PDA

View Full Version : Albacore's, Yellowtail's, Dorado's

one_leg
08-11-2008, 02:04 PM
I fished off of Ensenada a week ago on a friends 8 year old Skipjack with 3 others. I slept until 6:30 a.m., at which point I heard, "Gaff! Gaff! Gaff!" A friend of mine had caught a 2 foot shark while rigging up the rods in preperation of the days fishing. Ha Ha Ha, the shark went back into the drink and we set out in pursuit of our chosen quarry.

We searched for kelp paddys for a while and when we hit the first one I tossed a big sardine ten feet from it and left my reel in freespool. "What's the drill?", I asked. My buddy says, "Let it chew on it for a second, and then catch the darned thing!" A fish picks it up and before I knew it I had lost ten yards of line. So I slam it into gear and the drag starts peeling out like mad.

So what did I do? I thumbed the spool of course!

After about 3 seconds my thumb starts smoking so I reached over and buttoned down my drag. OUCH!!! Hakaveli, I swear this thing was pulling harder than a DVL Holdover trout. So I fight it for a while and it takes me back and forth on the starboard corner while trying to wrap me around the lower unit on the outdrive. We finally let it have the gaff and my first fish is creating a very BLOODY DECK. Although not a very large one, the resulting blister will live on in my memory for a lifetime.
Totally worth the temporary discomfort.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/one_leg_photos/allan_006.jpg
1st yellowtail taken south of the border on my custom wrapped SuperSeeker 6480 w/Trini30-30# Izor Clear topping 60# JB Hollow Braid.

The second one I decided to gaff myself. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.
It probably had something to do with the 10 gallons af adrenaline surging through my veins at the time.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/one_leg_photos/allan_005.jpg
Here are my two largest Yellows. Not sure of the weights, anyone care to take a guess?

Then we proceeded to troll from kelp to kelp picking them off one, two, three at a time until we got 16 onboard.
We tossed the smaller ones back to catch some other time.

We had hoped the Dorado would be biting also, but they had other things in mind.
I was assured that had we been able to get better quality bait we would have scored big time on the Dodo's.
we got a couple Dorado on the troll, mine being a smaller model, and the other one being around 15 pounds.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/one_leg_photos/allan_010-1.jpg
How much would you say my Dodo weighed?

With time flying by we decided to make the run up to the 371 in hopes of picking up some Albacore in the afternoon.
This turned out to be a great plan and we soon hooked up with the Chickens.
They were all that I had anticipated and thensome.
We saw schools of Bluefin tuna working over a huge school of bait.
The water was shimmering from the tuna chasing the bait to the surface.
The Bluefins would drop out of sight when we got just outside of casting range.
No surprise there considering all the Seiners working over that area all the time.

The albies and myself took turns working each over until I had three onboard and it was time to head back home.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/one_leg_photos/allan_011.jpg
Here is my 3rd and also the largest Albacore of the day.

I have forgotten the particulars of that day where the weather was concerned.
Just one look at the pics should tell you that the conditions were perfect.
Overcast all day except for a couple hours around the middle of the day.
Hardly any swell, just a breeze, clear water, few boats.

We used a variety of lures including Cedar Plugs(Purple/Black and Natural), Yo-Zuri's, Rapalas, various skirted jigs and some irons.

Newell's, Penn's, Shimano's were the reels of choice on various rods.
Large Sardines were all we could get and unfortunately they weren't that great.

Totals for the day
5 Albacore
16 Yellowtail
2 Dorado

I ran into Vince (Red Drum)at the Shelter Island Launch Ramp. We had a short chat and I said goodbye. He was heading out with Jason("jscrib") and some buddies. I wish I had had more time to hang out with the guys but we were on a very tight schedule. It is always a pleasure talking to Vince as he is a really cool guy with a wealth of knowledge where fishing is concerned.

Thanks to the Captain and my fellow passengers for making this my most productive and educational fishing experience ever.

Tight Lines, and God Bless.
One_Leg

Granny Fish
08-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Looks like you had fun and are broadening your fishing horizons. :Wink:

steve092
08-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Nice report O_L!

Gmoney
08-11-2008, 03:48 PM
congrats alan

great report and pix
(even if i had already heard the recap 10,000 times :ROFL:)

seriously...NICE JOB!!!

laters
G$

GeordyBass
08-11-2008, 03:48 PM
you made me proud one_leg!

Ray Lopez
08-11-2008, 03:55 PM
good job Uno Leggo!

SoCalGuy7
08-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Some quality fish! Great report. Makes me want to get in a salt trip...

Bet those fish will be delicious!
SCG7

yamafish
08-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Wholly smoke..... Nice Albacore :Shocked: Wishin' I was down there !
Good job!
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/rfish7/yt.jpg
I'll bring the sushi rice and soy sauce

cappo
08-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Way to go Alan. Thats a nice sized albi.
I think Gmoney wants to hear about this day again.

Troutman65
08-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Did you eat the heart of the first TY, Albie you landed ?

one_leg
08-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Did you eat the heart of the first TY, Albie you landed ?

Of course. I did not however bite the head off. It was just too big.

Troutman65
08-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Of course. I did not however bite the head off. It was just too big.

You got proof ?

one_leg
08-11-2008, 04:53 PM
You got proof ?

I'm sorry Parick, I was too busy fishing to stop and get a pic. I promise the next time I go out I will get pics of me eating the heart of every one that I catch, not just the first one. I gotta go now. I gotta go rack some kegs for the Legends.

Cangler
08-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Outstanding !

What a great trip , well done

fishindude420
08-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Nice job out there alan!

BIGRED KILLA
08-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Hey Alan now do you really need all those yellow tails for just you guys come on 16 and those tunas and Doritos hell yea you do way to Go out there thanks for the pics and report.

Bigred

one_leg
08-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Hey Alan now do you really need all those yellow tails for just you guys come on 16 and those tunas and Doritos hell yea you do way to Go out there thanks for the pics and report.

Bigred

Thanks Lucas, I consider myself lucky to enjoy eating fish.

Troutman65
08-11-2008, 11:57 PM
Did you get any Dorado steaks Alan?

What fought harder, The Albie or the YT ?

Hitts0n
08-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Dayum thats some good eating fish.Bruce Wats0n one time gave me some of that fish,it was great! CongRats on your sore thumb! Thnks for sharing!

one_leg
08-12-2008, 08:35 AM
Did you get any Dorado steaks Alan?

What fought harder, The Albie or the YT ?

I had fresh grilled albacore steak sandwiches the first day.

Then I brined and smoked what I didn't give to my relatives and friends.

It is delicious.

What's up next? Bluefin I hope! But I'd be almost as happy to land some Yellowfin Tuna.

Bluefin Sashimi is my favorite. Followed closely by Mackrel Sashimi and Saltwater eel Sashimi.

one_leg
08-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Nice report O_L!

Thanks a lot!

olfishergal
08-12-2008, 02:10 PM
good job out there Alan...You certanily get around.....

barbiegirl
08-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Thats my boy! Congrats! :)

Now if I could only get out there without falling askeep. lol

one_leg
08-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Thats my boy! Congrats! :)

Now if I could only get out there without falling askeep. lol

I promise not to drug you the next time.........:Neutral:

one_leg
08-12-2008, 02:36 PM
good job out there Alan...You certanily get around.....

Chris, stare into my eyes. You will do exactly as I say. Outfish Bruce!!!!

barbiegirl
08-12-2008, 02:47 PM
I promise not to drug you the next time.........:Neutral:

Gary has a method he swears by. If it works on him it has to work on me. He's not even human. :Razz:

deanhall32
08-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Alan,

Didn't realize how popular you are and how anxious people were to see you with some nice quality fish!!! Nice job

Troutman65
08-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Alan,

Didn't realize how popular you are and how anxious people were to see you with some nice quality fish!!! Nice job

Ditto.:Worship:

one_leg
08-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Gary has a method he swears by. If it works on him it has to work on me. He's not even human. :Razz:

Barbie, I think Gary's recipe includes 2 Bonine. You OD'd on 2, remember?

I have a sure-fire cure for sea sickness you can use. They are called PLACEBO. :Big Grin:

O_L

deanhall32
08-12-2008, 09:45 PM

TM65

Cool!!!

one_leg
08-12-2008, 10:09 PM

You guys are totally nuts.

TroutOnly
08-13-2008, 07:39 AM
Keep youre hat on when people take youre pics,the glare of youre baldy almost blinded me,youre pal holding the dodo looks like tuber-x,nice job alan,,,,,,

one_leg
08-13-2008, 07:57 AM
Keep youre hat on when people take youre pics,the glare of youre baldy almost blinded me,youre pal holding the dodo looks like tuber-x,nice job alan,,,,,,

:Razz:THANKS BOB, you're lucky it was overcast when we decided to snap these shots or it might have been permanent blindness. :Cool:

barbiegirl
08-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Which one is the Dodo, you or the fish?

one_leg
08-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Which one is the Dodo, you or the fish?

BOTH!!!!!!!

Barbiegirl, the one wearing the red GULP hat is me!

O_L

BassEngineer
08-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Nice dude! ...I'm getting hungry for some sushi. Spicy tuna roll?? mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Zombie Bass ATTACK
08-13-2008, 12:25 PM
O_L what kind of powerbait were you using??? i need to know next time i go slay some yellows,do dos,chickens???

one_leg
08-13-2008, 12:29 PM
O_L what kind of powerbait were you using??? i need to know next time i go slay some yellows,do dos,chickens???

:Shocked:DuMong's:Rolls Eyes:

:ROFL:

Zombie Bass ATTACK
08-13-2008, 12:33 PM
:shocked:dumong's:rolls eyes:

:rofl:

hahaha i know your secret bait now!

one_leg
08-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Nice dude! ...I'm getting hungry for some sushi. Spicy tuna roll?? mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I like the Otoro better than the Shiro maguro. But I enjoy them all.

paDDy
08-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Nice going out there, those yellows are not so easy to bring in on the light stuff.

one_leg
08-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I wanna go fish the kelp beds for them in La Jolla.
I heard that there really fun to get in amongst the forest.

PONTOON
08-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Hey Alan, you're right I missed this post but I now must say it was a pleasure to read and the pictures, like always, tell the story of the day.
Congratulations on the outstanding catches and I hope to read about some more saltwater adventures.:Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up:

one_leg
08-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Hey Alan, you're right I missed this post but I now must say it was a pleasure to read and the pictures, like always, tell the story of the day.
Congratulations on the outstanding catches and I hope to read about some more saltwater adventures.:Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up:

Thanks Terry, I'll do my best!

Ambassadorhawg
08-16-2008, 06:40 PM
WTG Alan!!! Nice to see that you are also out there getting into the action of the incredible season we are blessed with this year!

boxl0bster
08-19-2008, 06:28 PM
great report alan! i cant wait till i can afford to fish for these haha.

LADYSTAR
08-21-2008, 05:43 PM
So Jealous! Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to ur awsome and very detailed post!!! Howard and I just went last weekend and our fish are NOT as big as urs! Oh well! Thanks for keeping me in the loop and sending me the link! Wow I am so envious! Hey r u going to Irvine on Sat?! If so see yah there!!!

one_leg
08-22-2008, 01:45 AM
Yeah Yeah, Mike, Ernie, sure thing thanks a lot............

So Jealous! Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to ur awsome and very detailed post!!! Howard and I just went last weekend and our fish are NOT as big as urs! Oh well! Thanks for keeping me in the loop and sending me the link! Wow I am so envious! Hey r u going to Irvine on Sat?! If so see yah there!!!

Kind Sweet Wonderful Darling Kim, of course I will be there on Saturday, I wouldn't miss it for the world!!!
They say that Envy is one of the 7 Deadly Sins....... FYI, I love sinners!!!
I bet your fish were just as exciting as mine, if not more so!!!
If I don't spot you first, please look me up!!! I'll be there somewhere eventually.

flyngby
08-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Alan,

Great Fish, Pics, and Commentary!!!!!

Looks like a great time had by all.

Congrats on the YT, DODO, and Albie's

Steve

one_leg
08-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Alan,

Great Fish, Pics, and Commentary!!!!!

Looks like a great time had by all.

Congrats on the YT, DODO, and Albie's

Steve

Thanks a lot Steve. It was a blast and I'm going back for more pretty soon.

The big White Sea Bass are the next target. I'll make sure to have my drag set proper then.

O_L

chivo
09-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Awsome trip. awsome pics. I should have gone saltwater fishing when i was home.i paid 120.00 anind caught nothing at a pay lake. screw it, next time. keep the pics comming like you do best.

one_leg
09-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Awsome trip. awsome pics. I should have gone saltwater fishing when i was home.i paid 120.00 anind caught nothing at a pay lake. screw it, next time. keep the pics comming like you do best.

Thanks a lot Bro, I really appreciate the kind words.

You should check with Ghetto Dad at Long Beach Sportfishing to see about an Offshore trip.
They are still getting good numbers on the BFT& YFT OFFSHORE .

primo55
07-01-2009, 10:22 AM
sweet report,nice catch!

lalo56
07-01-2009, 10:26 AM
sweet report,nice catch!

lol this is last years and person is not here. :ROFL:

victor101
07-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the report...keep em coming