to you and Reel..

SO with that in mind, 8' stick with 50# rating, your good to go. May work you just a little more, but will get the fish in..... Much better casting range also..

Ricky-Ray
08-12-2008, 10:54 AM
hey guys i wonder can this rod land 25-30lb yellowfin tuna? or do i needed 7' stand up 20-60lb for that type?

thanks

Yes it will work. I've done it no problems. May be a little more exhausted after the battle than normal but it's all part of the fun. Most people prefer a 7ft rod so you won't get worked over that much but I personally prefer 8 and 9 ft rods on short trips. The extra length allows me to cast my bait further and sometimes that's where the bigger fish are. I'll get my butt handed to me once in a while but it's worth it.

dodgerfan
08-13-2008, 05:48 AM
how good of a fisherman are you??? th fight is all the fun